Author Topic: New member - hoping for advice  (Read 7726 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New member - hoping for advice
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »
Saku, any of the things you want to do are possible. If you want to prone surf, take prone surfing lessons. If you just want to SUP surf, it's possible to learn that without prone surfing (that's what I did), though it's easier if you at least learn the basics of paddling a SUP on flatwater (lakes, gentle rivers, protected bays or really calm days on the ocean).

It sounds like you already have a healthy respect for the ocean, so just use common sense and you'll stay out of trouble... pay attention to weather forecasts, don't paddle hard with the wind and then be unable to get back against the wind, be careful of strong currents and surf, always wear a leash and PFD (probably no PFD when surfing), paddle with someone or at least let them know where you're going, etc. The surf is the most dangerous area, and where you'd most benefit from some lessons. The most important tip I got when learning to SUP surf was never let your board get between you and the incoming waves, even if they're pretty small. It's amazing how much power they pack and can transfer to a big SUP.

If you have access to some flatwater, though, I recommend just getting a SUP and going out on a calm day. Watch a youtube video or two on stroke technique and then have at it. It's fun, and pretty easy too!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
Am I the only one that smells a troll?     

clever pronies trying to infiltrate stick land message board with kook spray...

What do trolls smell like? ....... :o

It would be upsetting if the picture in my mind of a young mild mannered Japanese/American woman with an interest in bonsai and now SUP is actually a chubby grey haired but ponytailed angry longboarder living in a trailer.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:33:16 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
Am I the only one that smells a troll?     

clever pronies trying to infiltrate stick land message board with kook spray...

What do trolls smell like? ....... :o

It would be upsetting if the picture in my mind of a young mild mannered Japanese/American woman with an interest in bonsai and now SUP is actually a chubby grey haired but ponytailed angry longboarder living in a trailer.... ;)
Most of the chubby grey haired longboarders I know, live in either old vans or old motorhomes. They have to be able to move from their day use spot at the beach to the Walmart parking lot at night. Come to think of it, one of them has a trailer mounted on top of an old Cadillac. So he technically does live in a trailer. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Sakutama

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
Yikes I didn't mean to sound like a troll! That's a first. Sorry guys!

If it helps, I could write up a little more about myself. Im 29 years old, and I do have grey hairs already, but that runs in the family. lol I'm from KC, Missouri. I grew up there all my life. 5 years ago I met my husband online, he is Japanese. We talked for a year. I decided life is short, take a chance, and moved to Japan to be with him. We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary this year.

Recently, I've been focusing on improving my health. I grew up overweight, and while I feel comfortable dieting now, exercise has been the most challenging. Like many people, I hate it! I've been trying to overcome that, I'm convinced the key is to have fun. I thought taking up hula dancing would be a good baby step, but I ended up falling in love with Hawaiian culture as a result. Not complaining! After getting a good swim in the ocean last weekend, the idea to try surfing sparked, and here I am learning everything I can so I don't go in completely clueless.

You guys are absolutely wonderful, I can't say that enough! I feel more confident to give it a try now, I was really downhearted and convinced myself I don't belong in the surf because of the reasons I wrote in my original post. But I'm willing to learn, try my best, and most importantly - have fun!

When I can get a lesson in, or make some progress whether it be SUP or prone surfing, I'll be sure to share an update. It'll depend on what I can find and how much money I'll need to get started.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
Don't pay any attention to us ::)
You go girl! We need more of your type around here. At least that's what ADMIN tells us. There are a few zoners who live and surf in Japan. You might find the hook-up you need to follow your dreams of eventually surfing. Hold on to that dream. It will lead to some great times, and a life time addiction to looking at the surf report every morning :)

You might want to start a thread called ' Looking for other zoners in Japan'.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:36:43 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
I've been reasonably active all my life, but I also started several companies and worked the crazy hours that being an entrepreneur requires. If you saw a picture of me 10 years ago you'd say "old fat guy." I started SUP about the same time I started backing off from working 14 hours a day. I'm still heavy--I like to cook and eat too much--but I'm more fit now than I was when I was 40, and I'm 68. If you want to do it, just keep pushing at it. But do learn to swim well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sakutama

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:31 AM »
Thanks guys! Glad I'm not looking like a troll after all.  :)

I think I'm finally making some progress, finally found a school that looks like a good fit for me! But it's 3 hours away (like all of the schools), so I need to see if that's even possible with my work schedule. Probably not sadly, but maybe when my hours calm down a bit. I'm working extra at the moment to save up for that trip to Hawaii next year.

As a plan B, maybe I can save up for an inflatable SUP board and hit a local lake to work on my balance and paddling like you guys suggested. I'm also thinking of dropping the hint that I'm interested in surfing at my hula school...who knows? Maybe one of my hula friends can also be my surfing buddy! Here's hoping!

Worst case, I'll research getting a surfing lesson when I'm in Hawaii so at least I'll have the experience. Then when the trip is finished, my hours should be calming down and I can look into that school I found.

It's heartbreaking when reality sets in, especially when your really exited to just do it!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:03 AM »
Loving the stoke. I hope you still like bonsai..... :)

This has changed my life. Have fun, be safe. Welcome to the zone. You came to the right place.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
Hey Sakutama! I just wanted to say that I'm just learning to SUP right now, my background is a little different than yours (lifelong surfer.) I wanted to tell you there are great videos on youtube by BluePlanetSurf, StandUpPaddlingTV, and others. I'll google a couple for you... I really like the first one's style and cool attitude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wnMwnWMXs there are a bunch more by them, I think I watched them all a few times. The second one is really cool also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7bbcfTAkA  I've had many friends and watched people start surfing and I've seen many that could have, but didn't cause they were put off by the shiny bronzed people and tribelike culture. The SUP is a great idea, way easier than surfing and you can progress into waves. If you try boogie-boarding like some people suggested (great idea) I'd recommend starting in water maybe only a little more than waist-deep and just jumping into a few waves, you'll see the little kids doing it. When you move past that and try to paddle it, please use swimfins also. The most common mistake, performance and safety-wise is beginners trying to hand-paddle a 3 ft. board. Experienced surfers work really hard to paddle sub-6ft. surfboards, so a beginner paddling a 3ft. bodyboard with only hands puts you at a huge disadvantage. If you want to read any of my learning odyssey here's my first and only thread, so far. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27996.0.html   Have fun. Love for the ocean is what it's all about.
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal