14 (37.8%)
goofie foot  - paddle left side
11 (29.7%)
goofie foot  - paddle right side
4 (10.8%)
paddle right or left side, no difference
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: What is your preferred paddling side vs surf stance  (Read 5956 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
What is your preferred paddling side vs surf stance
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
 When you are paddling for a wave, which stance and paddling side do you prefer.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is your preferred paddling side vs surf stance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
straight on   feet shoulder width apart  then shift to goofy foot as  I make the drop or pick up speed.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
you scouting for telemarkers?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »
I would guess that almost every regular footer prefers their right side and every goofy footer prefers their left. This is assuming you use at least a partially (or more) staggered stance.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
I'm regular paddle right on a right point break.  I try to practice different things, and have started an occasional goofy foot paddle left to improve my bilateral symmetry.

Going goofy foot at times has helped me with some rail problems, but it is counter intuitive for me. 

I am working on going back and forth between regular and goofy.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Au contraire kaya.... I like the drive I get with my paddle on the same side as my forward foot.... much more in balance, for me.

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
Au contraire kaya.... I like the drive I get with my paddle on the same side as my forward foot.... much more in balance, for me.
The Drive.....that's why I prefer it.....who knew?Now I know.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
I do what Bobby used to do.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
Rick, I said almost everyone... you're one of the exceptions to the rule. You also prefer going backside more than frontside! Or at least at certain spots where I used to live.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »
It's funny..... in a race, I paddle mostly on the right side.... but I have NO power on the right side when catching a wave.

It will be interesting to see what this poll shows.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »
I'm always in a slight surf stance. When I try to put my right foot in front of my rudder foot on light wind DW races, I look down assuming I'm standing goofy and find my right foot is still a little behind the left.

My best side for paddling depends on which shoulder is the most f$#@ed. Last year my left side was the money side, this year it's the right. I tend to do hard strokes on the left side and quick jabs on the right. The quick jabs never feel like they're going to work, but they do. When I really want to make a swell I automatically switch to right side. Funny that my unconscious mind knows what works while I'm still trusting hard pulls. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
It's funny..... in a race, I paddle mostly on the right side.... but I have NO power on the right side when catching a wave.

It will be interesting to see what this poll shows.
I'm about your age, and started surfing at 14, and I'm a regular foot, and from your pics, I'd say you are to.
I do the same thing, it's our brains, it's our 'getting ready for that awesome right' brains, even when you know it's going to be a left.
Decades of programing, it's something we have to deal with, I call it ASD ~ Attention Surfing Disorder.
Just remember to tell your family that when you're buried, you're facing to the right, getting ready for your power bottom turn.
It takes a quiver to do that.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »
I have a friend, a regular foot, who always paddles for waves on his left side, forcing him to switch the paddle around on the takeoff to his right side. I always thought that was weird and wrong (he started surfing late in life, like 50 years old, and through sheer force of will has turned into a decent surfer. He's my hero). I will have to tell him he's not alone.

But as a regular footer going right, I feel I have much more power and control when paddling for the takeoff on my right side, in modified to complete surf stance depending on the situation. If I'm spinning around to get a late takeoff and get stuck with my paddle on my left side, I often geek out terribly.

Even going backside, most of the time I paddle for the takeoff on the right side. The only time I take those last few strokes on the left is when I'm catching a left that requires a steeply angled takeoff, with the paddle engaged on the face. Hope that makes sense.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
I'm a heavily favored right side paddler and I voted regular right side but I'm probably 60-40 when going for a wave. I go whichever way seems to make sense for the wave and I often switch sides on the 3rd or 4th stroke.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
Regular foot, surfing rights. I paddle mostly on my left side and switch the paddle once on the wave.

What do I win?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal