Author Topic: On the oregon coast for a few days  (Read 3304 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
On the oregon coast for a few days
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
Where is the surf working?  Im staying in manxanita but anything within an hour or so will work. Anything in pacific city?  Manzanita is socked in an the swells are disorganixed slop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: On the oregon coast for a few days
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »
Hmmm, forecast doesn't look great, but I haven't found the forecasts that accurate this summer either.  I was in Newport at Otter last week and that cleaned up nicely when some random South swell came in on occasion.
From where you're at, maybe check out the Cove at Seaside if it isn't windy.  Lars Bergstrom always goes to Indian beach, which is just up the road from you.  I haven't had luck there, by he posted some pretty nice pictures from there a few weeks ago.
The good news is the water has been super clear and warm lately.  It was 63f on Tuesday and you could see the bottom clear of the point at Otter. Not Hawaii clear, buy as clear as I've ever seen it in Oregon. Good luck.
JP

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
PC Glassed off this evening. Went out from 7 to 8 pm, smooth but baby waves. Marginal surf lately.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:48 PM »
Not to disagree with my most esteemed sky pilot surf junkie, JP4, but Seaside Cove is a better winter spot because the mountain (Tillamook Head) protects it from the predominant southerly storm winds in Winter. Summer almost always has the NW or Northerlies blowing so the Cove gets blown out a lot.

If you go on the other side of Tillamook Head, at Ecola State Park, Indian Beach is sheltered from the northerly winds and sometimes it will be cleaned up and fun. I have only proned there, it was one of my usual spots for a long time. Don't know how stand up fits in there. It's not a very big area and I know how Pono can terrorize a line up.

Of course PC is worth a shot, Cape Kiwanda provides a bit of a break from northerlies too. Agate and Otter are both protected spots too, with Otter Rock and Yaquina Head keeping the northerly Summer winds off the surf, although that's a pretty good drive south for you.

Pono probably knows all the spots, I guess he's begging someone to say that there is actually surf showing somewhere. Sorry, but I can only provide useless info Mr. Bill. Try the Oregon Surf Report http://www.oregonsurf.com/pages/forecast/forecast_landing.html

Now, if you come ovah Maui, we are in for some major swell on the north shore when Guillermo gets here later in the week. I'm thinking it's going to be way too messy and disorganized to make for any good surf. Maliko was wild and wooly yesterday with a steep, big tradeswell that's being enhanced by the passing of a tropical depression south of the BI. But the wind is too north so Kihei is an 11 out of 10 while Maliko is kind of crappy. You would've loved Kihei today, it was all time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
I flipped a coin between pc and indian this morning and wound up in pc. Knee high with occassional chest but all local windswell 7seconds so no beans. I stayed out until the wind got irritating. Damn that water is cold. I wore a short sleeve 3/2. Nippy when i fell, but i doubt i could lurch to my feet in anything thicker.

Tide is comingg over the sandbar, so there might be somr bumps over by the cape later. One can hope.

Indian beach tomorrow i guess. I got a seriuos surf jones, but this isnt quite cutting it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Looks like the water temp dropped from 63 last week to 58f today.  No more pretending we're in California.
The water has been so warm that I bought a 3/2 full suit for summer.
JP
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:27:11 AM by JP4 »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
The weather mavens claimed Santa Cruz was 61-63F.  It sure felt cold yesterday on my first plunge, it was no 60's water.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday last week I was in board shorts and a hat, That's all no top, nada.  Fairly good surf too.  It's so flat, gona  go sailing on a Hobie at the cape this afternoon if the wind holds up.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
Had a nice session this morning at Indian Beach. Some of the set waves were shoulder high, and screwball enough to keep me on my toes and make it interesting. In the faint praise department, a surfer said "hey old man, you're awesome, you're getting all the good ones".

"Old man??" Didn't we just have a chat about that recently?

A nice lady said "You looked really good, have you been doing SUP long?"

So I said "Yes, this is my third time."

There was one other SUP guy out, and he was just flailing, and probably 50 longboarders and two shortboarders, none of them very good. I REALLY don't see why every surfer in Oregon hasn't switched to SUP. I wasn't freezing, I could get back out throught the endless short period hash, and I could spot the good waves and get into them. The simple fact that I was on a SUP meant I got 30 good waves per hour, and everyone else got two. And I was surrounded by shark decoys. I look like a boat, they look like injured sea lions.

SUP is PERFECT for Northwest, inconsistent, short period, cold, sharky water.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:44:37 PM by PonoBill »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »

SUP is PERFECT for Northwest, inconsistent, short period, cold, sharky water.

It is absolutely true, I only see 1 to 3 other sups per time out among 50 to 100 surfers. I'm in a 3/2 and no booties, meanwhile they are in 4/3s with waiting for waves with their hands stuffed into their armpits.

I have even told a few of them, "I'm catching 4x more waves and I am warmer than when I'm on my longboard".

But the best peak is dominated by guys on surfboards so I still use mine about half the time.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal