Author Topic: Time for a new longboard  (Read 18069 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a new longboard
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
Bitchin', Charlie! Love the deck channels. Are they a structural add because of no stringer? And did you apply (I know, I should probably read the whole thread) your foam stain to a spackle sealed blank? Use resin tints and microballons? As soon as I finish my shop I want to do a foam stain. I like the look you can achieve. Great looking board!

It's a bit of a experiment with the channels to see what they do and feel. This wasn't a foam stain however the one I am just glassing is and yes I did it like you said but only a very small amount of micro balloons it maybe posable to go without with some colours

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
The deck channels will definitely stiffen the board, think corrugated steel.  I had channels on an early 90's lightweight performance longboard and it was considerably stiffer than it's siblings.     

Can't wait to hear your first ride impressions, it looks great!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
I had it out today but it was micro surf it felt very nimble though and had 5 over very breifly. We have a good swell on its way and I will be heading west so should get some proper waves over the weekend and can give a little more feed back.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

So i had the festool rep around yesterday showing me the sanders and well i ended up treating myself to this for my birthday. Annoyingly half the abrasives and a few other bits i ordered are on back order so its going to be a few days before i get to really put it to use but i will give a bit of a review when i can compare it to my current rotary sander. Pretty excited about dust free sanding in the future!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:21:34 AM by supuk »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Happy Birthday Charlie! A retired coworker of mine has a Festool vac setup at home and really likes it. -J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
Yo man, that sander is sweet. I saw Blain Chambers one on Instagram last week.

I'll be hitting you up with some questions soon. Hawaii trip has me planning a new board for bigger waves.

We're the channels a hassle to hot coat and sand? Seems like they'd collect resin.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
The channels were not to bad but did require hand sanding and being quite carfull when doing the flats and rails with the sander. Just shout if I can be of help.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »
first time out properly on this one today and it gave me a bit of a shock how nimble it was, being used to shifting a lot of weight back to turn the big wide fish tails this was a different ballgame with the rounded pin. the waves were not great today but i had a few that gave a nice face to get a few nice turns in and you can really wang it around when you get it moving. The waves weren't really allowing nose rides but i think its definitely more of a progressive longboard rather than anything else.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
first time out properly on this one today and it gave me a bit of a shock how nimble it was, being used to shifting a lot of weight back to turn the big wide fish tails this was a different ballgame with the rounded pin. the waves were not great today but i had a few that gave a nice face to get a few nice turns in and you can really wang it around when you get it moving. The waves weren't really allowing nose rides but i think its definitely more of a progressive longboard rather than anything else.

Very nice! Progressive is a good way to call it, from what you say. I was online today researching HP longboard rockers thinking I'd like to do something in between. I know you said you kept the rocker flat, but it looks like you have some kick right in the nose. Am I seeing that right? And please, give a quad fin ride report, because I'll be putting the same set up in boards I'm gonna build for myself and a friend, and I'm very keen to hear what you think.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
i forget exactly what rocker i used on it i will have a look tomorrow when I'm on the pc. i don't think there was any kick just the small concave that would give that look

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
i forget exactly what rocker i used on it i will have a look tomorrow when I'm on the pc. i don't think there was any kick just the small concave that would give that look

Yeah, my bad. When I looked back at the pic I realized that looked like the case. If you're willing, I would be interested in your rocker numbers.

And "nimble" that's great. One of the better adjectives you want to be able to apply to your board description. Way to go, Charlie.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
Dude, your board looks awesome! You have some skills there, guy! I'd like to plug your brain into mine and download your board making knowledge. If it's cool with you, I would like to have the numbers you used for your rocker too, please.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
I have a couple questions for you when you get a chance, please.

1) Was the Sunova Speeed the inspiration for this design?

2) How did you shape the channels in the deck? What tools did you use? Did you put extra cloth in the channels?

Thanks

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
I have a couple questions for you when you get a chance, please.

1) Was the Sunova Speeed the inspiration for this design?

2) How did you shape the channels in the deck? What tools did you use? Did you put extra cloth in the channels?

Thanks

1) no not at all i have never really looked at the sunova boards it is a modified outline of my short boards and the rest is all new.

2) the channels on that one are shaped by hand with a round tube and bit of 120 grit however now i am starting them on the cnc and then hand finishing them. No extra cloth just a normal lam

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
What are the nose and tail rocker measurements and what was your glassing schedule?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal