Author Topic: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers  (Read 10499 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
Feral you sound like my brother from another mother. I didn't like fighting, never looked for it, but I loved the during and after. Your name suits you.... the most feral instinct there is.....the other is flight. I never liked that one. I basically haven't taken shit from anyone since I was 15 or so and I've always hated bullies. Lots of fights when I was younger (there are lots of bullies) but times have certainly changed. Not only am I not as physically able but you are far more likely to face a weapon or a lawyer these days. I also like to think I've matured....some of the anger in my past is downright embarassing to me now.  Haven't gotten physical in a long time. I am fortunate to be a big old ugly mofo with a weird sneer so nobody really gives me much shit these days..... ::)

BTW.....Anybody else REALLY want to go down and surf/hang with Feral. I'm thinking that talking story could be all time, surf sounds pretty good too..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »
The fun is all over later on when you replay the incident and realize the guy was still talking when your fist intercepted his nose. I swear on a stack of bibles (easy for an agnostic) that I've never meant to sucker punch anyone, but that's pretty much all I've ever done. EXTREMELY indefensible if the other guy lawyers up. I am so lucky no one ever did. It all seems very stupid now, and very selective. I never got mad enough to hit anyone that I was sure could disassemble me. Funny how that worked.

Unfortunately my attitude and my mouth still put me in positions that I probably can't really deal with.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
I rarely sucker punched, usually took the 1st one in fact. Unfortunately once that happened something clicked and the monster would come out.  These days I try to keep it contained.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 04:58:55 AM »
sadly pacifism doesnt work with bullies--it attracts them--they seek victims who will cower and take what is dealt them.

had to stand up to them often as a boy in nyc--but the standing up, even if they beat hell outta me, was what made it stop--too much risk to a bully's status if a kid they picked on took it to them.

and often the bullies never really learned to fight. they picked on easy victims, so when push came to shove, they had no skillz.

hate bullies. and they arent just boys. and it isnt always physical. as a parent of daughters this was obvious--read "queen bees and wannabees"--icky's prolly read/lived this as a teacher

these days it's all f'ed up tho with internet shaming and guns--kid stands up to a bully these days and humiliates--kid can get shot
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
The fun is all over later on when you replay the incident and realize the guy was still talking when your fist intercepted his nose. I swear on a stack of bibles (easy for an agnostic) that I've never meant to sucker punch anyone, but that's pretty much all I've ever done. EXTREMELY indefensible if the other guy lawyers up. I am so lucky no one ever did. It all seems very stupid now, and very selective. I never got mad enough to hit anyone that I was sure could disassemble me. Funny how that worked.

Unfortunately my attitude and my mouth still put me in positions that I probably can't really deal with.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
Yep, I hate bullies, and yep, as a kid, I usually took the first punch with attitude , that is until 4 bouncers beat the shit out of me up in Papas and Beer in Rosarito beach around 1991. Broken ribs and I peed blood for a month..    After that, I said never again, and I took up Aikido and Aki-Jijutsu, and it is my passion... No fist fights since then, and I walked away from most fights(well not true, I knocked down a local at zippers in 95, but he deserved it and I never had problems surfing there since then).    I have had to apply a few wrist locks in bars to calm someone down, but other than that, standing up to bullies and not being afraid, avoids most conflicts...

Feral...  In Mexico, you dont have to worry about legal issues with a fist fight. The cops would laugh if someone went to them and said they were in a fist fight... The only problem would be getting into the fist fight with the wrong guy, and then you might get stabbed or shot in the back one night...

And yes, the Mexican attitude is so cool down here.  The only attitude I get is from visiting Gringos or older Gringos who buy here and think they own the surf, just because they bought a piece of dirt.  My pat reply in Spanish is "Vete la chingada pinche Gringo, no es tu tierra y dejar tu pinche pendijadas en tu tierra"  They do a double take and usually leave me alone.

You Hawaiian white guys are so tough.  I surfed the north shore a few winters when I was a kid on early 80s.   I got beat up and picked on so much, at the end, I was getting used to it...

All's I want to do is surf, enjoy my life and live to the fullest.  I dont thread or impose on anyone, but I dont run from Assholes either..

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »
i get it all the time and i never leave u say shit to me or snake me its on. fu-ck these clowns.  i always offer to get out and settle it.  if not i make there life in the water hell. I'm done being nice and leaving. u don't like sup u go surf somewhere else!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
I have a good friend who is a ex-seal  he told me once  that secret to winning  most fights is an un-repelable first strike.  He should know he is short 5'6  or so  and gets picked on  a lot  and always walks away.
not me  if I got into a fight these days I would probably stroke out
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
The Joe Pesci manifesto
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »
Personally I think its just best to avoid potential conflicts in the first place by staying away from crowded lineups.  Use the added advantage of the paddle and higher volume board even if its a lesser wave.  Is it really fun to have to prove yourself?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal