Author Topic: Starboard All Star vs Ace vs Sprint - Review  (Read 7816 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Starboard All Star vs Ace vs Sprint - Review
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
I've now had a fair bit of time on all 3 of these boards. I own the 2015 Sprint 14x23 and the 2013 Ace 14x23.5 and have had the 2012 14x25 Ace. The Ace hasn't changed much since 2013. I used to own the 2015 All Star 14x25 but traded it in for the Sprint.

Here are my impressions of these boards:

Sprint 14x23:
On Sunday, I did a flatwater paddle of about 12km on my Sprint. I had my fastest average speed of any paddle over 7km in distance. I've been paddling my 14x23.5 Ace for 3 years now but the Sprint was faster than any of my previous sessions on my Ace. Plus, I'm not in great shape right now since I'm recovering from a shoulder injury. This is only my 6th paddle on the Sprint.

Sprint vs Ace:
In flat water, I found the Sprint accelerates effortlessly and faster compared to my Ace and I can maintain a higher speed with less work.

Last time I tested the Sprint vs the Ace in a very controlled test, the boards were identical in speed upwind and downwind. I think that was because there was some wind and chop - not much, maybe 10-12mph. Maybe that amount of wind and chop is the dividing line between the Sprint and the Ace. The Sprint would be faster in conditions flatter than that while the Ace would be faster in conditions rougher than that. If you're on the 25" wide Ace, the Sprint's speed advantage may extend into windier conditions.

I've also tried the Sprint on a mild downwinder. The Ace is quite a bit better at catching bumps and gliding than the Sprint is. The Ace is also quite a bit more stable in the bumps, even the 23.5" wide Ace.

The Sprint is tricky to pivot turn since your back foot gets squeezed between the narrowing side walls. To turn it quickly, my back foot was jammed in as far back as it could go. It also gets a bit tippy since there's not much volume in the back half of the board. However, with some practice, it can be learned.  The cross-bow draw which works well on the Ace is much slower on the Sprint. You have to sink the tail and stroke on the outside to turn the Sprint fast.

In summary, the Sprint is the flatwater speed champ (for paddlers below a certain weight - not sure what that but likely at least 180lbs) while the Ace remains the downwinder and chop champ for winds 12-25mph.

All Star:
The All Star would be best for most people if you could have just 1 board. It downwinds better than the Sprint but not as well as the Ace. I think the 14x25 2015 All Star is a bit faster than the 14x25 Ace in flat water based on some user reports with GPS results (although I'm pretty sure the Ace would be faster in chop). The All Star is also the easiest to pivot turn and surf by far.

My ratings ranked in order:
Flat water speed: Sprint, All Star just a touch faster than 25" wide Ace
BOP style races (pivot turns and surfing): All Star, Ace/Sprint
Downwind speed: Ace, All Star, Sprint
Mixed chop: Ace, All Star, Sprint
Stability: All Star, Ace, Sprint

Personally, if I had to choose just 1 board, it would be the 14x23.5 Ace hands down. I love that board.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:50:04 PM by Argosi »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard All Star vs Ace vs Sprint - Review
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
I hear good things about the Ace on downwinders but I just don't know if I would like the cut out decks.

The Allstars look a lot of fun to me...surf ability and a bit if speed.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »
Argosi,

That concurs with what I see, the guys who have a similar collection of boards bring out their Sprints when its glassy. But as soon as there is any form of chop its ACE all the way.

The one condition you missed was Upwind, the ACE the choice there is ACE, ACE and ACE there's just nothing that can touch it

I've got the same collection of ACE you have (down to the year) and a custom 26" DC (similar to the Pro NSP/DC)  and like you the 14x23.5" is my go to board even at 220 and 6" with average balance

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »
Argosi,

That concurs with what I see, the guys who have a similar collection of boards bring out their Sprints when its glassy. But as soon as there is any form of chop its ACE all the way.

The one condition you missed was Upwind, the ACE the choice there is ACE, ACE and ACE there's just nothing that can touch it

I've got the same collection of ACE you have (down to the year) and a custom 26" DC (similar to the Pro NSP/DC)  and like you the 14x23.5" is my go to board even at 220 and 6" with average balance

Yes, the Ace flies upwind. I left that out because I didn't have enough experience on the 2015 All Star in upwind conditions to compare them.

I've paddled plenty of other sharp nosed, low rocker boards upwind and find that the Ace's strategy of skimming over the upwind chop rather than piercing through it is faster.

Wow, you paddle the 23.5" ace at 220! Even in rough water and downwind?

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
Argosi,

Yes, the Ace flies upwind. I left that out because I didn't have enough experience on the 2015 All Star in upwind conditions to compare them.

I've paddled plenty of other sharp nosed, low rocker boards upwind and find that the Ace's strategy of skimming over the upwind chop rather than piercing through it is faster.

Wow, you paddle the 23.5" ace at 220! Even in rough water and downwind?

To be fair downbreeze is my limit on the 23. But I have had it in thigh high surf and feels it better than the 25"

When it gets big the wider boards come out.  At the moment the DC is my downwinding board although needs more rocker

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
Kaihoe, you must have great balance to ride the 14x23.5 Ace in thigh high bumps. I'm assuming it feels better than the 14x25 Ace since it's faster and catches bumps better. That's what I've noticed when comparing the 23.5 and 25" wide Ace boards.

I've never tried them but I've always liked the look of those NSP DC race boards. They have a lot of design similarities to the Ace. What do you find to be the main differences between the Ace and the NSP boards on the water? (in general, correcting for the different widths)

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »
Kaihoe, you must have great balance to ride the 14x23.5 Ace in thigh high bumps. I'm assuming it feels better than the 14x25 Ace since it's faster and catches bumps better. That's what I've noticed when comparing the 23.5 and 25" wide Ace boards.

I've never tried them but I've always liked the look of those NSP DC race boards. They have a lot of design similarities to the Ace. What do you find to be the main differences between the Ace and the NSP boards on the water? (in general, correcting for the different widths)

Not sure about balance, maybe just stubborn, I went for two swims yesterday (in winter).

My DC is a flat deck with a sunk standing area.  The biggest difference is the nose doesn't work as well as the ACE, I have to work a lot harder at trimming the board into swells and its prone to pearling when I'm downwinding. 

The really cool thing about the DC is going into smaller swells it almost hovers when you get it right.

The dugout DCs are a lot closer to the ACE.  The 24" has a really round bottom its a vary quick board and quite similar to the ACE. With the dugouts the taller nose does better into the swells and tends to rid them more like an ACE but slices in a bit deeper.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal