Author Topic: SUP 's giving Kayak ' s a run for their money.  (Read 8504 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP 's giving Kayak ' s a run for their money.
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
We're in Lake Tahoe visiting friends and I noticed an higher concentration of SUP'S on car racks more than ever, as we drove up. Our friends son works for a SUP and Kayak rental company at various locations around South Lake Tahoe.
He said at one of their locations they rent as many Sup's as Kayaks. At another location they rent 2× more Sup's than Kayaks. As we sat on the beach today, the SUP ' S totally out number the Kayaks .
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP 's giving Kayak ' s a run for their money.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
I have talked with vacationers out on the waves in Santa Cruz who SUP at Tahoe.  Also, my Pleasanton neighbors own a home up there.  They told me there are lots of SUP at Tahoe and they have been out on SUP rentals in bathing suits and shorts.

I asked about the freezing mountain water, and they said temperature in summer is OK close to shore, they didn't even think about a wetsuit.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »
This year I bought a 14' pro angler kayak and two paddle boards.  Sup cost more and gets used more. The kayak is good at what it is used for but it is used when there is no surf. 

Sup 2
kayak 1

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:27 AM »
here in Maine kayaks have ruled the waters for years, but lately I see many, many more sups on cars and in the water then ever before and the kayak stores have cleared store space for SUPs and SUP accessories.  On the back waters where I have been training the last 5 years, I never saw anyone on a SUP just canoes and kayaks, but that has changed dramatically.  I don't think a day goes by that I don't get a question or a comment from a kayaker asking "is that hard?", "that looks fun"  or "how much does one of those cost?"
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Belltownbikes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
We just got back from 2 weeks on Martha's Vineyard.  On the water it's about 50/50.  For every board I saw on the water though there were at least 10 of them on vehicles.  So many places to paddle out there that it is rare to see many others - except for the couple of rental spots.  B

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
We're in Lake Tahoe visiting friends and I noticed an higher concentration of SUP'S on car racks more than ever, as we drove up. Our friends son works for a SUP and Kayak rental company at various locations around South Lake Tahoe.
He said at one of their locations they rent as many Sup's as Kayaks. At another location they rent 2× more Sup's than Kayaks. As we sat on the beach today, the SUP ' S totally out number the Kayaks .

I could see SUPs being very popular at Lake Tahoe because of the water clarity. The line of sight that standing on a board gives is so much better than a kayak or canoe. It's a totally different experience when paddling in clear water on a SUP for the first time compared to a kayak, and it's usually the first comment I hear from first time paddlers, and it keeps them coming back. Even if the water isn't clear, the visual experience is not comparable to a kayak.

Boardfit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
I have done both and sup is far more fun than kayak imo. A much better body workout too. No comparison as far as fun factor.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
I'm getting the feeling around here that nobody under 40 or so rents kayaks anymore, but renting SUPs is very popular for that age group.  I'm on the "parade route" between Gorge Performance and the river, so I see all the rental people wheeling their boards past here, and they're mostly young, with a high percentage of women.  SUP numbers seem equal or greater to kayaks on the river, vs. their being almost non-existent a few years ago. 

On flatwater, kayaks are a nice way to see the scenery, but standup adds a physical challenge and interest kayaks don't have, especially if you're young and/or fit already.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
Mission Bay in San Diego is now covered with young people on SUPs holding their paddle backwards.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
haha Tom I see that ALL the time, and no one believes me when I try and correct them.  they always revert back to holding it backwards
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

berto

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
SUP has grown a lot in Tahoe over the past couple years.  Haven't been up yet this year but definitely going to rent a board while we're there.  The lake is cold but the goal is to spend little time in it and more time on it.  It's a refreshing dunk though it will suck the air out of you.  I can't believe I spent so much time in the lake when I was a kid.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »

I could see SUPs being very popular at Lake Tahoe because of the water clarity. The line of sight that standing on a board gives is so much better than a kayak or canoe. It's a totally different experience when paddling in clear water on a SUP for the first time compared to a kayak, and it's usually the first comment I hear from first time paddlers, and it keeps them coming back. Even if the water isn't clear, the visual experience is not comparable to a kayak.

SUPing on clean clear water is definitely enjoyable.  I love watching the changing terrain of rocks and boulders with a sunken log now and then and watching the fish is really interesting.  I'm lucky to paddle a lake like that most of the time; paddling in clear "warm" water would be even better, but I prefer living in the mountains.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
As a former kayaker, 3 things irritated me. Overheating in summer as you can only roll to cool off unless practicing self rescues, having to paddle to shore to go potty, and pressure on lower back!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
The water in Lake Tahoe in August is around 65 degrees.  It's fine for swimming or just jumping off my board to cool off.  I have noticed that when I have paddled to Emerald Bay, which is 6 miles one way, I mostly see Kayaks. So it seems most people still feel more comfortable paddling long distances,  on lakes, in Kayaks. Maybe a cargo thing?
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »
There's also the tandem with a child situation that would feel safer in a kayak.
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard