Author Topic: Maine  (Read 3010 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Maine
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »
Any zoners live in Maine ?

I will be up visiting relatives,  Boothbay area,  on the Damascotta river.   Looks like some swell for this weekend.   I know about Popham beach,   There is another beach at reid park that I have boated by before.   Any little surfable break near Boothbay ?   I saw some breaking waves northeast around the corner from ocean PT, (mouth of little river) last year that might have some possibility.

JP

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maine
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Can't say I know any breaks other than Popham, but I have paddled the Damariscotta  River before and it's a great and beautiful flat water paddle.  If you can get to the reversing falls in Sheepscott Village, there is a standing wave popular with kayakers…we rented a house right at the reversing falls and it was a cool albeit tricky wave at the right tides..much easier on a kayak.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
Popham is kind of my second home, and the south end (to the right of the island with the tumalo) offers a whole lot of fun with any kind of swell.  I know Reid less well, but have had fun a few times all the way down at the far southern end surfing around the so-called river mouth there, but at low tide it can get way too shallow.  The beach break at Reid is otherwise too steep and poundy for me.

I think there might be another spot or two closer to Boothbay or Damariscotta.  I used to check out a website called "mainewaves" that had lots of info, but I am not sure it is still functioning.  You might also get lucky using google earth.

Popham is worth the drive.

See you out there,

Logan

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
Popham is kind of my second home, and the south end (to the right of the island with the tumalo) offers a whole lot of fun with any kind of swell. 

What's a tumalo?

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
A tumalo is a sand bridge connecting an island to the main land at low tide, but covered at high tide.  Apologies for geeking out!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:28:35 PM by Logan »

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »
The Damascotta is really nice,   been going to this cottage for my whole life.   Will try to feel it out if I can swing by Popham on Sunday on our way back.   

Thanks for the info.   I will still look around for a local wave.  Was looking on NC charts and google maps before.  JP

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
A tumalo is a sand bridge connecting an island to the main land at low tide, but covered at high tide.  Apologies for geeking out!

Thanks, I've never heard the term.

Google maps calls that spot Morse Point.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
Ended up not bringing the SUP on the trip.   Fiddling around with the roof rack on my wife's new car,  I realized the hatch would not open with the board on top.  Would have been nice to get some exercise, but plenty to do for the few days up there.   Seemed like Sunday AM had swell,   might have been a good surf or sup-sail somewhere.  So nice up there,  Ocean Point on a calm day.  JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal