Author Topic: Five guys who surf SUPs better than most people surf anything  (Read 3731 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Five guys who surf SUPs better than most people surf anything
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:27:54 AM »
And from The Inertia of all sites:   http://www.theinertia.com/surf/these-5-dudes-surf-sups-better-than-you-surf-anything/
This should have included the Vaz brothers and the Hughes brothers but still a good list. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:31:52 AM by surf4food »

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Five guys who surf SUPs better than most people surf anything
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:57 AM »
Nice , I just saw that too .  Some mildly positive article from the inertia ?  Already negative comments though ....  They are just jealous ... :P

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Wheres Kai Lenny?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
Odd choices, but what the heck. As for the comments, they're always the same--you're not doing what I do, so you suck. Bah. Morons.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
All.those guys rip,,they are young and the attention is nice to see.  Buuuuutttt,,sup to me, is all about the lone dude pushing limits.  Why even do lists? Where's chuck? Haley? Both sets of brothers allready mentioned, kai, and every underground charger out there that could give tw .shits about the narcissistic maddening society we live in.   Surfing is art to me. To subjective for rankings, points and lists.  Give me a page of twenty videos of twenty humans carving the face of a wave, and enjoy the art,,screw lists

Haha,,im waiting for,,yeah you just say that cause you never made no list ;)

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
I don't think the list was supposed to be the top five sup surfers.  It was five guys who rip that happen to have been guests on the paddlewoo podcast.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
Oh that makes sence.  They all rip though,can't deny that. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
Those guys do shred and it will be really interesting to see all the cool videos that come out from that contest. It all has to be new original content that can't be posted anywhere else so I'm really looking forward to seeing all of them.

Kieran Grant, whoa! I hadn't seen that kid sup surf but he is reeeeally good!

Check out the other kid shooting his board through the lip at 01:35 --- but especially check out how Kieran does this slo mo sink duck dive thing at 01:45. Now that's what ya call low volume!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Long Beach Paddle Guy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
I know Erik and surfed with him down in Nosara recently. He has no agenda other than sharing his 1000% stoke about sup surfing. Who he included in his article are simply people he's more familiar with first hand and is in no way meant to take anything away from the Kai Lenny's, Vaz Brothers, etc who we all KNOW rip on sup boards! His paddle woo podcast is the only podcast I've found that is only about sup surfing and so far has been an amazing resource for information about our sport. Oh, and if you want a real treat, listen to his interview with Justin Holland where he tells the real story behind his wipeout (and broken femur) on a massive Cow Bombie wave that some are calling the biggest wave ever ridden in Australia.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
I know Erik and surfed with him down in Nosara recently. He has no agenda other than sharing his 1000% stoke about sup surfing. Who he included in his article are simply people he's more familiar with first hand and is in no way meant to take anything away from the Kai Lenny's, Vaz Brothers, etc who we all KNOW rip on sup boards! His paddle woo podcast is the only podcast I've found that is only about sup surfing and so far has been an amazing resource for information about our sport. Oh, and if you want a real treat, listen to his interview with Justin Holland where he tells the real story behind his wipeout (and broken femur) on a massive Cow Bombie wave that some are calling the biggest wave ever ridden in Australia.

I like Erik a lot but I think he's stretching it a bit when said "or your neighbor trying to relate you as a surfer because he takes his 10ft board to a lake once a year."  I don't know any non surfing SUPers who in any way consider themselves part of the surf scene unless they are actually surfers who surf their SUPs and came from a surfing background.  Beyond some vague awareness of SUPs roots in surfing, if they consider themselves as part of any scene at all it's the paddle sports world, not surfing. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
I agree that the Paddle Woo podcast is really good. I have listened to about 5 or 6 so far and can't wait to hear the rest of them. I just heard the podcast with Noa Ginella (who is friends with Kai Lenny) and Erik asked him to get a hold of Kai Lenny for him so I know he wants to interview ALL of those guys.

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
I don't think the list was supposed to be the top five sup surfers.  It was five guys who rip that happen to have been guests on the paddlewoo podcast.

Ahhh, that makes more sense now.  Thanks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal