Author Topic: How can DW paddling be a spectator event?  (Read 5438 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How can DW paddling be a spectator event?
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:08:53 PM »
This video does a great job of it with a drone in relatively calmer winds.  (You make the settings to 1080p which looks great) The aesthetics are there but unfortunately these aren't the conditions that DW paddlers get excited about or what potential spectators would bother to watch even with the allure of distant Molokai.  And if there was rip roaring conditions, the drone probably wouldn't be able to fly or at least maintain adequate positioning for the shot.

It's very difficult to get exciting steady and clear video or even stills in high winds, especially when there hasn't been any money of significance so far to motivate someone to do it.  But even with current tech, it's probably doable.  It would be very expensive to create broadcast quality stuff but I'll bet the guy that does will have a great product to sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fjgEYAj8UA

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How can DW paddling be a spectator event?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
Im building a drone that will handle high wind and have 30 plus minute battery life. Easy with current tech but not generally done since no one else wants that. The secret is streamlining. Im doing it as a four arm multi but with top and bottom motors. Carved it out of foam and finished the bottom mold but set it aside.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
Can you run it while you're paddling or will you have to be on-shore? Wish we had drone footage of yesterday's Kihei run. All time.

Hope the drone is in-service by the time you're back here. Starting the countdown in September.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »
Interesting topic.  I was at the finish for M2O this year and was struck by the relative lack of interest.   I thought it was going to be "bigger." It seemed that most people were friends and family.  The finish venue was not spectator friendly either.  Got a free hat and koozie.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
I wonder if a plane type drone would be better for this. Someone has to be working on an albatross like drone that will just use the wind instead of fighting it. That or a kite.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
Perhaps not always downwind, but ocean races along cliffs can be a popular venue for spectators.
Advertising the race takes a lot of effort though, and if I may say so: I don't feel we do a very good job at letting the public know a race is about to take place.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:09:56 AM »
A live video feed of DW races would be AWESOME! And, yes, couch potatoes would love it too.

Somebody do it please. It's only a matter of time.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:47 AM »
I think it needs to be a combination of things. Firstly I don't think drone footage by itself is enough. I think having live feed from one or more boats in addition to the drone would make it more interesting. Just look at Headmount's footage of the M2M from a boat and you will see why. Then combining this with Paddler Tracker or some other real time based location system for each paddler so you can see where each paddler is. Finally there is the on-board GoPro that could be added to some key paddlers. This would have to be a standard mount and fitted to all boards to ensure no disadvantage an would be really hard to do well.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:30 AM »
Its not that exciying that someome would spend what it costs to cover. Yes the drones are easy to control, both as "follow me" and programmed path.  I want to do a combination wing/rotor for speed and  endurance but thats a big projecy for a dev team of one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »
If there is reliable cell phone coverage in the channel, then a forward mounted IPhone with telemetry showing heart rate, speed, and average mile splits for the top athletes would make it more exciting to watch.  Add a good broadcaster and technicians managing all the feeds to keep it entertaining. I know it’s not as simple as it sounds, but simpler than drones buzzing around.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
I think it needs to be a combination of things. Firstly I don't think drone footage by itself is enough. I think having live feed from one or more boats in addition to the drone would make it more interesting. Just look at Headmount's footage of the M2M from a boat and you will see why. Then combining this with Paddler Tracker or some other real time based location system for each paddler so you can see where each paddler is. Finally there is the on-board GoPro that could be added to some key paddlers. This would have to be a standard mount and fitted to all boards to ensure no disadvantage an would be really hard to do well.

I agree.  If the broadcast had several POVs it could be pretty interesting.  Having multiple paddlers within the frame is a must as well. Shooting one guy out far ahead of everyone else wouldn't work so well.  That's why that start in the drone vid is so cool, there so many guys going hard and then the pan out towards Molokai.  Liked that for a starter... but then it fell flat.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »
When I raced sailboats back in the 70's it was widely accepted that, as exciting and interesting as we all thought it was, it would never become a spectator sport. We were wrong. The coverage of the America's Cup was fascinating. Similar production values would work in DWing. Hell, if marathon running and cross-fit have a TV audience, why not M2O?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
If anyone can Headmount and PonoB can.

Headmount run some seaborne POVs. PonoB rustle up some spansers and betatest your drones.
You 2 got the skillz and are on the top spots. Someone needs to jumpstart the thang.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:34 AM »
The problem with equating the Americas Cup with this is the difference in the drama level. You have one person with a paddle moving at pretty low speeds vs a gleaming high tech rocket ship of a boat that is sponsored by huge $$$'s. The tech exists but I wonder if anyone more than us would care enough to watch. That said I do wish it would happen.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Stoney, Fair point about AC but I brought it up because I remember we used to think that, as exciting as we found sailing, no one would ever want to see it -- "grass grow," "paint dry," etc....

Marathon and crossfit were the examples I came up with in comparing to DWing..

14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal