Author Topic: Yeehaw kinda downwinder.  (Read 1559 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeehaw kinda downwinder.
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
Plenty of wind today..  :)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Yeehaw kinda downwinder.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
Nice!

We got our first really solid day in a very long time yesterday and your vid captures the essence of what makes for a fantastic downwind run. It's that two to three hits with the paddle and then you're into multiple connections, surfing for extended periods. I like the way the vid shows how just trimming and shifting your weight keeps the board speeding along. Fun to watch you surfing the 14 fixed fin. I'm on a 17'4" ruddered board and loving the extended glides and stability. But you sure have to move around a lot to keep the nose at the right attitude. 14's are a little more like a surfboard in that you can be a bit more subtle and keep the board going fast. That looks like great conditions and BULK fun (we've had a lot of Aussies here so the expressions are wearing off on us! ;D).

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
Yeehaw indeed! Awesome conditions DJ. I always wondered how you edit in the good bits, and I think I have figured out what those hand signals are for... ;D

I generally am too chicken to take a hand off the paddle, and so scream when it's good. When editing I look for the sound peaks in the sound track (usually below the picture footage in the editing software) and hone in on them. Shortens the editing time considerably. There is no time to reach for that side GoPro button that marks your favorite bits real time.

I'm now in Scotland and looking at WG there are some freekin awesome winds this coming week on the West Coast. Pinged ColdSup, but he is on the East Coast and sadly out of action. All I have is an iSUP with me, but better than nothing...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
Sweet!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal