Author Topic: Blueprints for great all around/ touring board. First time shaper needing help!!  (Read 3018 times)

canuker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I'm a long term lurker and first time poster. I've grown increasingly interested in shaping my first board over the last couple months while on vacation. I'll be returning home soon and will finally have the space (my garage) to attempt a shape. I was hoping one of the more experienced shapers on here could share some blueprints for me to use or at least help refine mine. I downloaded Shape3d Lite but am finding difficult figuring out what dimensions would be best for my needs.

I am looking for an excellent flat water board that has potential for small surf. It should glide very well in lakes and rivers and be able to handle chest high surf. Im going to be spending 90 percent of my time in flat bodies of water with occasional trips to Tofino BC for surfing.

I was thinking something like 10'5"x 31" x 4.45" with no tail rocker and a slight nose rocker of 3" ish. And maybe a single concave bottom flowing into a double concave.

I am 5'9" 170 lbs with moderate athletic ability.

Honestly those dimensions are a complete shot in the dark but are based of board designs of big manufacturers. If anyone can help confirm if I'm on the right track it would be greatly appreciated!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
You'll need a little tail rocker but other than that you're probably about right. You can keep the bottom simple but I will ask, how often will you surf it? Are you near the coast? If not, go for the flat performance and just borrow or rent when you want to surf.

That said, I love a good 10' all-arounder for sheer fun.

Did you not find anything in the shape3d warehouse that was close? I'm sure one of the crew here can hook you up But I saw a 10'5 called AholicEvol and one called OceanDr that was pretty much what you described. The OceanDr looks easier to shape as the deck is pretty flat.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:09:27 PM by surfcowboy »

canuker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
You'll need a little tail rocker but other than that you're probably about right. You can keep the bottom simple but I will ask, how often will you surf it? Are you near the coast? If not, go for the flat performance and just borrow or rent when you want to surf.

That said, I love a good 10' all-arounder for sheer fun.

Did you not find anything in the shape3d warehouse that was close? I'm sure one of the crew here can hook you up But I saw a 10'5 called AholicEvol and one called OceanDr that was pretty much what you described. The OceanDr looks easier to shape as the deck is pretty flat.

So do concave's not have an advantage if your shaping a purely flat water board? Because realistically this will get surfed at most once a year so your comment about just renting seems to make sense.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone looked at the OceanDr on Shape3D Warehouse for all-arounder potential?
10'1" x 31.5" x 4.5", 185L
My daughter has asked me 2-3 times to make her one, she wants more of a fun board for small lakes than a touring or surfer model.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Canuker, what part of BC are you in?  If you're looking for an excellent flatwater board with good glide, I don't think you'll find it in a 10 foot surf type board.  If the only waves you'll get are on a surf trip, I would also suggest renting a board for the day or week in Tofino.  In that case, the only board I would want to own for flat water is a 14' race board.  If you lived in  an area with great smooth pavement would you choose to ride a mountain bike or DH bike?  If the only waves you get near home are wind driven, then you'll have lots more fun doing a downwinder on a race board that is capable of catching those waves.  You'll enjoy going fast and moving along well, maybe do a fun race or 2, paddle more often,build up your paddling technique, and then when you get to the surf, you'll catch more waves because you are a stronger more skilled paddler.

One week a year I go to Hatteras to kite and SUP, and for that I need a surf style board.  But, I would not paddle a surfstyle board at home on the flats all year just for the one week of waves.  Last time I went I was able to borrow a board.  I think I may end up making another board for surf, but I don't think you'll find one board that will do both very well.  Maybe you want to build a surf style board first, but don't make it so it's a total jack of all trades and master of none, because you may do a race board after that!

Peter

crazyeddy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
when I take my 10 foot surf sup on flatwater, the concave nose stores a bunch of air, which creeps out the sides, making a really weird popping noise.  It surfs a dream, but is a flatwater nightmare.  Different boats for different floats.  There is a reason surf SUPs and Flatwater SUPs are so different.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Crazyeddy! I'll have to ask her some more questions, like if she wants to be able to cover some distance or just have a 'pool toy' for the lake. I wasn't thinking any concaves but I was not thinking of a pronounced bow either.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest