Author Topic: the littlest things  (Read 3982 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
the littlest things
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Yeah Crap  stubbed my baby toe  while gardening wearing flip flops heard a funny click snap sound  like a twig  breaking and looked down to see my baby toe on my  back foot ( goofy)   sticking out off to the side.   that is when the click  sound  clicked. it was the sound of a baby toe snapping.  That was yesterday, today  can't put weight on it and I limp. _____  ARRRRGH. and whatever else I can think of. 

so what are some of your dumbest littlest injuries that  kept you form surfing? 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: the littlest things
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
i was in the spin cycle last Thursday out at Privates, my board bonked me on the right shoulder.  If it had been my head it would have likely knocked me out cold.  My shoulder hurt, but I stayed out and surfed for an hour, then limped in to Capitola and went to urgent care to see if I hadn't broken it. 
Xrays say nothing is broken but I've been in a sling since and may not even start moving it/using it for another few days yet.  Ouch!  AC joint is ok, clavicle ok, but that shoulder is complaining.  OK, I'm going to stop whining now.

Hopelessly stoked
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
One of the baffling things about aging is getting hurt and not knowing how.  I guess the muscle insertions and the ligaments get weaker.

I had no idea how I twisted/tore my left knee last October, but it is taking forever to heal completely.  Fortunately, it was never enough to stop me from SUP, though I SUP'd with pain for seven months before it became mostly a twinge.  It is still there, but not enough now to stop me from pressurizing and rotating, so my balance and maneuvers are progressing again.

Before that, I was dancing down the stairs at Privates and jumping from the rocks to the beach.  Now, I gingerly make my way down, at least until  I decisively can put major weight bearing pressure on it again without fear.

I have had a lot of injuries in the past ten years that I hadn't the foggiest idea how they happened. I wish I did know how I got them, so that I could engage preventative tactics. The only option is to stop doing stuff, which isn't really an option at this age, use it or lose it.  If it gets hurt once in a while, so be it.

I DID know how I broke my rib, however, that was obvious, and have had a couple of bruised ribs since, but nothing major enough to keep me off the board.

Sorry to hear about your injured shoulder, Paul, heal quickly. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:26:53 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
The above two are almost legitimate accidents.  Mine is simply moronic.  The ice cream (gluten, GMO and lactose free) had frozen too hard to scoop.  Shirley had a great idea to heat a spoon on the stovetop surface.  I did and inserted it into my guilt free desert.  It worked and sunk down deep into the quart container. 

Well you know how one can basically be out of control when it comes to sugar addiction?  That was me.  Couldn't wait like a civilized person, to scoop my portion into a bowl and savor it slowly.  Removed my hefty spoonful and quickly assumed that the heated spoon had dissipated its heat during its decent into the frozen abyss of my so called healthy decadence. 

Yeah I did it.  Stuck the whole thing in my mouth and screamed.  Burnt the crap out of my lips and tongue.  Sucked on an ice block for a few hours.  That was three days ago.  Today everything seems to be healing well tho yesterday's paddle was painful on the lips out in the sun. 

Never figured I'd spill my guts to admitting to being such a bonehead but saw this thread and figured it would be some kind of exorcism.  But then again, my figuring skills are in serious doubt these days.  Somebody asked me what my take away was.  "Yeah. well don't buy that healthy crap.  Freezes too hard."  He just shook his his and walked away.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
And the hardest thing to digest is how I used to gloat when I'd see someone put their tongue on a frozen chair lift bar.  Made so much fun of those guys... and now I'm that guy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Sometimes the boneheaded stuff takes on a life of it's own.  There are times I know I should just not do anything, be still until the karma improves, but I can't stop and I screw something up.  Sometimes, it is just willful.

I hate doing projects. A toilet plugged up in Santa Cruz. It didn't respond to the modalities of chemicals and augers.  I knew I was going to have to pull it, and thought, how am I going to hurt myself now?

There was a dense, silly putty ball of firm clay, sandy hard stuff just at the outlet of the toilet drain going into the wax seal.  It never would have dissolved or augered and had to be disimpacted piece by piece. I have no idea how such a thing could have gotten there or formed, I wonder if some kid had put something down there in the past and it just got denser and larger with time.

I managed to do it without hurting myself, dropping something on my toe, smashing joints, lacerating fingers etc. and re-installed the toilet, a rare event for projects I am unfamiliar with.

Of course, after mucking in the murk and toilet filth, my wife wouldn't let me anywhere around the rest of the house until I washed my clothes and took a scrubbed shower.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
pizza
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »
Angle grinder to the the knuckle on my left hand while the gloves I just bought with the leather and Kevlar reinforcement sat 6' away unopened.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
When I first started SUP, I was in some hurricane surf, paddling hard for a wave, bent forward for a stoke..... the backwash hit and I heard and felt a loud SNAP
My hamstring tore.... I went down hard.... and had a bad trip in.... luckily a buddy was there to pull my board out and help me through the shorebreak.
That night my leg turned black from my ass to my knee.
I couldn't walk 9 holes of golf for 3 months.

BUT.... after a week of R.I.C.E treatment...... I discovered flat-water paddling.... and have been hooked ever since  ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »
The above two are almost legitimate accidents.  Mine is simply moronic.  The ice cream (gluten, GMO and lactose free) had frozen too hard to scoop.  Shirley had a great idea to heat a spoon on the stovetop surface.  I did and inserted it into my guilt free desert.  It worked and sunk down deep into the quart container. 

Well you know how one can basically be out of control when it comes to sugar addiction?  That was me.  Couldn't wait like a civilized person, to scoop my portion into a bowl and savor it slowly.  Removed my hefty spoonful and quickly assumed that the heated spoon had dissipated its heat during its decent into the frozen abyss of my so called healthy decadence. 

Yeah I did it.  Stuck the whole thing in my mouth and screamed.  Burnt the crap out of my lips and tongue.  Sucked on an ice block for a few hours.  That was three days ago.  Today everything seems to be healing well tho yesterday's paddle was painful on the lips out in the sun. 

Never figured I'd spill my guts to admitting to being such a bonehead but saw this thread and figured it would be some kind of exorcism.  But then again, my figuring skills are in serious doubt these days.  Somebody asked me what my take away was.  "Yeah. well don't buy that healthy crap.  Freezes too hard."  He just shook his his and walked away.
Reminds me of a teacher I had who didn't like the concept of averages:  "If you put one foot into a bucket of ice, and the other into a bucket of boiling water, on average you'll be comfortable".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »
The kind of incident you guys are talking about I call "tuesday".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »
I call it sunday
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:10:59 PM »
I'm about to call this shoulder (tuesday) healed and give it a go tomorrow.  Not much bump left, but around low tide we should see enough to move my board.

Amazing how little it takes to maintain stoke - even at my tender age  ::) ::) ::)
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal