Author Topic: SIC X14 or X14 Pro?  (Read 3077 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SIC X14 or X14 Pro?
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
I've narrowed my choices down to two boards.  The SIC X14 or X14 Pro.  Both identical except for width and volume.  I am 5'9" and 170 pounds.  Started SUPing this summer and started out on a Naish One inflateable.  I want to start doing some flat water racing and that is why I am buying another board.  I would go for the pro for sure except I am a little nervous about handling it in choppy conditions.  Our reservoirs get some nasty boat chop going on.  I was wondering of the x14 would have too much volume for someone my size, the SIC website says it is good for larger paddlers.  Any advice?

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIC X14 or X14 Pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
I recommend the X14 pro.  Lighter and faster.  You will get use to the stability.  A Futures JG fin will make it more stable.

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
Go for the board you're going to be able to grow into. You don't want to get proficient and have something feel too tame beneath you.

I think SIC does a pretty good job of letting people know that their boards are intended for flatwater, but they almost go too far. The language in their catalog, "built for speed over stability... best for more agile paddlers..." can scare perfectly able people away.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
At your size and aspirations, you need the x-Pro.  The wider x-14 is best for riders approaching 200 lbs. 

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:08:31 AM »
I completely agree.  At your weight, and for racing, it is a no brainer.   I am 5' 9 " and 200 lbs and have both boards.  Had the X14 first and now it stays in the rack (it's my wife's board now).  I ride the X14 Pro regularly, as it is considerably faster and more responsive.  Much better board everywhere.  When I first got the X14 Pro, I bought a large (59 sq inch) Futures JB Runner fin to help with stability.  After just a few rides, I felt like the board was overfinned and I ditched that fin for the stock 8.3 fin.  I have recently dropped down to the smaller 7.3 SIC fin for even less drag.  Still tracks very well and slips nicely when whacked from the side and is easy to whip around.  Go for the Pro model between these two boards.  If you can wait, you might want to try the new FX 14 next spring, which is supposed to be a better all around and more stable (even at 25 inches!!) race board.  I am thinking about trading in my Glide v 2 for the FX 14 in the spring.  It will be interesting to hear the reviews in the future.               
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal