Author Topic: SUS superstitious  (Read 5897 times)

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
Re: SUS superstitious
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 09:29:45 PM »
I try to be friendly and helpful to at least one person at the beach before going out.  This can be challenging. as I grew up in Philadelphia.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/hitchbot-robot-beheaded-philadelphia-feat/

Perhaps it's just a superstitious case of trying to start some good karma on the beach, or an act of self preservation if one of those people to whom I was friendly has to decide whether or not to rescue me before I've "gone to the light" in a SUP surf accident.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »
An old time surfer told me to do this, and I do it religiously for each new board.

When I take a new board out for the first time, I gently place her in the water (where I'm about to paddle), and stand beside her, and tell her I will look after her the best I can, and that I know she will look after me out there.

Then I put the leash on...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »
I ask permission before entering the Ocean....pretty much at waters edge.  Not a superstition per se, just polite.
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
welt definitely works  I did all the right things   even asked permission as Outcast said. was rewarded with   several nice set waves  that are beginning to hit for the swell 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »
I ask permission before entering the Ocean....pretty much at waters edge.  Not a superstition per se, just polite.
Pretty much, but more of a respectful greeting as permission being denied usually involved a hammering on the inside later on.
Just remembered on good days, and it has to be really golden a couple of perfect waves roll past for friends I've lost along the way.   Ride In Peace.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
nicely put I hope some one does that for me when I am gone.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TDoc

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • surfinoregon.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »
I was always a deck down/fins forward guy for surfing and still am for surfboards but...
Now it's deck down, fins back after repeated head bashings from the nose being just a couple inches lower than the tail...
Then there's my wife's Bark Phantom with the bowed front deck, that has to be deck up, fin forward for obvious reasons.
So I don't know anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal