Author Topic: Costa Rica SUP surf trip videos- Fabrice Beaux and Nosara Pura Vida  (Read 9752 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
We took a family vacation to Costa Rica in July 2015 and scored some amazing uncrowded waves on our stand up boards.  The summer is the off season and it was hot but the south swells were great and Costa Rica is a beautiful place to visit.  I made a couple of videos of the people and places I recommend looking up if you are planning a trip.

Pura Vista Hills:

My good friend and Blue Planet team rider, Fabrice Beaux, formerly a professional windsurfer moved to Costa Rica a few years ago and now operates two vacation rental villas in a beautiful remote location overlooking the jungle and ocean, surrounded by wildlife.  He showed us some amazing, uncrowded surf breaks that were perfect for stand up paddling.  His local knowledge of the remote spots and what tide/ swell direction/ wind they work best with really helped us score some great surf.   Check out the video for some video footage of SUP surfing in the area and what Fabrice Beaux is up to these days.

https://youtu.be/aDuEbrkfEeo

For more information on Fabrice's vacation rental villas, please visit: http://www.puravistahills.com

We stayed at the larger Hacienda Isabella, which sleeps up to 10: http://www.vrbo.com/510392

Fabrice also rents Hacienda De Shira, which sleeps up to 4: http://www.vrbo.com/510392

Nosara Pura Vida:

We also went to Nosara where Oscar Diaz, a Nosara local and owner of Nosara Pura Vida showed us some of his favorite Stand Up Paddle surfing spots, including an incredible right hand reef break and Playa Guillones, a beautiful beach break in walking distance from his new shop.  We are currently working on a distribution deal to bring Blue Planet boards to Costa Rica and Nosara Pura Vida will be the first dealer to have our boards in stock, check back for more details coming soon. http://www.nosarapuravida.com:

https://youtu.be/pQn4XsezvnI

Here are a few stills from the trip:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:24:13 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Costa Rica SUP surf trip videos- Fabrice Beaux and Nosara Pura Vida
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:16 AM »
Robert,Timely post. On my way to Nosara on the 19th! Thanks.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
Robert,Timely post. On my way to Nosara on the 19th! Thanks.
Cool, look up Oscar, he is a great guy and his new shop should be finished by then. 
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:28:55 PM »
One of these days.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »
Robert, just back from Nosara. Got to meet and surf with Oscar (nosarapuravida.com). Like you said, a great guy!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
Robert, just back from Nosara. Got to meet and surf with Oscar (nosarapuravida.com). Like you said, a great guy!
Great, glad to hear that.  How was the surf?  Do you have any photos?
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
Surf in Guiones was good, we then went North to Avellanas and Grande and got skunked. Only got one pic, taken by a random photog, trying to set up a cutback on a small one in Guiones:

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
I was in Costa Rica recently to visit the brother-in-law who lives on Lake Arenel (yea the wind pooped out the day we arrived but did manage 1 good day of sailing) and did a quick side trip to the Pacific before heading home. Not being one that plans too far ahead I dug up this old post of Robert Stehlik at Blueplanet for somewhere to SUP the day before leaving the lake.

So off we went in a rental car to find Oscar at Nosara Pura Vida. What a great tip, not only did we meet Oscar there was great surf as well. We managed 2 days of surfing with Oscar and his brother Ramon who acted as guides and provided boards for my wife and I. Wow, what wonderful people and a pleasure to standup surf with especially with decent sized surf. We surfed Playa Garza both days and having someone with local knowledge made all the difference. There were two other standup surfers that joined us as well. Tim Nolte, a shaper from North Carolina and his friend Jimbo were on a month long trip and happened to be in Nosara at the same time. Really fun to meet them and get to know them better.

It took a bit of time finding Oscar as his shop moved and there was no signage yet. There is no such thing as street signs and addresses in CR. He and his brother have a new surf shop along with an outdoor restaurant in front called 10pies. Great food! They are the nicest Tico's you will ever meet that rip on standup boards in Costa Rica.

I managed some photos on day two. I did not bring the camera on day one and I would not have had time to take photos anyway. I needed to pay attention in keeping out of trouble as there were some decent sized sets.

Thanks again to Robert of Blueplanet for the tip and hope others on the Zone get a chance to make the trip to Nosara Pura Vida and SUP with Oscar. He is likely one of the best standup surfers in Costa Rica and a joy to watch work a wave.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
Awesome, that looks like the same break we scored some epic waves at.  It reminded me of Hanalei Bay on a perfect day but without the crowd.  Glad you found Oscar and Ramon, they are great guys and surf guides.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey ,

A couple questions for those who have been to nosara?  Did Oscar get some blueplanetsurf boards to rent down there ?  I just got some cheap airmile tickets to liberia last week for july and was trying to find a board to rent .  I was going to do a sup camp but taking my girlfriend now with her kids so trying to plan it out . I guess the camps are all in or nothing (nosara paddlesurf, blue zone)  Flying delta and they say on the website " 50lb max 115" to bring a board but its a rip at $150 each way even though I am using alaska miles ?  Any advice welcome. 

I got Oscars name from someone else so emailing him . 

Thanks

James in pdx

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »
Hi James,
No, Oscar did not get any Blue Planet boards yet, we hope to work something out by the fall of 2016 but everything moves slowly in Costa Rica, so it could take longer...
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »
Oscar has a pretty decent collection of boards for hire. Just depends on what size you normally use for surf. But he certainly can let you know what's in the cage these days. Blue Planet boards would be nice but as Robert mentioned shipping stuff to CR can be difficult.

Jordan, who runs Chorotegas Surf School, asked us why we drove a rental car there. He made total sense. You can hire a van to drive you from the airport and not worry about getting to your destination and making it to the airport on time for much less then renting. Plus since you are there in the rainy season the dirt roads can go bad in a hurry. You can walk anywhere in town and surf in front at Playa Guiones. The only reason we surfed Playa Garza was because the surf was too big to sup at Guiones

You'll have a great time.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Just got back from a week there. Spent a couple days at Guiones. Really really cool town.
Bunch of old shit

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips .  I will be down july 26 to august 6th if you want to join me.  Yes a transfer seems easier and we can still rent a car in nosara if we want for a few days to explore . 

Hoping this works out to be a good trip and the rains stay light during my week . 

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
We rented quads from a shop on the main strip in Guiones, Monkey Quad. $55 for 24 hours. He has ATV's with board racks too. Lors of really cool little, hidden villages on the coast there, definitely worth exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal