Author Topic: 2016 SIC Bullet 17.4 Changes  (Read 10439 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
2016 SIC Bullet 17.4 Changes
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Here's a link to SIC's 2016 catalog (link came in an advertising email from SIC on July 30).

All sorts of interesting things in there:  new boards, new sizes, new components.

I have no idea on availability.

Thanks for that Cascade - thought that this deserved a new thread for the DW racing crew.

Very interesting to see the addition of Innegra reinforcing and a change to F.A.S.T. pushrods with integrated standard fin box on the Bullet 14V2 - F16.0 - and Bullet 17.4.  Having the option to hot-swap switch from goofy to regular may be useful in certain situations depending upon the wind and swell direction.

SIC notes that they have been testing this new steering mechanism for over a couple of years already.  But sometimes the old tried and tested SS cable is better than the "new system" cantilevered C-spring.

For any in the know that have tried or have this "revolutionized" patented setup on a prototype or custom board please chime in. 
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2016 SIC Bullet 17.4 Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
New steering system.  No wires and sharp ends like the old... which is sweet.  We've all bled from these sharp edges so this is welcome

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Thx very much HM, the new system looks very clean and civilized indeed.

The current flex rod cable system seems to require a fair bit of force to turn the rudder - but understand the need to self-center quickly.  Would you happen to know if the new setup requires less toe pressure with the new C-spring pushrod system to turn - yet still goes back in line quickly?

We ask because comparatively, the surfski rudder and pedal arrangement is extremely easy to turn but has no self-centering mechanism.  If the SIC patented system is more durable, reliable, serviceable, and flexible then it will be a substantial improvement.
Fast is FUN!   8)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
Hopefully I'll get to try one soon but haven't so far.  What you say about less involved toe pressure would certainly be another welcome facet. 

My pal PBill made this remote steering mechanism and it was tres cool but leaked and the board got heavy.  As this all moves towards power steering it will be a welcome advance.

I asked Mark if old system could be retro fitted and wise guy he is, said, "For you no can but yes for everyone else."  Loved that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
Look forward to seeing it. the spring has always been in the wrong place, doesn't look like that has changed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
Look forward to seeing it. the spring has always been in the wrong place, doesn't look like that has changed.

The new rudder looks slick but I agree that the spring should be attached to the rudder in the back not the steering arm in the front, that would make it inherently safer if anything goes wrong between the steering arm and the rudder.
Looks like they are still keeping the same original Bullet 17 V1 shape.  I think it's a great shape, so it makes sense not to mess with it.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »
More precise, easier to center the rudder, less friction in the cables (don't have to be tensioned), less overall effort to steer, much less spring tension required. I need to do that right sometime soon. Of course I should get the radio rudder/autopilot going again. Too many projects going on.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:23:17 AM »
Integrated standard fin box is a great idea for those of us who eg. paddle in non-Hawaiian waters where there is lots of floating weed, or who want to surf their boards, or where catching bumps or flat water trim requires standing right forward where the rudder arm is, or where the rider wants a different fin size or design than the rudder offers. I reckon it gives some extra flexibility for all conditions, uses and paddlers, and will appeal to those of us who have found rudders a mixed blessing.

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57:09 AM »
Awesome!! Been hanging to see more details on this!!! :)
SIC custom hand shaped 17' x 25.5" V3 Bullet.
NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
Starboard Sprint 14 x 24".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »
I like to have a fin box right at the rudder post. That way if you hit something with the rudder the trailing edge pushes into the fin box instead of smashing through the bottom, and the rudder stays straight instead of potentially turned when the soft stainless post got bent. And you can put in a fin when you choose to go rudderless, though I find that increasingly unlikely since I've started really using my rudder to follow swell energy. All these years later I finally look something like Jeremy, darting around like a waterbug. Of course he can do it without a rudder. Showoff.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:07:23 AM »
"Rudder lock off switch option or safety failover" - plus a quick visual red alignment guide at the back -> all hidden under a flat deck pad with cover plates.  Makes everything quite slick and modernized.  Also the shorter piece of steering equipment should make easier placing when loading.

If that C-spring has the right centering force then these changes should be very nice indeed.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
great news that the old system can be retrofitted. I wonder how easy of a process this will be (do it yourself or more involved)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
Mark makes increasing nice fancy bits. Considering that this stuff is done mostly by hand (at least the prototypes) it's pretty amazing what he turns out. If I have a criticism it's that he puts too much energy into making things look great and operate slickly before he gets the principles of function optimized. The best example was the amazingly nice two-rudder (front and back) system he built a year or so ago. Wonderful design, gorgeous execution--except it didn't work. The front rudder was too far forward so it lost authority and (worse yet) regained it suddenly when the nose lifted. I think the only person who could ride the thing was Livio and he had a harried look on his face when he was talking about it. But it was all flush to the deck, operating cables tucked away, beautiful parts, finely finished.

I did a front rudder board that worked great. I used the brass threaded tubes that they sell at hardware stores for making lamps. Drilled eight holes in locations starting about a foot back from the nose and every six inches after. Smeared the tubes in epoxy and pushed them through, tightened down the nut on both sides and cut the excess off with an angle grinder. Adapted a standard ASS system to steer it. It looked like it had been built by a ten year old, but I found the spot that worked for that particular board--just aft of where the nose rocker started. I also learned that a front rudder need to have about one third the area of a tail rudder. Of course the board took on water and wound up stuffed in the back of my shop, waiting for repair. Right next to my butchered F18 with the rear spring system.

What I learned forms the basis of my tunnel hull, finless, front steering Speedboard. Which is also laying around waiting for attention.

OCD vs. ADD. Each has it's benefits and perils.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:11:59 AM by PonoBill »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
One would hope that after 2-1/2+ years of testing the bugs in this new steering system should be squashed by the time it goes into full production.

Here is an email that just came in -

"They are holding back on samples and will have boards with fast only in the first production run slated for January 2016.  They did a few Bullet 14’V2 with FAST samples for trade shows only.  Apparently working out some kinks in the rods which are replacing the cables."
Fast is FUN!   8)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
Mark had one of the 14's with the new push rod steering out for a Maliko about a month or so ago. I got to at least look at it and it is very slick and refined. I'm not a Luddite but I'm comfortable enough with the cable system that I wouldn't change out just to get the steering. But it's a nice side benefit if you were changing up to a new board. If you pay attention to the cable system and understand it's design, it is reliable and easy to service. I still always carry a length of bicycle inner tube to jam the rudder in neutral position if something fails unexpectedly.

The V1 Bullet 17 4 is an amazingly good shape for downwind and open ocean. Super confidence inspiring and capable of very fast runs. I've only had my used 17 4 for about 5 or 6 weeks now but it is really changing my downwind experiences for the better and the speed potential is amazing. SIC has really got a winner with the V1 Bullet shape, especially when you couple it with a light layup, hollow board. Took away all my board lust for something else. I can even look at the V3 and not feel even the slightest twinge of 'gotta have someday'.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal