Author Topic: Front-side buoy turns on a race board?  (Read 3443 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Front-side buoy turns on a race board?
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
Been eyeing a couple races on the calendar so over the past couple weeks I've saved about 5min at the end of a paddle just to do some buoy turns.  Hope Conner and Kai aren't reading this, but it's definitely my weak point.  I'm actually surprised at how much improvement just a little focused practice brings.  I don't do many races but hopefully from here forward I'll be able to do something a bit more tactical around a buoy instead of just going big, wide and lazy.

Love to hear what people are doing as far as practicing and technique/pointers.  Also, specifically--when you need to turn frontside, do you just reach across and paddle on the opposite side?  Anyone out there just switchfoot it?  It obviously feels much more natural to turn backside.  Since right now it's pretty wobbly when I need to turn frontside, I'm wondering if it'd be easier to work on the reach across or switching feet.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front-side buoy turns on a race board?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »
Play. Play around with the notion that you're going to fall a lot. Either on your board, or start on a big surfy rental board. Spend that hour rental trying to whip it in both directions. Get comfy switching your stance so your hips open up to your stroke side. Try playing with a tennis ball. ( boring, trippy POV video, my friend doesn't know what 'editing' is, but this is what I mean.)

For me, focus was less effective than unfocused play that resulted in an increased comfort level on the board. I got real comfy after spending a hot summer mostly in the water.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:43:28 AM by kjulks »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
I actually practice turns alternating wich foot is back.  It felt very strange at first stepping back with my left foot.   Now it is easy. 
Practice frontside and back side turns.  It will make a difference.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
I switch my feet.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Juan and Steve, I gave it a shot this morning and switched feet.  Clumsy and wobbly but I see what you mean.  Probably also impacted by the fact that I did it after a 7mi paddle, but like with everything else with SUP I can see myself developing this with practice.  Thanks!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
At the Gorge Paddle Challenge I watched the buoy turns intently--particularly useful since there was a W of buoys right in front of the viewing area. I saw some techniques by the pros that I haven't seen before--few of the top guys switched feet, some of the women did. The best buoy turner I saw is Fiona Wylde. I guess that's well known, but even though she didn't do her crazy backwards buoy turn, she had a whole bag full of techniques that seem to be turn-specific. She turns a lot from the very tail of the board with her paddle directly behind her, like a gondolier sweep. Travis Grant uses a similar technique to the frontside but not to the backside, his quick cross-step to the tail makes the board look like it was shot from under him. He does that just before his body passes the buoy, with exquisite timing so he can swing the board instantly while the nose is still moving up. Danny Ching does a cross bow pull when he has room, and continues it's across the board to a rear sweep.

There has to be a ton of video of the W. You could watch that and see every possible technique, including my pathetic cross bow sweep and dab. My 12'2" surfboard turns on a dime unless I'm in a race doing a buoy turn, at which point it apparently turns into a 19' unlimited.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:14:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
Thanks, Pono.  Once again, I think you're right.  Been looking at videos and see it's quite common to stay in your natural stance.  Did that this AM and it does feel like I'll master that sooner.  Amazing how even just  little bit of practice can lead to such significant improvement.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal