Author Topic: who is riding a kings board  (Read 6452 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
who is riding a kings board
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »
Looking at new board options  Kings are the list as is the supports hammer and   fanatic
 question who is riding a kings super Simmons cross over or  lose and what do you think?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: who is riding a kings board
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
I had the opportunity to demo 2 of Mr. Big's Custom King's boards over the past few weeks. His 8'8 WCT and 8'4 Laser. Both boards slightly different but awesome boards. Probably caught my best left ever on close to head high waves on his 8'8 and found myself seriously enjoying the snappy maneuverability of his 8'4. Being a bit taller and bigger than Mr. Big, I custom ordered an 8'10 Laser directly from Dave. I am hoping to have the board delivered in a few weeks (fingers crossed on a quick turnaround).

Here are the spec's
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »
I have had four boards shaped by the Dauminator.

A 7'11" x 31.25 x 4.4" x 117 liters Laser.

B. 10' x 31.5" x 4" x 123 liters Crocodile Noserider.

C. 8'8" x 30.75" x 4.25" x 127 liters WCT.

D. 8'4" x 31.25" x 4.25" 115 liters Laser CB3.

All different and all excellent. Dave will work with you to create what you want and need. Even put a stringer in the 8'8" "Ocean Beach Special". Our winter waves on the Cape are gnarly, I said think Ocean Beach to Dave and whomp there it was!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
I haven't ridden a Kings yet but everyone I've looked at has been beautifully shaped and glassed. They just look like a board that's meant to be surfed that and that was shaped by a good surfer that understands design - and Dave Daum is both. I'm going to get in there and demo their 8-5 Laser. For production boards, I tried a JP Australia recently and the finish and quality of construction was excellent. JP's seem to be rare on the west coast though. The quality of Laird's new boards is super high too.

Looking at new board options  Kings are the list as is the supports hammer and   fanatic
 question who is riding a kings super Simmons cross over or  lose and what do you think?

How much do you weigh and how did the 8-4 Laser feel when you paddled it? Was it glassy or choppy the day you surfed it?

I had the opportunity to demo 2 of Mr. Big's Custom King's boards over the past few weeks. His 8'8 WCT and 8'4 Laser. Both boards slightly different but awesome boards. Probably caught my best left ever on close to head high waves on his 8'8 and found myself seriously enjoying the snappy maneuverability of his 8'4. Being a bit taller and bigger than Mr. Big, I custom ordered an 8'10 Laser directly from Dave. I am hoping to have the board delivered in a few weeks (fingers crossed on a quick turnaround).

Here are the spec's
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
A bit tangential to this conversation, but I just got a King's 14 raceboard and am totally stoked on it.  Amazing design and craftsmanship.  Dave D knows what he's doing!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Magentawave, I'm 180 and the 8'4 Laser was surprisingly stable when I tried it out, water was glassy one day and slight side chop another day. Board was easy to paddle and tracked pretty straight for a short board. With me on it the water was up to the higher aides of the rails so about 75% submerged. Dropping in late was super easy and the board flies down the line.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
Thanks. What was your reason for ordering an 8-10 Laser? Is it because you wanted the board to be thinner and/or narrower than the 8-4 you tried?

Magentawave, I'm 180 and the 8'4 Laser was surprisingly stable when I tried it out, water was glassy one day and slight side chop another day. Board was easy to paddle and tracked pretty straight for a short board. With me on it the water was up to the higher aides of the rails so about 75% submerged. Dropping in late was super easy and the board flies down the line.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
My 8'2 and 7'8 are both "mutt" as both are based on the Sidewinder/Laser/WCT template.  The 8'2 is pretty much an all-around fun board from knee to head high and glassy to choppy condition.  The 7'8, being narrower and with thinner rail, is a performance specific board for faster beach break waves.  The 7'8 is a "handful" in choppy waves.

Me ... 145lbs soaking wet.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
Magentawave, I went 8'10 as i wanted the additional volume figuring I'd wear a 6/5 wetsuit come winter so the extra length gave the the liters without having to go thicker and wider.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 05:36:37 PM »
My 8'8" is for winter and heavy suits. As Derek discovered it is slightly less stable when paddling than my 8'4".

This is due to the entry convex belly in the nose which makes it more stable after you catch a wave as it is not upset by chop and motion in the ocean. Also a "mutt" like ratbeach boards, but with a pinch more wct than the 8'4".

The 8'4" is faster, looser, and more stable while paddling as the entry belly is vestigial
 and the initial single concave is shallower and wider.

The beauty of working with someone as skilled as Dave Daum is that you get to discuss and work out these little details that make the board what you want and need!

I am 67, weigh 143 (post SCA), and am 5'7".

My "special needs" were, and still are, in the area of balance. Most of my boards are always a little wider than average. Don't need volume or thickness.. 8)  8)  8)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:43:42 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
Well -- Don't judge what I say, as I only know how to ride the board I got -

My 8'4" x 30" 4.?? x 110l Crossover suits me just fine at a scrawny 135#, 5'10", 56 in a few weeks.

4 sessions within the last week: sloppy thigh, a$$ kicking fantastic wast+/Chest, decent thigh/waist and fun knee+ this morning.  For me, an all conditions board.

4 fins came out of the box and that's what I've ridden ever since.  My first love, a Lopez 9-5 at 135l sits on the rack untouched.

A young guy had a sub-8'er Simmons style up at CG today which Matt sold him.  Although shorter, more volume.

I love it.

RC

Glider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
The only thing better than the quality of a Kings Sup is the integrity and humbleness of the whole crew building them....I have been riding waves over 50 years and had some great boards from master shapers (Bruce Jones / Doug Haut / Shawn Stussy / Robert August / Mike Minchington / Jimmy Lewis / and more) ...but my experience with Dave has been the best.....He is a second generation master shaper and most people don't realize his experience goes all the way back to the late 70's shaping the Bronzed Aussie boards for Peter Townend and Ian Cairns.....he is one of the most open minded shapers I have ever worked with ....building what you want...not what he wants to shape....I ride larger boards than most people and he has built me two beauties  .... a 10'4" semi gun....and a 9'4" swallow tail fishey that will warm the heart of every old surfer from the 70's....Buy American......and support your local shaper....whoever you choose
Hobie 14' Elite - 12'6" Kings Downwinder - 11' Foote Noserider - 10'4" King's Crossover - 9'4"" Kings Laser

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
A bit tangential to this conversation, but I just got a King's 14 raceboard and am totally stoked on it.  Amazing design and craftsmanship.  Dave D knows what he's doing!

I have A Kings 14' Carbon Board....with the AC nose (america's cup) or wave piercing...Its Awesome!!  of course I mostly Flatwater with it....But its a Joy to paddle .....my favorite so far.
Mark
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
Just got this sweet Custom Laser last night

8'10x31x4.25   125.5L

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
Nice board! When do I get to borrow it for a week or two? ;)

Do you know what the glass schedule is on it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal