Author Topic: Board lights  (Read 6909 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Board lights
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
Planning on being out on the water after dark? We had a local manufacturer that is making a new safety light product for SUPs contact us and they brought down a box of them to mount on the paddle captains boards for the CCBC. Maybe a little pricey for what they are but worthwhile to have if needed. They were very visible as the paddlers pulled away in the dark on Saturday. I'm going to put some in my camelback in case I need them. Disposable LEDs, 1" x 1/2" x 1/16". 6 different colors, 3 different settings, fast flash, slow flash and continuous. I was going to ask chaser what he thought of them but haven't yet. What did the other zoners out there think?...seem worthwhile?
More info on the site.
http://www.brite-strike.com/PaddleboardSafety.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:00:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board lights
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »
The gloves seem like a good idea. Any idea what kind of power source is required? It says they last up to 200 hours, but it doesn't indicate on what. It would be awesome if they were rechargeable…
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »
Little button battery but no recharge. I was thinking the same, recharge would be good. Not a big fan of disposable especially when batteries are involved.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
They looked great and were pretty noticeable for such small lights. What's the retail on them? I like something that is small and won't get in the way.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 04:06:51 AM »
I wouldn't want them shining where they would affect my night vision.

I would also want to be able to turn them on and off easily because I would have them off most of the time.

Not a lot of boat traffic where I paddle. I just carry a small flashlight on a lanyard.

I guess having a bright light on the paddle blade that you can wave in an emergency might be good.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:09:45 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
These have been mentioned before on this forum, but I've seen video of them being used for night SUS and they looked better than I thought in action.

https://torchpaddles.com/

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:30:29 AM »
I do a lot of dusk runs, and after a close call last night with a mindless motorboat, I am going to give them a try.  $20 for 3, I find reasonable.

Going to set up like boat running lights.  White on tail, red to port and green on starboard.

Will report back.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:59:03 AM »
From  strictly a safety point of view....which is out of the way, won't mess with your night vision, gets it up high enough so its visible in rough water. meet the CG requirements for small craft...it would be a white light mounted at the top of a hat/cap. Attached to a board in choppy water would be a real hit & miss.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
The reason I put them in my camelback is because I'm pretty likely to have it for any nighttime excursion. of course I also have a headlamp in there so its just an extra measure. I'd stick the red and green on as running lights on the board and wear the headlamp.
Bob

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:29:34 AM »
Those little CCBC board lights didn't seem so bad. They didn't mess up my night vision much.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
I've finally had some luck this light.  It's for a kayak, but it has worked out great.  I put in second string in my leash plug for it, a lot shorter length than I would normally make so that I can cinch the light down tight.  This light has a padded bottom so it doesn't harm the board.  there is a bungee cord that runs down the middle and out thru the bottom with a clip on it.  I put the short leash rope in the clip, set the light down over the leash plug and then pull the other end of the bungee cord up through the post and wrap it around the little cleat so that it stays firm.  The light stays behind me and doesn't bother my vision at all.  And, if I fall on it, there is still plenty of give in the bungee cord so that it tilts over and doesn't impale me!  Many of us work some stupid hours down here, so we don't meet up sometimes until around 6 or 7pm for a training run.  We usually paddle thru the intra-coastal in Fort Lauderdale and we're always able to see each other and so far no issues with the boat traffic either.  It's by Kayalu Kayalite.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »
I have the same light and it looks like the same company but it has a suction cup on it. Seems like it works good.

http://oceanextremesports.com/collections/sup-accessories/products/suction-cup-lights

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
Just like everything out, people have their opinions and experiences.  I've gone thru some wearable lights and I didn't care for, and even a list that had a nice suction cup that would mount on the nose.  Got it from Bass Pro... I forget the name/ brand, but it was short, yellow and the light could actually be set to blink, strobe, and even could be set to display the red and green navigation lights.  We had two of them and they worked great like twice and while never even submerged or anything, they corroded up inside and died.  These tall ones that we use now have held up... been rained on, fell of because we didn't tie them right and they got dragged in the water.  So for they're holding up.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
The nice thing about the bright-strike lights is that they are so simple. Completely sealed so no corrosion...of course since they are disposable you wouldn't expect much. I like the idea of keeping a handful in my camelback. Just peel and stick and push the button. You don't need to stick it to the board, stick it to a hat, shoulders, whatever.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal