Author Topic: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?  (Read 18882 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
I hear and read it all the time, especially online, where proners say that SUP surfing is not really surfing.  I personally couldn't care less what they think of us, but I was interested what Zoners thought of the notion.  What is your reaction to proners saying SUP is not surfing? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Riding waves on a SUP: Is that surfing?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
It's nice SUP consolidated them so that they don't just fight with each other like they used to.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
A stupid notion.  As if the most important part of surfing is popping up. Last time I checked no one gives a damn how good you are at that. Wow, that Kelly Slater is really good at getting to his feet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
yes no doubt  what else would it be ? flying?  nope it is surfing,
bottom turns  Y
off the lit    Y
tube rides    Y
 floaters   Y
 riding a wave    Y
   yes  it is surfing
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »
Maybe just an ageism thing.  If you are young, hip slick and cool, you can pop up from prone and it is "real" surfing.

If you are old, uncool etc.  and have to stand up to catch a wave, then get lost, Pops.

Around Santa Cruz areas that I haunt, the SUP guys (not me) are at least the equal if not better than the average proner floating poop, because most of SUP have already had years if not decades of prone experience.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
Is butt-riding surfing?

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »
I have ridden waves for over 55 years on everything including long boards, short boards, windsurf boards, waveskis, kayaks, and outrigger canoes; and I have to say that watching someone like SUPTHECREEK on a wave is about the best example of true surfing that I have ever seen 8). Yes, there are plenty of folks out there on all different surf craft whose performance may not do justice to their chosen tool, but masters like STC prove beyond a doubt that SUPs are indeed capable of expressing the highest levels of surfing.
Admittedly, to convince a 16 year old on a short board, you would probably have to have Kai Lenny show up and do an aerial 360 over their heads :o, but I learned a long time ago not to worry about what 16 year olds think. ;D
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »
Every proner will SUP at some point if they want to stay standing up while riding waves. VERY few are able to pop up properly into the later years due to knees, backs, etc, then it's SUP or sit on the beach
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

OC kbar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retributionfitness.com/index.html
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
I wear a blue wetsuit and call it "smurfing". 😎

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
This worried me....

so I Googled: "How to be a REAL surfer"

After all..... I want to get this right...... so others will approve of me.

My findings....
Lots of great info on how to be a surfer girl

but alas..... nothing about how to be a surfer boy

my findings....
in pictures  (in case any surf forum guys are lurking)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
While I was writing my last post, I just saw the one from RATbeachrider about "butt-riding". Since a 7'5" waveski has been one of my favorite surf craft over that past dozen years, I thought that I would jump in on his question. A high performance waveski can surf as well or better than most other surf craft out there. As in SUP, watching the average Joe may not show the full potential, but a short, hard-edged ski can do full rail carves and boost air like a short board, and carry speed through fully carved roundhouses like few other boards. I am attaching a few videos of an acquaintance over here in Hawaii who is in the age group of many of us on the forum (60s), who even at that ripe old age manages to show that waveskiing (not sure butt-riding is a complementary term), is definitely surfing. For those that remember him, the last video includes a guest appearance by another acquaintance, legendary big wave surfer Ricky Grigg shortly before he died.
Forgive me for being defensive, but the one thing more ridiculous than prone surfers deriding SUPs, is SUPs deriding waveskis. If your chosen tool allows you to use the energy of a wave to express the soul of surfing, then it is surfing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGnm6ohR2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diqzTdpURLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiGrhsuFtI
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
I always considered  waveskiis as surfing  same as boogie boards     I used to see these kids on boogie boards get up on one knee and crank some serious turns.
 so a question? If standup was never  rediscovered, how many of us would be on wave skies right now.  I  for one!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
I would say that SUP is NOT surfing, waveskiing is NOT surfing, boogie boarding is NOT surfing.  Prone surfing is surfing, SUP surfing is a new thing unto itself and it's better!!  Very egotistical for them to think that we are trying to be like them.  Who cares what a bunch of proners think anyway?  Not me. 

By the way, I rode a waveski exclusively for about 4 years, it's really fun and I have respect for it.  I've called it butt boarding even when I was doing it.  I think that's a great name, doesn't insult me at all. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:01:06 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
Nalu.... thanks!
It was great to see Ricky Grigg out there grinnin' and ripping!

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »
That is what I called all of my butt-rider friends at DP and they like it so not meaning to be disrespectful.  I also called them two-sweeper.  Proners don't hate us.  Rather they hate the idiot on the tanker who's not sharing.

Funny story ... so I took a break from SUS'ing and instead I've been out surfing on my single fin $99 Costo board for the last few days.  Initially I received a few snickering when I paddled out and mixed in ... until they saw me ripping the floater and nose riding the damn thing. #TeamCostco.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal