Author Topic: Smokey Slocan Lake Tour  (Read 3867 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Smokey Slocan Lake Tour
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
The smoke has gotten really bad in southern BC, but it's still warm out and I have wanted to tour the entire Slocan Lake on a paddleboard for a couple of years now, so a paddling buddy and I made the trek. This lake is a 40 km beauty that warrants a two day trip minimum, but we only had time for one night but still had enough time to check out a few nice spots on the lake. I don't have a GPS but figure we toured approximately 45 kilometres  over the two days we were on the water. The first day was a shorter one because we had an afternoon start and with how thick the smoke is, we are losing over an hour of day light and it's getting worse. It was easy paddling the entire trip with no headwinds, with the only side chop coming when we went to shore as there was sometimes some decent tailwinds with fun little swells. My newish Naish Glide handles pretty well with a load of gear on it.

We set out at the north end of the lake at Hills beach and spent the night at Sandy point in the Valhalla wilderness park and made our way to Slocan city, stopping along the way at a couple of spots. I included some pics from a canoe and previous paddleboard trip I did on the lake earlier in the summer to show what the area looks like without that hazy layer of smoke.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:26:56 PM by robon »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Smokey Slocan Lake Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:25 PM »
Now some pics without the smoke from an earlier trip.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:33:06 PM by robon »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »
Wow, that looks slightly scary... Both to breath, and in the big scheme of things...
Beauty lake though,   You're lucky to live in the Kootenays Robon! 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
What a beautiful place. Don't think my lungs would allow me to paddle in that smoke though....yikes.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
It definitely wasn't ideal conditions for paddling, but the forecast went from smoke to rain, so the window was pretty narrow to go on a trip without waiting for weeks. We had around 7-8 days of thick smoke and now it's been raining off and on every day for over a week. We haven't had an actual sunny day in a long time up this way. It's good that the fires are under control now but it was a shitty end to the summer. Going to get nice again later this week, but that chill is in the air at night now.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »
Another nice paddling place :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520