Author Topic: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?  (Read 18885 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:35 AM »
As I said earlier on this thread, once upon a time, SUP was done on prone surfboards.  There were no boards specifically made for remaining in a standing position using paddle.  Granted they were very big surfboards.  Not sure what John Zapotocky originally used.  I will speculate that he stated on the very large wooden boards that most guys in Waikiki used in the early days,plus he was a pretty short guy.  John "Pops" Ah Choy started doing it with a Hobie tandem board his son Leroy gave to him.  Leroy and brother Bobby originally used either tandem boards or the huge oversized Waikiki rental boards that were made that way for the benefit of tourists learning to surf.  Laird and Dave started off with tandem boards. When Rick Thomas moved to San Diego he and a few others started off using Munoz Super/Ultra Glides.  SUP was not originally a separate sport from "surfing" and the boards used not designed to be used with a paddle in the standing position.  Granted, it was a viewed as a novelty at best but it was still not really its own thing.  Whether or not one wants to view wave riding on a SUP board in current times as "surfing" or its own entity us up to personal interpretation, but it didn't start off as being a separate sport.  It was just an alternative to laying down or kneeling.

On a separate note, let's PLEASE not let "COWABUNGA!" become the rallying cry for SUP surfing.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2015, 06:06:42 AM »
On a separate note, let's PLEASE not let "COWABUNGA!" become the rallying cry for SUP surfing.

Great, now I'll be singing "Gremmie out of Control" all morning...

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:45 AM »
I hear and read it all the time, especially online, where proners say that SUP surfing is not really surfing.  I personally couldn't care less what they think of us, but I was interested what Zoners thought of the notion.  What is your reaction to proners saying SUP is not surfing?

This has become a very interesting thread. Mostly, because it has leaned towards the definition of surfing on an SUP based on how the eventual surfer is propelled into the wave. "Proners", boogieboarders,  kneeboarders and surflivesavers do it on their bellies and some on their knees as longboard gliders also do. Waveskiers, kayakers and surfskiers on their butts. SUP'ers, windsurfers and kiters on their feet. Popups have been discussed as the definition line between SUP surfing and "prone" surfing. Other interesting sub themes and historical perspectives have enriched the discussion as well.

I feel the  difference that the "proners" complain about is the use of the paddle during the actual wave ride. There's a big difference between surfing a wave on a low volume board (one that won't allow for standing up to catch the wave) and surfing with a paddle on a floatier board. Once on the wave, at least, in the narrow definition of the "proner vs super" discussion, the proner uses mostly the wave propelling action and tailors the moves on the wave to the power zone of the wave-they keep very close to the pocket-not venturing that much into the gutless area of the wave. The SUPer, paddle in hand, once on the wave, has the option of using the paddle to pivot on maneuvers and help propel themselves on gut less sections, or just brace on turns. Some proners call it "stabbing" the wave. When a "proner" surfs on an SUP for the first time, they either carry the paddle or end tossing it overboard, trying to ride the SUP as a lower volume board does.

SUPers are not the only ones using paddles, or for instance, their  hands during the actual wave ride. Kneeboarders and surf lifesavers use their hands almost as SUPers use their paddles. Kayakers and surfskiers use their two bladed paddles to brace and turn.

IMO, the "proners" disdain for the act of surfing from the SUPer way of performing it, comes from the use of the paddle during the actual ride, more than the propelling action to get into the wave, or the initial position to do so.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »
i dont prone surf anymore because i enjoy sus so much more. i keep my longboard around for proner friends who come visit without gear.

to civilians i say i am going surfing--to friends who regular surf i explain that i sup--explain that i tried it bc my bad hip was making popup very difficult, and go on to say my wave count's now better and the fun i have is better than ever--and they take note when in the water with me.
attitude?? fuck em
but really, less and less attitude these days i am finding, tho i cant imagine surfing any which way at the crowded mainstream breaks in CA and other go-to places.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
Because yelling COWABUNGA! as we paddle through a crowded lineup could alienate us further? How about we reserve yelling COWABUNGA! only when we cut someone off? ;) Just kidding, you people.

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SUStenance

• Waikiki Status
  • Unexpected Sweet Swell
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
I personally consider it surfing, as do all the seasoned vets in our line up whom I respect and have learned much. As seems to be the consensus in this thread, I don't care what anybody calls it -- it does not take away from my enjoyment. However, I wonder what the law enforcers say? Below is a an excerpt from the regulations at a beach area (VA Beach). So, would one get a ticket for surfing waves on a SUP if they were in violation of the day/time restrictions?

Surfing Regulations

Except were otherwise provided herein, from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend, it shall be unlawful for any person to use a surfboard in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Fridays, weekends and holidays, in any of the following areas:
9' Angulo Surfa
10' WatersEdge EZRider

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal