Author Topic: How many enjoy the paddle out  (Read 13039 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: How many enjoy the paddle out
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »
Not at all.. I guess I should, I have been busting through waves all my life,  but my knees feel really shakey on the way out..I am always afraid I am going to re-hurt an old injury.   I play it safe half the time and knee it out like  a old man.  I know, its weak, but rather be safe than sorry...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
Whatever gets you out there baja.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »
If it's good and I'm having fun then I tend to do 3 to 5 hour long sessions so conserving energy means switching around between prone, knee's and standing up. But like stoneaxe said, whatever gets you out there is all that matters!

Not at all.. I guess I should, I have been busting through waves all my life,  but my knees feel really shakey on the way out..I am always afraid I am going to re-hurt an old injury.   I play it safe half the time and knee it out like  a old man.  I know, its weak, but rather be safe than sorry...
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
I like when the timing goes just right, and you feel you are in the rhythm of the ocean, which is getting out just over each of the lips of the set, with maybe a few just starting to break, turning around and catching a clean wave back in and then repeating this. When this works it is a dream. The opposite can happen is that you get hammered every time on the way out, catch a crappy wave back in, and then repeat the process again. Not fun..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
You're right of course, getting hammered isn't fun, but its the contrast that makes the former feel so special.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:30 AM »
You're right of course, getting hammered isn't fun, but its the contrast that makes the former feel so special.

That's very true, it's getting hammered on the way out, and realising you got the worst wave back in, and repeating that over and over which kinda sucks.. Even catching a good wave, and falling in the impact zone is better IMO. I find if that happens I need to stop on the outside or on the beach, and restart the day's session. It's the rhythm that is wrong.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
Its funny how much that is true and I've done the same thing. If my timing seems to be off I go in and press the reset button. Almost always feels better after.
Bob

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
 I am an old man and I knee out all the time  .   then  I use my  cane to stand up and beat young punks  about  the torso.     not really  but I do knee out   
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Hah hah! :D

then  I use my  cane to stand up and beat young punks  about  the torso. 
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
i always try to stand the whole way--but when in the water, and in a hurry to not get worked, i knee--i can get to my knees and get going much faster than fighting to stand, gain initial balance and paddle.

thius assumes there are waves over waist high, which ive not seen in too damned long

dawn patrol at long beach sat was small--4 hour sesh--tons of small waves, plenty fitness

skunked RI dawn yesterday--chhecked pilgrims progress and the wholly deep--nuttin--went home and mowed the damned lawn
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
If I'm on my short board, the paddle out is slower. I'll pause if I'm not in the impact zone yet. I'll hover there waiting for a set to pass before I plug my way out. If I'm on a bigger board that actually has a little glide, I'll charge out as soon as I get to my feet. I rarely knee paddle.  If it's OH and kind of wally, I'll just prone paddle out.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »
The funny thing is, I'm 5' tall standing on my knees.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
I don't know how old you all are, but knee paddling to me is the worst option ever, it hurts like hell.  I'm also more likely to have the wave grab me and send me hurtling toward the shore.

I stand up immediately and chug for the horizon.  The only time I prone paddle is to get out of the impact zone, otherwise, it's always faster for me to stand and paddle than anything else.  I'll do like TallDude, stall in an area where the wave energy dissipates and time the set if it's big that day.  Mostly I just time it to go fast when the set is over.  I rest sitting if I need it.  Knee paddling is just pain and cramp-creation for me.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
Paddle out would be a lot easier/more enjoyable if I could do this...and not eat my board during the attempt

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
Knee paddling is definitely an individual variable. My body configuration favors knee paddling.  It doesn't bother me, and I enjoy knee kayaking out against heavy white water, it is a different kind of challenge.

I do talk with a lot of guys who ask me if my knees hurt, and I tell them not at all as long as I stretch periodically.  I have to stretch standing, too, to change body position before stiffness sets in.

Some guys say that staying on their knees more than a minute is painful for them, so I guess they have an extra incentive to stand, whereas I have an extra incentive to be lazy kneesing and take advantage of it.

I'm old, who cares if I crutch and kook a bit.  I did see myself on the surfcam re-run at Pleasure Point a couple of weeks ago when I went with my neighbor, and thought I was too much on my knees, so I am starting a campaign to stand as much as possible and get out of the habit unless things are rough.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:13:23 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal