Author Topic: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?  (Read 18879 times)

JoeSUPh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 06:01:58 AM »
I don't care what it's called, all I know is that this past Saturday I took my 12'6" displacement race/touring board from Tahoe, my coiled leash, my bending branches wooden blade paddle and surfed the shit out of Assateague.  First time ever playing with a SUP in the waves, nose dived a lot, got slammed a few times, gashed my toes on the tie down points, and had a freaking blast.  Now I'm cruising craigslist for a cheap sup surfboard.  I don't care what other people call it, I call it a good time.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure typing is not surfing.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »
Why do we give a shit WTF anyone else calls it. Anyone that says its not is a dick, why do you care what a dick thinks?
I agree entirely. I find the angsty navel-staring that this forum can sometimes indulge in a bit frustrating.  A related and recurring topic is the "why do surfers hate us so much?" one that crops up in various guises. Please stop worrying so much about what other people think - or call you - and just get on with enjoying yourself.

What we do is SUP. There are different subdisciplines of SUP and one of them is surfing. This is just like e.g. kayaking, where there is also racing, whitewater, surfing, whatever. If you wanted to be pedantic then you'd call what we do in surf "paddle surfing" or SUP surfing, but when I go out of the door I just say to my wife "I'm going surfing" and I don't bother to specify what precise wave riding equipment I'll be using. She doesn't give a toss, and neither should anyone else.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:51 AM »
Every proner will SUP at some point if they want to stay standing up while riding waves. VERY few are able to pop up properly into the later years due to knees, backs, etc, then it's SUP or sit on the beach

I don't know about that.  I see plenty of guys well into their 50's and even 60's and a few in their 70's who prone surf and have no problem "popping" to their feet.
Ehh, 50's not so much. Getting into the 60's an especially mid to late 60's the numbers start falling off pretty quick. 70's? very few out there. There are the few here and there but uncommon. 
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »

I find the angsty navel-staring that this forum can sometimes indulge in a bit frustrating.  A related and recurring topic is the "why do surfers hate us so much?" one that crops up in various guises. Please stop worrying so much about what other people think - or call you - and just get on with enjoying yourself.

Wrong.  I started this thread and, in the first paragraph, stated that I do not care whatsoever what proners think.  I'm a proner too anyway.   I'm not whining, staring at my navel, or complaining, but I'm enjoying reading what other Zoners think.  It's just for fun and interesting conversation, please keep it in that context. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:08:43 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
What seems strange to me is that a lot of people on this forum don't seem to think that standup is real surfing, as if it's somehow different just because we use a paddle. I say it isn't.

Standup surfing may be a subcategory of paddleboarding in general, but it's not a subcategory of surfing. Standup surfboards represent what surfing is just as well as any other type of surfboard.

I love the look on peoples faces when I show them my surfboards.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:13:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
Well when I'm on a wave and doing the same things prone surfers do on a wave then it is surfing. I think I make a distinction between surfing and catching/riding waves. I would consider someone on a surfski to be riding or catching waves but not surfing.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
I say so, what say you and if its not surfing, what is it then?

For a distinction I might say sus but really why. Its surfing.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
Surfing is whatever people perceive it to be and that perception is constantly evolving.   

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 11:35:20 AM »
Dog surfing is cool.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
Dog surfing is cool.
As the dyslexic would ask "What would Dog say"
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
To me, this is a question of word association maybe based on experience: What activity/images do you associate with the word 'surfing'? There are no right or wrong answers.

If someone said to me, "I was surfing at _______, this morning, it was epic", I'd immediately think of proning and standup. I'd think of riding waves standing up on a board. To me, that is what I associate with 'surfing'.  I probably would not, as a matter of first association, think of the image of someone bodysurfing, or using a paipo or a boogie board or a kayak or an outrigger. But, all of those things and more are still surfing, just not what I typically think of first when someone says "I was surfing".

I definitely would not associate 'surfing' with riding a friggin motorcycle with skis on it at Pipeline. ;D

But really, 'surfing' is just riding waves, doesn't matter on what.

I had a 26' displacement hull keel sailboat for many years. On a windy day with big swell, we'd beat upwind for an hour or so and then surf the boat all the way back down to the marina. Yes, it would surf, especially with all that power you could wring out of the sails. It was big fun and you'd get the same kind of thrill catching a wave as you do on everything else. Watching the bow drop into a trough as the following wave picked up the stern and accelerated us was a blast. Everybody would be watching the knot log as we got an instant digital readout of our surf speed. Lots of hooting and hollering! Same thrill as downwind surfing on a big standup board.

There's a video that's been on FB of these big pilot boats, like the Coast Guard uses, doing sea trials in and out of huge (10 meter) waves. There's no question that the captains are watching the waves, powering up at the right moment and surfing these huge heavy boats in the waves. It is really something to see and there is obviously a lot of skill involved in keeping a big, heavy boat pointing the right way at the exact right time to not only avoid disaster but to actually surf in through big seas.

So, to me, it's all surfing if it is riding waves, doesn't matter if it's on this craft or that craft or bodysurfing, which has got to be the purest form of surfing. But, my first association will always likely be riding waves on surfboards, whether they're standup or prone paddlers.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
Riding Waves is Surfing...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
There must not be any swell currently if this is the topic of the day  ::)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal