Author Topic: SUP 's giving Kayak ' s a run for their money.  (Read 8505 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP 's giving Kayak ' s a run for their money.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
Anyone have sales data at a national level for SUPs vs kayaks? It would be interesting to see how close SUP sales (revenues and units) have come to kayaks. I'm assuming that kayaks are still ahead.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
In the ocean I rarely see Kayaks venture more than a mile outside of the harbor. Whereas Sup's you will see miles off shore daily. I used to be pretty much by myself sup'g distance  out in the ocean. Now there are groups Sup's doing distance in the ocean all the time.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
Interesting how SUP is viewed by and large in the surf world as a dorky loser form of surfing, but n the paddle sports world it is cutting edge cool and hip.   

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
As a former kayaker, 3 things irritated me. Overheating in summer as you can only roll to cool off unless practicing self rescues, having to paddle to shore to go potty, and pressure on lower back!

maybe we should differentiate between serious long skinny sea kayaks that can be Eskimo rolled, like TN mentions, and wide, affordable plastic rec boats or sit on tops that you see more and more of.  here, looks like SUP boards are getting the better of the plastic kayaks, while surfskis are replacing sea kayaks. sold my sea kayaks, paddle just SUP and surfski now. sea kayak - 50 lbs and up, spray skirt, PFD, pump, paddle float, paddle.  SUP and surfski - 25-30 lbs, paddle and leash. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
Interesting how SUP is viewed by and large in the surf world as a dorky loser form of surfing, but n the paddle sports world it is cutting edge cool and hip.

Kinda, sorta. There is a paddling shop close to me operated by kayakers and the surrounding area is home to a pretty core group who are seriously into paddling rapids, with others more into the touring aspect and the majority of them don't see stand up as "cutting edge cool and hip" at all. A couple have made the transition to paddling rapids on an SUP, but it's generally not viewed as a cool sport by the core kayakers I have been in contact with. It's more like, I tried it, it's alright, but why?

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
2 years ago, driving the highway between Portland Maine and Boston Mass, I counted kayaks vs SUPs on top of cars in the opposite northbound lanes.  I was surprised to count almost exactly 100 kayaks to 1 SUP.  I haven't done the count recently, but I would guess we are closer to 80/20 now.  Either number is a very positive sign for SUP, as it shows we still have a tremendous growth potential.  Every kayak COULD be a SUP. 

Being a shop owner who only plays with other people on SUPs gives me a very lopsided view of the market.  There are a ton of kayakers out there.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:56 AM »
Driving around in the Boston burbs I'm seeing a lot more sups on top of vehicles than the last few years. Not sure if it's a 1 to 1 ratio with the kayaks yet, but I often see 2 to 3 sups bundled together up top. On the water and at the put ins I usually see a lot more kayaks, usually with older couples or small groups. The sups I see solo males or families with multiple boards. I think it's the latter that will help sup grow with the perception of the surfer lifestyle and fitness while being a great lite beach toy.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
I say this all the time, but it used to be when I saw a downwind board on a car in Maui or Hood River chances are I knew the driver. Now they're like belly buttons--everyone has one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »
I came to SUP 4 years ago from sea kayaking. I SUP 98% of the time now but when it's blowing 25+ and the swell is 6'@ 6 seconds and the ocean is a chaotic heap there isn't much more fun than playing in longboats. I won't be selling mine anytime soon. This was yesterday at a spot in RI...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:53:31 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

TwoTurns

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to be just a short drive from either Tahoe's north or east shores and am able to paddle there regularly. Usually mornings before going in to work. I think there are several factors contributing to the SUP popularity around here. Some have been mentioned already but I think the biggest thing is "the cool factor."  Particularly with the younger population kayaks just don't have the same appeal. There are also several events/races at the lake through the summer that are heavily SUP focused that bring a lot of attention to the SUP community.  One other thing that seems to be popular with the Tahoe community is "buying local" when possible. There are at least 3 SUP companies in the Tahoe area for people to support.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
I came to SUP 4 years ago from sea kayaking. I SUP 98% of the time now but when it's blowing 25+ and the swell is 6'@ 6 seconds and the ocean is a chaotic heap there isn't much more fun tan playing in longboats. I won't be selling mine anytime soon. This was yesterday at a spot in RI...

Those conditions are where surfskis excel ...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 06:05:51 AM »
In the surf here in south jersey I've had many sessions where SUPs out number proners
SUP's are taking over! Not really but it's fun to have more SUP in the waves mellower vibe too
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
Around the tourist mecca here I don't think there is a bump in the amount of boards vs. kayaks on vehicles this year. Last year was the big bump from what I noticed. If anything I am seeing less watercraft on top of vehicles this year. That makes me think they are packing inflatable boards. I see more boards on the water every year and I try and stay away from the tourist areas and go off the beaten path. The rental shops do seem to double the amount of boards they have out on display every season for the last few years including this one.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
Around the tourist mecca here I don't think there is a bump in the amount of boards vs. kayaks on vehicles this year. Last year was the big bump from what I noticed. If anything I am seeing less watercraft on top of vehicles this year. That makes me think they are packing inflatable boards. I see more boards on the water every year and I try and stay away from the tourist areas and go off the beaten path. The rental shops do seem to double the amount of boards they have out on display every season for the last few years including this one.

Inflatable boards are definitely becoming more popular. I have a friend who just bought one for portability reasons. As far as watercraft on vehicles in the interior of BC? Huge, noticeable spike. Especially in the last couple of years. I think trends in stand up take longer to catch on here, with some trends, such as popularity in 14' boards not taking hold yet in many areas of the interior. In fact, one shop nearby stopped bringing in 14 footers all together, and another only seldom brings them in. 12 foot and under all-arounders are by far the most popular boards, followed by 12'6" displacement boards. I see more 14 footers the closer you get to the coast with a larger population base, but the smaller all around boards are still more popular.

I have noticed a big increase in plastic SOT kayaks, and shorter, plastic kayaks in general. I was selling a 12'6" board, with quite a bit of interest, but some prospective buyers said they were going to get a kayak from Canadian Tire, Walmart, Cosco instead. Fill your boots then. Same thing with stand ups. Prospective buyers were interested, but would say things like; "I can get a brand new board from Costco with a paddle for your asking price for a used board". Fill your boots once again. There is a big increase of cheaper big box boards in both plastic and epoxy being sold inland right now too.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
haha Tom I see that ALL the time, and no one believes me when I try and correct them.  they always revert back to holding it backwards
Same here, I've tried correcting people a couple of times. Now I just tell them once and that's it. I still have people posting comments on my SUP vs kayak YouTube video saying I'm holding it wrong.  ;D
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal