Author Topic: when going down in board size how mUch?  (Read 4552 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
when going down in board size how mUch?
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
so I read many topics about folks going down in board size but the question I have is how big a drop in volume length and width makes sense?  Now  before you answer consider age and ability. if you are you 20 to 40  and skilled;   how far would you drop would you go? 50 liters and 1 foot  in length?
 what if you are  say 40-60   would 25 or 30 liters be too big at one time ?

how about over 60 as is my case?   how much is a good bet?

consider everything else being equal 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: when going down in board size how mUch?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
Really depends on what you are on right now. If you're at or near your smallest size, even a reduction of 10L could send you over the edge. On the other hand, if you're on a tanker that's around 200L, there's a chance you could easily shed 70L and be OK. Lots of variables still. Age doesn't necessarily dictate how big of a drop, it's more about body size and your skills & experience.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
I'm 58yo, 165 lbs and recently went from 9'4 X 31.5 155 Liters to 8'5 X 30 125 Liters with no problem.

I could have easily gone with 110 liters if it was available. It all depends on how much you weigh.

A lot also depends on the board.

The Jimmy Lewis World Wides are very user friendly with superb performance as are all the JL shapes.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:53:43 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
Another factor to consider is the surf break where you will be surfing most of the time and the typical surf and wind conditions of that break. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
with no problem.
This is important.

It depends on how much you want to work and how much of a challenge will you put up with. I'm 6'0, 188lbs and I'm on a 7'11 x 27, 93L board. It's not even that much of a challenge after a couple months. Board shape and outline does contribute to the ability to go smaller and with less volume. Whatever your expectation is, good luck in the search. It's fun discovering you can paddle something you never thought possible.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »
Kayadog said it perfectly,  "It depends on how much you want to work and how much of a challenge will you put up with."  I have to work really hard to stay upright and catch waves on my 7'4 board, and I fall over a lot.  Sometimes I get frustrated.  But it's worth it when I get on a wave and have a board that surfs like a short board. 

I have to admit that I have been taking out my 10'3 beginner board on occasion to take a break from the tipiness.  Turns terrible, but sure comfortable to paddle and stand on. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »
with no problem.
This is important.

It depends on how much you want to work and how much of a challenge will you put up with. I'm 6'0, 188lbs and I'm on a 7'11 x 27, 93L board. It's not even that much of a challenge after a couple months. Board shape and outline does contribute to the ability to go smaller and with less volume. Whatever your expectation is, good luck in the search. It's fun discovering you can paddle something you never thought possible.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. You have to have a certain degree of determination.

I remember reading something on the forum a long time ago that stuck with me. Someone said, "choose the board you want to be riding six months from now." With that in mind, I knew I could do it.

Ignore how the board initially feels. It takes months to get used to a new board. I've been riding my 8'5 since April and I'm still getting it dialed in. The process has been very satisfying.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:13:57 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
Smaller Board                          Bigger Board 

-Needs more wave                    -Works in small conditions
-Better turning                          -Less responsive
-Can be frustrating                    -Easier to live with
-Needs better conditions            -More stable in chop
-Harder to catch waves              -Easier wave catching
-Looks cooler                            -Doesn't look as cool

You just need to balance everything out. Personally, I'm finding 135 L to be a good all around volume for my conditions and experience level (intermediate). I'd rather not fight it as much and willing to trade a little performance. I'm 62 and 175
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
I used to subscribe to the "why struggle" theory... all my boards were good performers and had enough width & stability to allow me to relax out there.
last winter... at 66, my "comfortable" boards were getting more challenging.... I struggled more.
I just figured it was age catching up to me.... sigh....

Then I saw a board that was way below my comfort level.... but I had to have it.... it surfed like I wanted to surf. Period. So I bought it.
The thread below documents my journey.

Pushing myself.... and working for it, has changed me.
My "comfort" boards were aging me, because I wasn't getting the necessary challenge to keep my balance skills... I was going downhill.
Balance plays a VERY important role in the aging process.
The better your balance.... the better your mind and body function.... they are directly linked.

The "struggle" is very important. Try it!

ps.... my little board catches waves better than my "Comfort" boards and surfs better in marginal conditions.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27332.0.html

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:23 PM »
Stepping down around 20L at at a time has proven to be a good transition for me.  I recently went from 137.5L to 115L (both 9'0's), and the diminished stability is almost perfectly proportional to the increased shred-ability on a wave.

I've made the mistake of dropping down too drastically in size, and it's not worth it.  Incrementally is the way to go, for me at least. 

I'm 165 lbs so not near my limit yet.  I imagine going down to around 100L for the next switch-up.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »
I'm as short as I'm ever gonna go...

Airline limitations pushed me below 10'

Stay at home boards might be bigger than my travelling quiver...

Hopelessly addictedxxx
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
I used to subscribe to the "why struggle" theory... all my boards were good performers and had enough width & stability to allow me to relax out there.
last winter... at 66, my "comfortable" boards were getting more challenging.... I struggled more.
I just figured it was age catching up to me.... sigh....

Then I saw a board that was way below my comfort level.... but I had to have it.... it surfed like I wanted to surf. Period. So I bought it.
The thread below documents my journey.

Pushing myself.... and working for it, has changed me.
My "comfort" boards were aging me, because I wasn't getting the necessary challenge to keep my balance skills... I was going downhill.
Balance plays a VERY important role in the aging process.
The better your balance.... the better your mind and body function.... they are directly linked.

The "struggle" is very important. Try it!

ps.... my little board catches waves better than my "Comfort" boards and surfs better in marginal conditions.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27332.0.html

Creek. You nailed it here. I'm a great believer in that SUP does wonders for the aging process and can make you feel half your age. The better ones balance is, the better your ability to physically respond quickly, the lighter your step, the less old you feel. As we age we slow down. For men and women the physical peak is late 20s - early 30s and we start to lose balance abilities soon afterwards. So it figures that by dropping board volume within reason, improves your cat-like abilities and aids progress and slows decline.

Here's a link to prime physical age.. http://livehealthy.chron.com/men-women-reach-physical-peak-2652.html. So keeping pushing to improve balance seems like a great way to feel younger.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:49:55 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
I've been on this slow creep towards a bigger board, probably because I've put on almost #20 this year. Last week the narrow 10'6 I was demoing was around 160L. Fun in the little mushers. I'm checking CL every few days, trying to find that thinner 10' x 28" something that is a performer. Then yesterday I was at DoHo with some head high sets rolling in. I thought they looked big enough and steep enough to take my 9' 140L board out. The back wash was pretty heavy, but not much wind. The first wave I caught, my green machine just took off. Their was another guy on a big sup shoulder hopping. I made a couple of turns behind him, then just blew by him with a big bottom turn. Every wave I rode reminded me of just how much more response and speed I get on that board vs any of the bigger boards I've been demoing. It takes a bigger wave to get it going, but it turns as I think about turning. Not forced. After two awesome rides, it reminded me why I put up with the struggles of trying to stand in the line up on a smaller board. It's worth it!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
Another factor to consider is the surf break where you will be surfing most of the time and the typical surf and wind conditions of that break.

Ditto. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »
I'd been riding my 9'8" x 29" glass DP Maui winged swallowtail, more rounded nose, for a few years and last winter started feeling pretty comfortable on it. I wanted something smaller, less volume that wouldn't feel like it was a bouncing sailboard when I manned up and caught bigger and faster waves.

I also had a 9' Hokua and it filled the gap pretty much perfectly. It took some work and conquering my fear of using the smaller board but eventually I started taking it out for everything, as long as the surf was at least waist high. The Hokua surfed like a skateboard but still felt rock solid and I could paddle it decently, even in smaller chop. But it was older and kind of beat up and it had numerous repairs. I convinced myself I could go smaller still. So I sold the Hokua in one day on CL and found another DP Maui board, this one 8'6" x 28.5" and 3" thick. It is a rounded pin with a pulled in nose. Started taking it out in a very predictable break at the harbor and, as long as it isn't very choppy, it's very fun. But the water in there is relatively smooth and there are channels to get out, although with the nose, it actually punches through white water very well. 

The little DP is VERY fun on the waves, feels super fast down the line and turns faster and is capable of moves I've yet to even come close to mastering.  I have it set up as a tri fin but also can set it up as a quad.

Nevertheless, I find myself having to have near perfect conditions to justify all the work of taking it out. You have to paddle it gingerly because it does not want to go straight for more than one or two paddle strokes, it's hard to balance on it and it's just a lot of work overall. Yes, it's really fun on the waves but then, so is my 9-8 and it does everything else really well while inspiring confidence and being a very easy board to paddle. It's just a little big at times. Maybe I should just live with it.

I may have gone too far down with the 8'6". I think a 9'0 pulled in nose shape would be a better compromise. The Hokua was very good but a production pop out. I think a glass 9-0 would possibly be the perfect smaller board for me. But, then, part of me thinks, tough it out, keep riding the 8-6 and you'll get better balance and be a better surfer for it. Jury is out. I'll use it some more through the Fall and then decide if I will keep it or sell it and move back up to a 9'.

I'm 155 lbs and late 50's and trying to make up for many years of lost water time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:34:57 AM by covesurfer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal