Author Topic: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers  (Read 10521 times)

Garmize

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »
Today I got a chance to head out during lunch.  Winds tides and everything lined up for some great waves.  Grabed my son and get to the beach and it is crowded.  We surf in Bay Head/Point Pleasant NJ area.  There is a jetty and you can surf on both sides of the jetty.  One side is Bayhead and the other is point beach.  Since its crowded on the point side I go to Bay head.  Catch a nice 4' wave and get a decent ride.  A life guard whistles me in saying paddle surfing is illegal in Bayhead and go to the other side of the jetty.  I have been surfing in this exact spot for 4 to 5 years with no issues.  So I move, and a a-hole surfer tells me he is afraid for the other surfers and my board is to big and can't be controlled.  Mean while I been surfing there for 4.5 years and none of the people (surfers,life guards,groms ect) seem to have a problem with my control.  I have never hit anyone and stay clear of everyone.  I never snake a wave or even attempt it if there is a surfer within 20 feet of me.   The guy says the surf is no place for paddle boards and points to a grom paddling over to us and says I worry for his safety.  I look at him and say I think I am more worried about his safety than you jack a$$ because that's my son.  I sit there of a minute to decide if I want to run into him, snake every way he attempts, or be the better man and find a less crowded spot.  I decided to go to the less crowded spot because the whole reason I like the sport is to relax and just chill in the ocean.  If the guy continues to give me grief I am not one whom typically backs down from confrontation, so I might address the situation in a different manner next time.  In the end I moved and caught about 20 nice waves, I would not have caught that many if I stayed in the crowded line up.  So all in all it was a good sesh, but the negative vibe kinda blows.  If he was nicer about it I would of just moved and it would not be a big deal.  I kinda told him he is one of the reasons why people think Jersey people are a-holes.
8'8"    Cannibal Blade - 118L
8'11"  Allwave - 150L
10'0"  Mana - 210L

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: First experience with prejudice towards paddle surfers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
What do they say, "success is the best revenge"? or something like that. They have the attitude, you got the waves.
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
I would have asked the lifeguard to cite the regulation. Most locales where lifeguards are enforcing something like this they are basing it on the Coast Guard classification, which has been clarified to exclude the surf zone. If there isn't a clear regulation I'd talk to the guys boss, and if I wasn't happy with what I heard I'd talk to the boss's boss. And then I'd sue if that were necessary.

But that's me.

I agree with you, the reason I go surfing is to escape and clear my head of crap. But when someone brings crap to my escape they'd better stand by.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
"I'm worried about those pointy short boards"  - obviously more dangerous than most SUP's.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
I've paddled out and surfed at 59th st in Ocean City the past three mornings w/o  any problems or conflicts.  Friendly time of day greetings and chat about conditions - and I'm no local, probably looked like a sore thumb due to no neoprene.

We did have a couple run-ins with neighbors at the rental house -just wrote them off as jerks.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
You did the right thing especially with your son in the water  he will learn from you  and do the right thing.   well done   I know the vibe blows the session some time but you got 20 waves the proner   what maybe 1 or 2,.  I had an incident once where i   was surfing and this sus guy's son got in the way I had to bail the board and the kid was terrified that  I was gonna yell at him or worse,. ( Picture this fat old grandpa  type  yelling at a 15year old kid in the water  Nope not happening then not ever)  I paddled over to him talked to him explained what  had happened  and we talked for a while the kid was relived his dad came over   40ish fit would have kicked my ass all the to texas  if I would have escalated it  but he stopped short looked  and watched  and smiled .   then we all talked and surfed together  the rest of the time      a good day
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:56:06 PM »
It's always better to chase the mellow, buutttt,,,,I've been known to swim in and drop the paddle on shore, paddle out and never let said offender ever see a wave,,,,after an hour or so,,,,,ask him if he's sure you wanted me to not paddle ;D

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
I agree with you, the reason I go surfing is to escape and clear my head of crap. But when someone brings crap to my escape they'd better stand by.

And thats why I enjoy being in the surf with Stoneaxe (always nice having a Babcock by your side when stinks eyes fly in the line up, size does matter and ignorance is not tolerated  !!)
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
Like you said, Garmize, you got plenty of waves staying away from the pack.  That's the beauty of SUP surfing; getting waves the proners can't. Whenever you paddle out into a crowded lineup on a SUP, the odds of that kind of confrontation go way up, so why bother?  Unless you enjoy that kind of thing.  I usually stay away from the pack for that kind of reason.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Garmize

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
In this situation I am the 40ish person whom has played rugby for 15 years and not afraid to mix it up if the situation arises.  I sat in front of the surfer dusche for a few minutes deciding what I wanted to do, but as my son started to paddle over on his board I decided to take the high road and not let this person ruin my stoke.  I also figured if he is an ahole its his problem not mine.  It wasn't like he was challenging me, it was more like he was ignorant of what paddle surfing is.  He thought paddle surfing = not in control and hurting people.  He had know clue as most don't.  I am sure he has never paddle surfed before in his life.  If I see him again and he acts the same way and my son is not with me the outcome might be different.
8'11"  Allwave - 150L
10'0"  Mana - 210L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 06:01:31 PM »
And thats why I enjoy being in the surf with Stoneaxe (always nice having a Babcock by your side when stinks eyes fly in the line up, size does matter and ignorance is not tolerated  !!)

Fundamental difference between Bob and I. I'd go yell at the lifeguard, and ignore the dickhead making comments. Bob would yell at both of them. See, I'm at least 50% more mellow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
Sounds like you have it under control, both board and temper. My recent thread addressed that same issue.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27901.0.html
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
In this situation I am the 40ish person whom has played rugby for 15 years and not afraid to mix it up if the situation arises.  I sat in front of the surfer dusche for a few minutes deciding what I wanted to do, but as my son started to paddle over on his board I decided to take the high road and not let this person ruin my stoke.  I also figured if he is an ahole its his problem not mine.  It wasn't like he was challenging me, it was more like he was ignorant of what paddle surfing is.  He thought paddle surfing = not in control and hurting people.  He had know clue as most don't.  I am sure he has never paddle surfed before in his life.  If I see him again and he acts the same way and my son is not with me the outcome might be different.

May I ask, what size board were you riding?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Garmize

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
I was riding a 8'11" Allwave.  I am 6' 190 lbs and can turn or stop the board to maneuver through traffic.
8'11"  Allwave - 150L
10'0"  Mana - 210L

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
as someone who SUPs this exact same spot....i can tell you there are half a dozen other guys that also sup there that rip pretty good...

Its summer....and its Bay Head. 

Every NYC Hedge Fund manager in the last 3 years has tried a Sup in Bay Head....very bad for the guys who can actually surf.....In addition every wanna be local pro who's parents have some cash are surfing there till they go back to college or their parents close up the beach house....

None of which equals a great scene....a true shame bc that Jetty can fire.

the head high freight trains that come with Sept will- as you prob. know- clear this spot out right quick.

I head right to Island Beach SP if im surfing between 9 and 5 when the rest of the island has guards or crowds everyone onto the 'surfing' beaches. Generally a bit of a sand bar search but no other surfers some times not even people....(if you have a 4wd....and a long lunch break)

Theres also a great Mantoloking alternative for the hours that the guards are out- PM me for details.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard