Author Topic: Time for a new longboard  (Read 18078 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a new longboard
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
   Like.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »
C-The last board I did has acrylics under 3 layers of 4oz 'E' on the top and 1 layer 4oz 'E' plus 1 layer 7.5oz 'mystery' cloth on the bottom. Top is quite clear, bottom is slightly 'frosty' from the 7.5 oz cloth. I would not hesitate as long as the paint is dry, the cloth is good, and the epoxy is not dry or foamy at the laps. -J

Pic of topside between nose and deck lashings after 2nd fill coat, no sanding or clearcoat.

PS Thanks for showing us your new project, looks great!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:29:25 PM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
cheers many thanks for that i forgot yours was acrilic I'm now not 100% sure I'm going to do it on the longboard however the new board i cut yesterday will definitely be getting the treatment.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
Just tried it with resin and thicxotrooic and I think it comes out a little better plus quicker to dry and less chance of delam.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »
so went for something a little more simple on the longboard. now i have the proper futures jig i went for pre glass installation and gave them a extra 6oz patch.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Deck first cheater coat and hot coated and taped for bottom. Bottom first cheater coated then hot coated. Next step sanding leash plug and handles

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
I wish I had those skills. Wow.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
Just had a guy come round to let me demo a Mirka sander and extractor with the abranet pads and it was prity nice, so good being able to sand in a almost dust free invitomemt and allso be able to clearly see what you are working on and not need to vacuum up after. Only thing I wasn't keen on is how you hold it, it's ether palm on top which gives a lot of vibration up your arm or two fingers in the handle and the rest wrapping around which was ok but not sure how long I could keep sanding like that. Quality felt good the sander had a medium pad but the said the best way to swap to soft was to use a separate adapter pad which I was not totally sure about. This was the 5mm orbit and went 100,180,240,320,400,800,1000wet and finished with a surface ready to polish. The small size I don't think was a issue and It was fairly light and manovarble so great on rails however the ergonomics let it down a lot and is probably what will stop me geting one as my main sander. Yet to properly test the festool but even more keen to get something the deals with the dust side of things. The pic shows the level it keeps the dust down too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:49:31 AM by supuk »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
With the everything fairly well determined fins and tail pad are placed and balance point marked for the hole to be routed out and handle set in

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »
That sander is sweet. I see what you mean though, weird handle for long term use. Getting rid of the dust would be so good though. Are the ergonomics on the Festool better?

The board looks great, love the colors too. Here's to cleaner coats and less sanding overall.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »
That sander is sweet. I see what you mean though, weird handle for long term use. Getting rid of the dust would be so good though. Are the ergonomics on the Festool better?

The board looks great, love the colors too. Here's to cleaner coats and less sanding overall.

Yes the festool is better and it allso has the side handle. I couldn't belive it when I went on the net just after the Mirka guy went I found a festool demo on locally with the huge festool truck there so I rushed down with a board to demo one however they had just started to pack up annoyingly but I did speak to the local rep and he is going to bring one round and hopefully leave it with me for a few days to have a proper play with which will be amazing and very excited about.

The Mirka chap left me with some of the abranet and I had a play with it for sanding rails by hand and I found it very good, it's nice as it more of a cloth type material so it doesn't tair like paper does and you can put a lot more pressure down allso being a net material it doesn't clog so easily. The only time I found it to clog bad is if you press down with your finger or hand and cover the mesh. I will always now keep a few grades though I think even if it's just for rails

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »
a few pics of the finished board, yet to have a wave on it but should be in the next week or so.

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »
Looks great! Can you please elaborate about your fins choice? I have the same set of GL1 2+1 I've never even tried them. Was thinking about giving it away with a board I'm trying to sell.
I have a brand new LongBoard I'm debating what to use for fins, its 9'6 x 29 x 130L .I've always ran my longboards as Singles. Thanks for your time and thanks again for sharing the pics and your creative process.

Cheers!

Alon

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
To be honest they are just what I had in my old longboard and they worked good so just through them in. Yet to surf a quad longboard so that should be interesting to try. I don't actually have many singles to try at the moment so may have to try get some.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Bitchin', Charlie! Love the deck channels. Are they a structural add because of no stringer? And did you apply (I know, I should probably read the whole thread) your foam stain to a spackle sealed blank? Use resin tints and microballons? As soon as I finish my shop I want to do a foam stain. I like the look you can achieve. Great looking board!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal