Author Topic: South Florida Paddler Missing on the Hood River  (Read 42053 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: South Florida Paddler Missing on the Hood River
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
That is a nice tribute. Definitely put a lump in my throat. I did not know Andres and did not meet him at the race but I wish I had.

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
THAT has always been, and always will be the way that I remember Andres.
Very sorry for everyone who knew him, met him, was close to him. Sounds like a genuinely great person.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
Once again folks, I'd really like to say that guys like Chilly and myself are happy that this thread didn't get mean, but instead stayed informative and supportive.  Especially for Chilly, as not only was he close to Andres, but he is of the same cloth that Andres was cut from.  It has not been so on some other threads out there.  I think that some of us here took the knee jerk reaction to the paddle out for Andres with the lack of leashes.  What can I say, we're just  in a mode of over reaction.  There is a lot of people (myself included) that when we die, many will have the right say something true... like, he was okay, but he could really be a dick at times.  I can assure you, that Andres was not one of them. 

Whether you knew him from him kicking your ass in a race and the way in which he was so gracious about it, to being a rep for Mistral, or his involvement with Special Olympics, everyone down in south Florida SUP knew him.  While a Mistral Rep, he would show up at a race, put up the tent, inflate 10 to 12 inflatable SUPs, plus the big giant one, do his race, rep his brand, put people, especially kids on the inflatables for demos and then when the race was over, people had to force him to let them help with packing up all of his gear.  His work as a coach for the Miami Special Olympics SUP Race Team was crucial to it getting off of the ground.

Wow, Weeble thanks for sharing your insight into this admirable and extraordinary young man.    You have an amazing supportive caring group of folks in South Florida.  Truly inspirational. 

We'll never know what really happened, or  why he wasn't better prepared.  It just wasn't him... but it happened.  However, the way I'll always remember Andres is from this photo...

I was so fortunate to be there when this photo was taken. It was during a Special Olympics Coaches training session hosted by Irma Price and Ruth Finch Holland. While on a lunch break, several athletes from the Miami team arrived and Andres began working with this team member. Andres was working with him on getting him to stand up and at first it wasn’t working so well. I was standing on the shore with his mother watching. Andres slowly paddled him out of view behind a stand of mangroves and a few minutes later, they came paddling out together standing up. The look of joy and pride on the athlete’s face took my breath away. His mother did all that she could to contain her excitement as well. Andres was behind him, working the board to keep it as stable as possible and paddle them forward. Any time that the athlete looked over his shoulder, Andres had stopped paddling and looked down at him with a “it’s all you” look. And as soon as the athlete turned around and began to try and paddle again, Andres resumed a gentle, quiet paddle stroke and kept them moving. As they neared the shore, the athlete looked to his mother and literally ran the length of the board, leapt from the nose (nearly throwing Andres into the water with the weight change) and ran into his mother’s arms. THAT has always been, and always will be the way that I remember Andres.

Wow, Weeble thanks for sharing your insight into this admirable and extraordinary young man.  You have an amazing supportive caring group of folks in South Florida.  I'm certain his legacy and spirt will be preserved. Truly inspirational. 

http://www.gofundme.com/cz2js8sw
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:19:50 AM by Chan »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
Awesome tribute video. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »
PinoySUP... here are the facebook links for the Broward and Dade County Special Olympics.  Either post, or private message them and they are typically very helpful with getting you in touch with the team coach as well as the other things that you need to do.  They do background search, you take one or two online courses that are pretty quick, and if there is a coaching seminar coming up, they'll get you hooked up.  I believe that while you are waiting for those, you can start to help coaching and they track your hours.  Basically, you have a seminar or two to go to where there is lectures plus on the water work with some of the athletes, time that you put in helping to coach/ support the team, and some documents.  It really isn't that much to go thru.  I am about halfway thru.  I started to train with the Dade County team but then their weekly practices started too early for me to get all the way down in Miami time.  Now that we have a team in Broward, I'm working on getting back in.

https://www.facebook.com/specialolympicsmiamidade?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/specialolympicsmiamidade?fref=ts

also, on facebook there is a woman named Ruth Finch Holland, she pretty much got the Special Olympics SUP Racing set up to begin with and is a great resource.  She runs the team for Monroe County down in the Keys.  If you've ever heard of the Lazy Dawgs, that group of women make up most of the coaching staff.

And also, SUPsports had some great causes too.

It is an amazing feeling to give back that is for sure.  I remember the first time that I caught a wave in surf SUP... I didn't do much other than ride it straight in (and I still do these days as I can never time off when we actually have waves down here), but it was exhilarating none the less.  I love to see other's faces when they catch their first wave.  And the first time you are on quiet water and paddle up on a big group of manatees?  It's amazing.  Always great to share with others!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
You’ve done a great job with this post Keelan aka Weeble. Next time I see you, I’m buying you a beer.  :)
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
Hey, we're celebrating Misty's birthday with most of the 954 O'hana.... Riverside Market.  They have a LOT of tasty beers....  I'll give you hug... hell everyone there will as they know what you have been going thru.
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »
from the facebook page for Special Olympics Miami Dade County...

It's the legacy that you leave behind that matters....

Last night our 305SUP Team met for their final training before State Games but the first without their beloved coach Andres Pombo. Led by their coaches, the athletes experienced their first "paddle out" a ritual customary in the surfing and SUP world to pay respect to a fallen brother or sister. They had the opportunity to discuss their loss. Below is a letter that a member of the team, Ricky Dager, penned to say goodbye and shared. ‪#‎livelikepombo‬
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 11:39:14 PM »
It's the legacy that you leave behind that matters....‬

My life philosophy.

I'm not a religious man but I am spiritual. I believe we live on in the lives we touch and the lives those lives touch ad infinitum. All any of us can hope for is having a positive impact during our life. A 9 year old boy is as much responsible for the success of the CCBC as anyone. A 5 minute conversation in a hospital waiting room shook me out of a deep funk, just because he tried to cheer me up. The butterfly effect in action.

Andres will live on in how Ricky will treat others forever. ‪#‎livelikepombo indeed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:46:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Oh jeez, I didn't need to see that. Gotta go hug my grandkids.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »
Oh jeez, I didn't need to see that. Gotta go hug my grandkids.
Right behind you Bill.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »
just 30 mins ago saw my girl drive herself off to college--ouch
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
A tribute like that form Rickyyyyy is about the best  thing you could ever accomplish.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal