Author Topic: Need advice on getting a second board  (Read 2859 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need advice on getting a second board
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
I've decided I want a board I can race on the local reservoirs.  Would like something that would be good in flat water as well as choppy conditions when the wind comes up.  I did my first race last weekend using my Naish One inflatable and everyone else was on race boards.  I knew I wouldn't do well but was quite shocked at how soundly I got beat by everyone, I was dead last!  I'm an avid runner and used to being towards the front of the pack in a running race.  How much difference would getting a race board make over my inflatable?  I know paddle technique counts for a lot too, I've been studying videos online on paddle technique.  Here is a list of boards I am looking at.  I weigh 170lbs.

SIC X14 Pro - tried one of these out last weekend.  26" width was a bit of a challenge but I only fell in once when hitting some boat chop.  I think after a couple sessions on a 26" board I would be okay.

SIC X14 - I like that it is 28" wide.  Tried one of these out last weekend as well.  Felt pretty stable.  downside is it weighs more that the X14 Pro

Naish Javalin - Looking at both the 14x26 and 14x28 GX's

Glide GodSpeed - I'm interested in this board just because they are a local company.  Not sure how they stack up against brands like SIC and Naish.

Starboard AllStar - 14x25 and 14x28.  25" width might be a bit tough for me.  However I've read the AllStar's are suppose to be more stable than a lot of board of similar width.

Most of these boards available in different material choices so the weight and cost of the same board varies a lot.  For instance I can get a SIC X14 in their TWC material that weighs 35 lbs and costs $1799 or the same board in the Single Carbon Composite weighs only 28 lbs but costs $2799.  How much is the weight of the board going to make in speed?  I've been concentrating on 14' boards cause someone told be they are they way to go.  But I would like other opinions.  Should I stick with 14' or should I look at 12'6" boards as well?  I've found a really good deal on a SIC X14 Pro that is a demo board with a couple minor repairs.  About 50% retail.  I'm really new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  If there are other boards that I should be considering let me know.  Thanks!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on getting a second board
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
If you can put full power down in all conditions on the 28" -> then consider a 26".  Was talking to a sponsored rider after our DW run today in 15-20 kts.  He was on his custom 25" flat water race board.  We figured his 14' carbon board weighed around 22 lbs and he liked how easy it was to accelerate to catch a wave.

On his race board he was the fastest of the DW group -> so skill balance and power play a huge part in this.  He noted that unless you have very good balance and can put full power down -> it is much better to get a wider more stable board. 

My balance is only mediocre at best in comparison to his and other sponsored riders - so wider boards 26.5" to 27.5" are about right.  The extra width is so much appreciated in rough water slop and reflected chop we have at times in the ocean.

However for your use this may not be as much of a concern so a Pro at half price would be a good deal so long as you can put full power down.  All the big brand boards you list are fast race proven designs -> but demo all if you can as each will feel different.

After that you will know which board is best for you.   ;)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
IMO... get the 14x28 GX Jav.. just like mine.. The difference between it and your 12'6'' One inflatable is HUGE..  :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »
Get that half-price ex-demo SIC X14 Pro IMO, if as mentioned you feel definitely confident in your balance skills. If you get the SIC X14 instead (which is a wonderfully comfortable board to paddle, and comfort means less energy wasted balancing and that means more energy for paddling) then get the SCC one if you can afford it. The extra weight of the TWC construction does affect the speed.

Buying an ex-demo board at your stage of your paddling career makes a lot of sense because if you do find that you need a different kind of board, then you will lose virtually nothing at resale. The depreciation of new top-construction raceboards is pretty severe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:24:59 AM by Area 10 »

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
Get what you like, not the best deal, unless you need the extra $ for paddles, hydration packs, and PFDs. It takes awhile to figure out what you like and you may buy/sell a few before finding your true love. Stumbled upon a good review of several of the boards you mentioned on big winds blog - scroll down a bit for the SUP reviews.
http://bigwindsblog.com/
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:50:01 AM »
At your weight 14' is the only choice. Next question is how narrow. And the answer is to get the narrowest board you can stand on. If you're falling a few times on it today, in a week you'll wonder why you ever did. If you get the lightest board you can afford, at the narrowest width you can manage, you probably won't need to make a change for a long time, so it will ultimately be the cheapest solution.

I wouldn't try for something super skinny, you might never master that, or you might be frustrated enough to not spend the time it takes to fully master the board. But a board you never fall on now is one that's going to be too slow tomorrow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 07:14:25 AM »
I'm a little heavier than you (180) and have the 14 x25.5 Allstar. I really like the stability of this board. It's good in flat water and in choppy conditions. I have not tried any of the other boards but for your weight I'd suggest something fairly narrow! Especially if you're just going to paddle on lakes. Maybe something in the 25 -26 inch range. Definitely try before you buy. My friend just bought the same board in the carbon fiber version and says its a lot more fragile but about 10 pounds lighter than mine.
Just to give you an idea on speed difference. On my 12'6 x28 Bark Competitor I was happy to get a 12:30 min mile. That's ~ 4.8 mph average. On my 14' Allstar two seasons later with more experience and better paddles I'm just below 11 minutes on flat water. That's 5.5 -5.6 mph average. You still won't be able to win any of the bigger races but top 10 or top 5 should be possible. To keep improving get a gps speedometer or a waterproof case for your phone so you can track and compare your workouts.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the great advice so far!  I've added a couple of other boards to the mix since I found out a local dealer carries them and I can demo. 

Hobie Apex - 14 x 27.5 and 14 x 25.75
Bark Dominator 14 x 28

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal