Author Topic: Racing - what do you wear in cool, wet weather?  (Read 4547 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Racing - what do you wear in cool, wet weather?
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
Gearing up for the Lobster SUP Cup this weekend, and we could have some rain and temps in the 60s during 10 mile paddles on Lake Megunticook or Penobscott Bay.  What do folks wear in these kind of conditions?

I'm thinking a wetsuit would be too warm, unless it gets really rainy and windy, but normal race wear (board shorts and a t-shirt) could get cold if rain and wind keep up over 2+ hours. Neoprene vest and shorts under my shirt and board shorts usually keep me warm enough during a surf session this time of year, but that's usually with warm air temp and sun to warm me up between falls. On land I'd wear a lightweight rain shell over my shirt and shorts, but I'm not sure if this would backfire on a board if I fall in and wear it over wet clothes.

Any suggestions?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Racing - what do you wear in cool, wet weather?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Just add a light windbreaker around your waist in case you may get cold. You will die of heat in a wetsuit after just a few minutes. Basic rule of biking and SUP (distance not surf) is if you aren't cold when you start you are overdressed.

I use windbreakers for your said purpose far more through the chilly season than neoprene. NB I am used to them, and they are stretchy (and light). There is a whole new class of wind and water proof shells which are great direct on skin and are stretchy.

Try it out beforehand is another good rule to go by.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
Right on Yugi. I wear 2Xu tights, both for my screwed veins and the comfort of wind protection. If they get wet they dry in a minute without chilling you. I have a few different paddle jackets, the best one was a Quicksilver one that I lost. Goretx sleeves and loose, thin neoprene panels. Great jacket, and of course they stopped making them. Now I wear a superlight goretex shell over a lonsleeeve rash guard if it's cold. Make sure whatever you choose is loose under the arms or it will chew on you pits.

You dont want to be warm when you're standing around.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
At those temps I'd only be worrying about the windchill or the water temp if I was expecting to go in. Its a race you should be generating body heat :)

Its winter here right now and we are paddling at 50 and below.  The water is still cold so booties are nice, other than that I'm usually in a 2Xu long sleeve running top with a t-shirt of similar material over the top, compression pants and boardies.

If is rough an I expect to get wet I'll swp the t shirt for a .5mm warm vest, if you wear it over the top you tend not to get so hot.   

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions.

This time of year I'm not too concerned about the water temps, which should at least be in the 60s, and if it's dry I'll be fine in shorts and a t-shirt, with a lightweight hoodie in case it's windy and cool with no sun. My only concern would be heavy rain with wind, which over a couple hours could leave me pretty chilled despite the exertion.

Given the gear I have available, I'm thinking .5 mil hyperflex shorts under my board shorts (they double nicely as compression shorts, and my lower legs don't get too cold as long as my core is warm). H2Core hoodie around waist in case of cool or damp weather. If it looks like heavy rain is a possibility on race day, I can throw a hydroskin vest on underneath (or stick it in my camelback pocket in case it gets unexpectedly cold and wet) to keep me warm if I'm wet and cold.

I'll keep an eye out for somekind of lightweight waterproof/breathable shell on sale for next year.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »
Right on Yugi. I wear 2Xu tights, both for my screwed veins and the comfort of wind protection. If they get wet they dry in a minute without chilling you. I have a few different paddle jackets, the best one was a Quicksilver one that I lost. Goretx sleeves and loose, thin neoprene panels. Great jacket, and of course they stopped making them. Now I wear a superlight goretex shell over a lonsleeeve rash guard if it's cold. Make sure whatever you choose is loose under the arms or it will chew on you pits.

You dont want to be warm when you're standing around.

PB, Which 2Xu tights do you have?  I can identify with the vein problems.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
...H2Core hoodie around waist in case of cool or damp weather. If it looks like heavy rain is a possibility on race day, I can throw a hydroskin vest on underneath (or stick it in my camelback pocket in case it gets unexpectedly cold and wet) to keep me warm if I'm wet and cold.

Stiff, the secret to layering is the onion principle. Layers go on or off in order. Most especially in situations where time is a premium. Like fast friends or a race.

I’d not bring a “core” hoodie if rain at risk. I’d only bring windbreaker. Slap it on if cold, remove if overheating. Simple. Light. Hey, the bet is you won’t use it.

Been there done that. Even stuff that “dries in 2 mins” is going to be useless, and heavy, come rain.

Yes, weight counts.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
Good point, yugi. That hoodie dries fast, but probably won't do me much good if the rain doesn't give it a chance to dry. I don't know how water resistant the windbreaker I've got is, but I guess it's better than nothing, or at least quick to remove and stash in my pocket if it turns out to be worse than nothing.  :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »
Gramps I have a variety of them and none are perfect. Mostly I use the recovery tights because they have a bit higher compression. I have to cut the cuff at the bottom because it restricts circulation to my feet. It's stupid, they make a sleeve with stirrups and smooth compression to below the ankles but don't do it with the tights. I haven't found anyone making the perfecrt thing, and I've tried a lot.  .
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
Gramps I have a variety of them and none are perfect. Mostly I use the recovery tights because they have a bit higher compression. I have to cut the cuff at the bottom because it restricts circulation to my feet. It's stupid, they make a sleeve with stirrups and smooth compression to below the ankles but don't do it with the tights. I haven't found anyone making the perfecrt thing, and I've tried a lot.  .

Thanks!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »
If it might rain hard and also get windy, or if I'm doing a downwinder in warm air but cold water temps, I take a NRS 0.5mm Hydroskin long sleeve jacket with full zipper. I just tie it around my waist when I head out. It's wind and waterproof and pretty light and comfy. Nice thing about it is that you can quickly adjust the full front zipper from all the way up when chilled to fully open to cool your torso, or just take it off and tie it around your waist if you get hot. I just spray it down in the shower after my session and hang it up and it's dry the next morning. Their current model has spandex under the arms for more flexibility.

I've tried some other jackets but this one is my favorite by far. I'd  order one size bigger than you normally wear for a more comfortable fit.

Here's a link: http://www.nrs.com/product/15008.02/nrs-mens-hydroskin-05-jacket

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
http://www.smartwool.com

Stays warm even when wet.  I used the top for winter races in San Diego with fog and light rain. 

With temps in the 60's I don't think I would worry, you'll probably be warm enough just racing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
the Quicksilver jacket is still available and it's half off--but only in XS, S, M and 3XL sizes. 49 bux from quick. I'd snap one up if they had my size. Little people and Clydesdales score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x110SMkHi68

http://www.quiksilver.com/front-zip-paddle-jacket-AQMJL00002.html

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
http://www.supskin.com

Handmade in Austria!

Greetings from Austria

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
PonoB, I'm not sure I understand the quicksliver jacket. Is the the front neoprene and the whole back lycra? It's not like we paddle so quick to generate our own apprantl wind like XC skiing or road cycling. A chilly wind oter than from front and one would get cold, no?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal