Author Topic: New member - hoping for advice  (Read 7728 times)

Sakutama

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New member - hoping for advice
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some friendly advice here. I'm interested in SUP, but I am in need of a reality check. I'm not completely sure what I'm getting myself into. I'm 29 years old, not athletic at all (couch potato), a basic swimmer (can keep myself afloat at least), and have very little experience with the ocean. I grew up in the Midwest USA, and my family never traveled to the ocean. As an adult, I'm sure I only visited the ocean under 10 times, only two of those times I actually went swimming. I really regret not being more pro-active getting back to the ocean. I really want to get in better shape, and have fun doing it. Even if it takes baby steps.

But as much as I love the ocean, I know it has a deadly side. That's always been a fear in the back of my mind when considering any sports on the ocean. I'm really not a thrill seeker at all. Also, I get sunburn extremely easily, and don't tan. If I did any kind of water sports, I would need to wear cover. I'm not even sure if such a thing exists for water.

That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is I'm absolutely enchanted by the ocean! It's so magical going swimming there, I treasure ever second I have had in the ocean. I'm also learning hula dancing - this just adds fuel to the fire because of how much the ocean is in Hawaiian culture. And surfing is certainly part of the culture too! They're even hula dances for surfers.

Anyway back on topic - I'm usually a very optimistic person. But since I am not athetic at all, and have very little ocean experience, I feel like a completely nut for even thinking I can surf! I felt a lot better when I discovered SUP, I thought, maybe I could at least manage calm water, maybe a few baby waves.

But there are surfing classes for young and old alike, so it's possible I'm really overthinking it. I would love to hear some advice from experienced SUP and surfing folks here. Could someone like me learn and enjoy SUP and possibly regular surfing down the road. Or should I back out now? Would it be more realistic for me to stick with SUP?

I'm completely new, so if I said anything stupid out of ignorance, I'm sorry! I hope I won't step on any toes with my first post here. Thank you!

bikersurferboater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New member - hoping for advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
 First off, you are most of the way there. You love the ocean and want to spend more time in it. Baby steps. Even swimming around in the salt water will make you more comfortable with the rhythyms and pulses of waves and currents.

Just playing in fresh water will also make you more comfortable. As long as you come out of the water with a smile on your face, you are winning.

Avoiding sunburn has never been easier. First point is get out in the early morning or late evening to avoid the strongest rays. Sunscreens are magnificent these days and you can cover yourself up almost completely with a hat, long sleeve shirt and even leggings. A friend of ours dresses like "Black Death" and looks like the grim reaper covered head to toe in black rashguard, pants, and hat but he is still out there surfing at close to 70. ANy surf shop or online retailer for surf and/or paddle gear will have everything you need. (The whitewater online retailers have some great stuff).

Technique wise... Do not overthink it. Time on the water. Time on the water. Time on the water.  A few good lessons, read up on technique and even take some classes where you can meet people to paddle with will keep you going. Just being around a better paddler can improve your paddling immensely just by trying to copy what they do. Once again, time on the water.

Have fun!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »
Welcome to the zone. Start paddling in your pool, a pond, or even your neighbors pool if you have to...... Just start paddling. The surf well come to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Here's your answer for protecting your skin from sun exposure in watersports.  I bought a hat from this operation and it's good stuff: www.sunprotectionzone.com  They make shirts and numerous other articles of clothing that block UV. 

Get yourself a big, stable beginner board, take it to some flat water and give it a go.  That level of the sport is quite easy and extremely fun.  You will be hooked...I know I am.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:51:54 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »
The normal progression for a good many of us that surf is
swim in the ocean
body surf
boogie board
prone surf
sup
You can skip body surfing through prone surfing but there are many things you learn by doing those that can make sup surfing easier and safer.  If your plan is to sup surf only, you can skip the prone part, (my wife did this, but she was a solid body surfer and boogie boarder before taking sup, so she understood how to get out of the whitewater washing machine).

Learning to stand and move the stand up board around is all about time on water, as the other posters have said.  Watch the guys catching waves easy and imitate them.  You'll get everything in time.  I tell friends I've helped that it takes about 10 times for most folks to feel a solid comfort level. 

It sounds like you're on the islands now.  Good start. I'm a bit jealous.  Good luck and stay safe.

Sakutama

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Hi everyone! Thank you SO much for your encouragement! I'm feeling great about everything now! I still worry about the dangers of the ocean , as much as I adore it. But I looked through some posts here, and it looks like SUP and surfing in general is a lot safer than many things...I guess the news stories are good at building up worry over time. Especially something you've never done.

I found a surf shop near where I work, it's a bit of an extra walk, but I'm going to plan a day to check it out. I'm really exited! I'll need to save up for the gear though, and I'll probably need to get an inflatable SUP due to space because our apartment is small, we don't own a car, and primarily get around by train, bike or walking.

Unfortunately I'm not on the islands, I'm actually on the other island, in Japan! I'm originally from the U.S. though. Hula dancing is EXTREEMLY popular here, and anything Hawaiian in general. So naturally, there are a lot of hula schools. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese have already fully embraced SUP as much as they have surfing from what I've seen so far.

I'm so so so relieved there is already gear to protect myself from the sun! Last weekend I was swimming in the ocean, that's where the idea to do surfing (later discovering SUP) sparked. I applied a generous amount of very strong sun screen, twice. Still got burned, but luckily it didn't hurt, so the cream prevented the worst it seems. Just as I do on land, I find it much easier and more effective to wear sun protection clothing than sun screen.

Now the challenge will be saving up for gear and/or finding lessons. My Japanese is, em, passable. But for something where safety is really important, I might want to find lessons in English. Maybe I can find a woman's SUP group to join, always up for making new friends!

I do hope to plan a trip to Hawaii in the future, it will be my first time ever visiting there. I hope I'll be able to do some SUPing while I'm there, need to research where to go. I hope I don't tick off any surfers, I hear they can get easily ticked off at newbies who are at the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope that never happens, and I can learn where to go or not go so I don't step on any toes as a newbie. Would be awful to have bad experience ruin an fun time.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
Both Xcel & Victory Kore Dry make great clothing for sun protection & paddling.
These are two that I know.  There may be others nearby.  Look these two up, then broaden your search.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
Me too Saku - Wisconsin. Surfing was movies and magazines in the 60's..  From what little I can tell, from 40,000km away, Japan is probably a great place to get in the water.  Get some Blue Lizard sunscreen (from OZ) and a long sleeve rash guard ..hat with chinstrap is not too dorky.

I would echo SJ - get a slick-bottom Boogie Board and a wrist leash. You may get your sinuses washed out a bit - but you'll never fall on anything ..or have it falling on you.  Just hold on like a crazy person and let the boogie board take any abuse.  You'll end up with tons of grins on your evening noodles.  After getting tossed around a bit ..and discovering it's not fatal ..then maybe find something to 'stand on'.

About all I know about Japan comes from this informative surf site:  http://alohaki.jugem.jp   

Get Wet - Have fun.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Sakutama

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
Thank you again! I'm checking everything out that you guys are suggesting and hashing out a game plan to get started. It's possible I might have to wait until next summer to start in earnest though, although I might be able to squeeze in swimming with a rented boogie board next month if I can talk my husband into it. Or I guess I could go alone, but it would be nice to have someone I know with me to make sure I'm still above the water! Haha. I saw boogie boards for rent at the beach we went to last weekend, but didn't have the idea to try surfing until we were already just swimming and jumping in the waves. Managed to have a great time just doing that though!

I do have a new question though - how do you practice off-season when you're not on the islands with wonderful year-round weather?

Unless I fly down to Okinawa, winters are mildly cold here and beaches will be closed by September. I live in Saitama, near Tokyo/Chiba/Kanagwa  if anyone is familiar with the area prefectures. Would love to get some practice in every month as a starter goal. I don't know anyone with a pool, and I'll look into it, but I'm not too hopeful the local public pools will allow any accessories in ther pools.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:58:08 PM by Sakutama »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
saku  dude hang ten!!!   I wear a spring suit  it has long legs short sleeves   sometimes a hat always good zinc based sunscreen,   Have respect for the ocean never turn your back on it no matter how comfortable you get  and learn your limits as far as size of waves go.  start small  feel the wave under you feel the currents in the chop and wind swell.  it is a magical thing.  and always always  be on the lookout for an OUTSIDE  Wave  one that breaks much further out  form the them  rest of the waves.  learn the rules of the sport and the proper etiquette .   
 let  the ocean teach you.   
 things like patience  while you wait for a wave    persistence while you paddle out know your limits respect for the sea and on and on. I have always told my kids that everything you need to know in life is in the oceans   and the cocoon will teach  these things.

think of it is this way  right now you are timid maybe little unsure  after a week in  in the ocean  where will you be  after a month  after 1 year 5 years 50 years.
you will see wild life, experience triumph and failure , peace  and calm ,  fear and bravery, you will   do things you did not know you could  and advance   

Learn the moods of the ocean and what a surf check is , learn how  to spot a rip tide.    begged to you equipment   your  life ma depend  upon it.   and never ever  go charging straight  out with know wha you are charging into. Is it a big swell 10 foot plus and just  between sets  or is it 1 to 2  feet and pretty calm .    but most of all  HAVE FUN that is the point.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
there are pictures in an old sup magazine of a standup paddler  paddling down a river in japan  with snow on the ground, it looks incredibly peaceful
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »
Welcome to the world of SUP.  One of the great things about it is you don't even have to use it as a form of surfing at all and at the very basic you don't really need to be "athletic".  Hell, you don't even need an ocean.  That being said, if you do want to dabble into the surfing aspect you REALLY need to think about what you're getting into.  If you have no surfing experience and don't know a lot of people who DO surf you will be in for a very rude awakening if you were to just take your board and paddle into a surf line up.  If you are not aware, that is a LOT of hostility aimed at SUP surfers from the prone surf world.  Even experienced and talented SUP surfers who come from a longtime prone background get enough flak.  Being a novice transplant from the Midwest or any other land locked area will not be a saving grace.  In fact it could add to the animosity.  I highly recommend you learn to prone surf and get proficient at it and get fully dialed in on surf etiquette before paddle your SUP board into the surf zone.   Even though you are already on your feet, controlling a high volume SUP surfboard is very different from a regular surfboard, even if it's a high volume longboard.  In the meantime you can enjoy flat water paddles as a form of exercise.  That's my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:58:00 PM by surf4food »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
As Wetstuff said, I'd get in touch with this guy, or at least read his website from start to finish. wonderful stuff and some of the best instruction I've seen.

http://alohaki.jugem.jp/  It's not for SUP, it's for longboarding, but I bet the guy SUPs as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Are there any flatwater venues near you where you could take a SUP board?  Lake, lagoon, harbor, bay, etc? 

Few will argue that the easiest way to learn to SUP is on nice, calm waters.  If you learn your foundation skills there, you'll be much better equipped to take it to the ocean when you feel ready. 

Flatwater & ocean SUP - especially surfing - are basically two different sports.  But, all the skills from flatwater are required to succeed in the ocean.  Learn to paddle before you try learning to paddle through, beyond, or in the surf.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
Am I the only one that smells a troll?     

clever pronies trying to infiltrate stick land message board with kook spray... 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal