Author Topic: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers  (Read 10498 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
I was riding a 8'11" Allwave.  I am 6' 190 lbs and can turn or stop the board to maneuver through traffic.

So probably no bigger, or heavier than the longboard the guy was probably riding. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
the head high freight trains that come with Sept will- as you prob. know- clear this spot out right quick.
Anything over head high tends to eliminate the whiners, posers, and the wanks that sit around glaring at SUPs and missing every wave that comes their way. Unfortunately then you get the guys who can really surf, and they might have a more legitimate beef.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 12:22:16 AM »
Geez...you guys make me sound like an ogre. I guess I kind of do look like one these days but please. 1st I rarely get comments, yes size does matter (probably the ogre looks too...:) ). 2nd, I would not have yelled at the lifeguard. Got yelled at Sunday for surfing beyond the limits, apologized profusely and paddled away. 3rd...yes I would have fucked with the dickhead for awhile just for fun, but I rarely stay in one spot long enough to draw much ire.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:25:00 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
I rarely see any sort of prejudice, but maybe that's just where I surf. (Which isn't that often.) I might have gotten a stink-eye from a woman surfer at Head-of-the-Meadow a few days ago. I got in the water and as I got near her, I offered a friendly hello. She said nothing and paddled away. Maybe she thought I was hitting on her or something. I don't know.

Is it more of a West Coast thing where the breaks are a little more confined? Maybe the open beaches and smaller waves out here are just making that less likely?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
What he said.

You did the right thing especially with your son in the water  he will learn from you  and do the right thing.   well done   I know the vibe blows the session some time but you got 20 waves the proner   what maybe 1 or 2.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
What he said.

You did the right thing especially with your son in the water  he will learn from you  and do the right thing.   well done   I know the vibe blows the session some time but you got 20 waves the proner   what maybe 1 or 2.

In the end you won.  Guy would never change his mind so why waste any, especially with your son, precious time.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
Exactly. I started a thread at Swaylocks recently and a few days later some guy chimed in and said *with attitude* that I wasn't getting many replies because it was about a sup. I replied and told him that I understand the sentiment towards sup surfers if they don't know what they are doing, hog the waves, cut people off, and get in the way, but that I feel that towards anyone in the water that does such things regardless of what they paddled out on - and that I don't do any of those things so he shouldn't have an issue with me. He wrote back and said: "I just don't like to see them in the lineup", hence why it's not worth wasting time with meatheads.

What he said.

In the end you won.  Guy would never change his mind so why waste any, especially with your son, precious time.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:19 PM »
When you really get down to it, most people here have probably been on both sides of hater and hated at some point.  Most people who came from a surfing background and are over 50 but under 70 were likely shortboarders in the 70's and 80's (or even late 60's) who probably hated longboarders (until they made the switch to longboards in the 90s).  Both longboarders AND shortboarders traditionally hate spongers.  Most people who decided to pick up the paddle and take it out to the surf lineup were already aware of the animosity. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:03:29 PM by surf4food »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
I don't know I can agree exactly with that if there was a hater thing it was more frustration of  non locals  surfing  my local break and then calling me and the regular crowd  the non locals   guys form oc doing that  and talking s--- in th eline up tends to bug me
as far as board type goes  as I remember started in 64  on along board.    then short boards came along and pretty much every bodywas   amped of the "new direction"   then came some  age  and  first it was 8 foot fun  shaped  ( which were just  egg like   and not all that  longer than the 7'11 santa cruz guns we rode.)  as part of the "short board  phase"     a few years later   we were on   9 footers then 10 footers     probably by the late 90's early thousands    during the time of  long board magazine   still don't really remember any conflict about boards  it was mostly about  rider ability & position. maybe some agree towards spongers  but again it was because they were dropping in or shoulder hopping.  was I recall. but  that was just me and according to my wife and kids I can't remember anything...
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:09 PM »
Closest I've come to disliking the gear that people use is snowboarders, who have a tendancy to plunk down in the middle of a run and chat. Most skiers don't do that, they find a place off to the edge, or a natural stopping point, but snowboarders want an easy path to get rolling again, so plunk--new and potentially unexpected slalom pole. There's also the tendency to not see you when they're going backside. But people got used to it, and for myself, I always figured they had as much right to enjoy the mountain as I did.

There, as with surfing, what bugs me is bad behavior, not choice of equipment. And bad behavior includes giving people crap because they don't do what you do. I go along with the general agreement in Maui to leave Honolua and Ho'okipa (except for Lanes) to the surfers. I think it's outrageous that state employees in California have decided it's okay to shove people to one corner of a public beach on some slim pretext. I'm amazed that hasn't been legally challenged yet. It's one thing for a representative group to come to an agreement with other surfers, quite another to pay the same fee, to do the same kind of thing, and be discriminated against for the simple choice of using a paddle. But I don't live there, so it ain't my doggie.

As far as what other people think, who cares. Everyone has a right to have an opinion, but that doesn't mean you have to pay any attention to it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Yeah, thanks to California's attitude towards SUPers, I've learned how to prone surf. Only way to surf trestles.

When in Rome........

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 05:21:00 AM »
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me a few years ago.. I was going to ignore him and about to paddle away and surf a softer wave 100 yards away, when he paddled towards me and acted aggressively.  Wrong move.. I told him flatly" I have been surfing here most of my life and I am not going anywhere"  Being the stubborn SOB I am.   I ended up surfing there the whole summer, just to piss him off and make a point.   Near the end of the summer, he thought he was going to try some violence on me, but basically when he saw I wasn't afraid, he backed down, and with a frustrated tear in his eye, paddled away.  I usually surf spot where I surf with a few friends or alone, but I decided to go back to the rock this last April on a good swell.. The guy was there, and he paddled up and apologized for being such a SOB last summer, blew me away. 

As I get older, I know violence isn't the answer, but when faced with the SOBs of this world, I will be damned if I walk away(even though I am falling apart), just because they say so.  I have every right to enjoy my life as much as anyone else...

Haters will hate, on land and in the water, and they want to involve you in their drama..

I try 100% not to get involved in someone else's Drama, life is much better that way....

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »
Oh and plenty of Zoners make jokes about butt boarders, though that's not really hate ;)

Yeah I agree we should not let others push us around as we have and every right to be out there (though noobs need to have some familiarity with surf etiquette before ever paddling out to a lineup for the first time) but I personally cannot afford to get into a violent conflict.  On one end, I can't afford to get my ass kicked (the more likely scenario) but on the other if I win an actual physical conflict I not afford the possible legal ramifications.  It's just not worth it so if I get vibed out of an area I will probably go quietly with my tail down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:03:43 AM by surf4food »

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
I was explaining some cultural differences between Mexico and The U.S. to my wife; I pointed out the kids and teenagers on skateboards, short, long and Razor Scooters all hooting and enjoying the little hill in front of our house. In the U.S., at least how I remember, the short performance skateboard kids would dog the longboard kids and forget about it if they're on Razors or Inline Skates. People see a guy in a new VW Beetle and say "Cool car..." as opposed to the U.S. where they would say "Obviously gay..." People will clap for a Boogie Boarder shooting straight into the beach on a chest or head-high wave. That un-jaded attitude is one of the things I love the most about Mexico. I'm hoping the regular surf vibe doesn't exist here when I take my SUP down to the pier or other surf spots. I can't get into problems here cause it isn't my country. Problem is, I always loved fighting. Always waited for a good reason, never was a bully, never fought little guys, but I can't go to that level here. Probably a good thing. And I've only been tempted twice in over a year! This long empty beachbreak is curing my soul, now with an SUP I can surf it without further destroying my back. I can already deal with slightly overhead barrels while alone in the water, or with only 3 or 4 other guys, but I still wouldn't take my SUP into a crowd. Hope I don't run into flak at the more established surf spots here. I learned how to fight in the water by the time I was 11 or 12, and it eats at my stomach to not punch someone when they mouth off, especially in the water. But that life is past for me now. So I just hope I don't catch flak, or I'll have to stock up on the TUMS.
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
feral--youve regained stoke in spite of your back--dont let some dbag fock with that--you may need to eat a bit of crow and some tums--but that aint nuttin cuz you got stoke!

speakin of nuttin-as in good for nothing-wish i had your skillz--quiets the dbags

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal