Author Topic: SUP Safety  (Read 4222 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
SUP Safety
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:50:17 AM »

There has been a lot of safety talk lately on the Zone.  If you were to put together a SUP specific safety suggestion set for the various types SUP (below), what would that look like?  If it becomes valuable we can sticky it.  It would be great if we could have a resource that new participants could be pointed to.

Here is the ACA's vid:

I also wanted to point out the relative safety of SUP.  Check us against the other paddle sports. 
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.americancanoe.org/resource/resmgr/General-documents/PaddleInfoGraphic_Final_9-17.pdf
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.americancanoe.org/resource/resmgr/General-documents/USCG_Statistcs_2014_partial.pdf

Of course, 16 fatalities in 2012/2013 is a lot.

Feel free to modify with details such as temp, wind, etc.

Wave
River
Swiftwater/Whitewater
Lake
Downwind
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:13:54 AM by Admin »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Safety
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
My suggestion would be for a leash on all types of water.  Of course you would modify the leash and its attachment method for the varying conditions. 
Surf would be your typical straight leash - with a quick disconnect at the cuff for larger wave sizes. 
Lakes / flat water rivers / downwinders would be a coiled leash to keep the leash up and out of the water.
Whitewater would be a coiled leash - WITH a quick release AND the leash located / attached near the mid section of the body - allowing easy access to the leash removal if needed. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
My $0.02

Wave - I'll leave that to an expert.

River - Leash and PFD. Coil is best, quick release/easy access is necessary. Actual vest PFD is best.

Swiftwater/Whitewater - Helmet, adequate clothing, whitewater PFD. See PRG. TBH I'm not sure on leashes in those scenarios. I'll leave that to an experienced person as well.

Lake - Broad range of sizes and possible conditions fit under that heading, but a leash is good, an inflatable PFD or vest on is an alternative. A vest on the board with no leash is useless. You're not tethered to either form of flotation (the board or the actual PFD) in that case. They could both go bye-bye in a hurry.

Downwind - LEASH. In most cases but especially cold water or river downwinding I'd say double leash (if your board has the points for it) or PFD as redundancy.

The main thing is to talk to someone who's paddled the area or the conditions beforehand. They will be able to help you delineate what is most appropriate for your spot. If you buy a board from a shop, tell them where you're likely going to be paddling. (Then again, if they don't ask you that first thing, maybe call a different shop...) If you rent a board, press them for the rationale of their safety requirements. It should be more well-reasoned than a CYA liability statement. If you go out with friends, press them to think about the full spectrum of conditions you're going to encounter.

Also, swimming skill is your most valuable asset when everything else fails. If you don't feel confident in the water, know that you're putting yourself at the mercy of your equipment. Strongly consider taking lessons, swimming at the health club, or taking other measures to beef up your skill and comfort in the water.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »
Somewhere at the top of my list would be to share (text) a float-plan with someone reliable, especially if you are paddling any distance. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »

Also, swimming skill is your most valuable asset when everything else fails. If you don't feel confident in the water, know that you're putting yourself at the mercy of your equipment. Strongly consider taking lessons, swimming at the health club, or taking other measures to beef up your skill and comfort in the water.
This would be my first recommendation for all types of paddling, and I'm glad you mentioned so quickly. It IS what you need when all else fails, but it also is so important nobody should ever paddle who doesn't have at least basic swimming skills for the safest conditions, and strong skills (which unfortunately many people think means ability to swim a few laps in a pool) for more challenging ones.

The first question anyone new to standup should be asked before they are allowed to rent a board or go out with other paddlers is, "Can you swim?"  Yes--great.  No--come back after you can.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 07:36:45 AM »
Here in southeast everything is dam controlled and when I talk to people about getting into SUP, I show them the TVA ap to check releases and windalert to check wind. Even those who were born here had no idea of the variance of flows and act a bit overwhelmed at evaluating cubic feet per second. By the time I discuss the pfd rules and leash, they lose interest!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Big Winds has a great list for Downwind Safety which IMO covers the main points

http://bigwindsblog.com/2014/06/23/sup-downwind-safety-guidelines-2/
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »
Great that this conversation is finally being taken seriously. I think the various combinations of safety gear are already pretty well known within the niches of the sport. Have 5 well respected waterman from each do a PSA, distribute widely.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:20:46 AM »
The Gorge businesses did a kite safety vid a few years ago using local kids.  It had a very down to earth, approachable feel.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
pdx, I do agree with you, swimming ability is important, but it shouldn't totally negate one's ability to enjoy SUP.  Adaptive paddling has been a part of the ACA canoe and kayak world for many years, and I would think that SUP would be even easier depending on the modifications one required (which would obviously relate to their disability).

http://www.supthemag.com/features/standup-from-a-wheelchair/

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard