Author Topic: How to overcome a week and a half with no paddling before a race.  (Read 3976 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've had a pretty good season so far. I raced last weekend at the Challenge on the Charles race in Boston which was a 4 mile sprint. I was super excited about getting 5th place. Now I'm planning to participate in 2 more races. The next one is a 6 mile race and the second one is a 9 miler. Those two races are a week apart. My problem is that I'm going on a business trip to Switzerland and Germany for a week and a half so I won't be able to practice during that time. I'll be back about a week before the first race. Does anyone have some good ideas how to at least keep up my current race shape without any actual paddling? I figured I'll practice for the 6 miler till I leave but what do you guys think I should/can do while on the trip?

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: How to overcome a week and a half with no paddling before a race.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
I travel a lot and have same dilemma. If I can't take an iSUP with me I'll hit the gym or run. I think doing any sustained exercise preferably at similar Heart rate for similar duration works well. Bike, run, hike, swim, eliptical machine. Things I don't do are things that might hurt me like a rowing machine. I find SUP fitness makes you feel in great shape and if I try something else like rowing which I don't normally do, I overdo it and regret it.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
Make many burpees. Is a good full body workout for fitness and strength.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:34:08 AM »
Why is rowing bad? I'm asking because it's a part of my regular workout.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
Make many burpees. Is a good full body workout for fitness and strength.

Completely agree. Stretch. 25 burpees followed by a 25 minute run and then another 25 burpees does wonders for you.

Why is rowing bad? I'm asking because it's a part of my regular workout.

I used to use a rowing machine in the gym regularly and it was no issue. My point is because I get 90% of my exercise from SUP now I rarely enter a gym, and when I do, because I feel super fit I look at that rowing machine like an old friend and think, "Let me show you what I can do now", overdo it and end up with aches and pains. Usually this means a trip to the Physio and she asks me what I have been doing differently, tells me off, gets me doing Pilates and I feel myself slipping back into an earlier more sedentary life.... So no rowing machines for me. Same for Surfskiing. Did it once in downwind conditions and had a great time going for it and of course ended up again in the Physio with shoulder pain... It's not the actual activity, it's me overdoing things I don't normally do at my age (53+). I just need to learn to start any new thing slowly and build up.

The lesson here for me is I'm SUP fit and want to stay that way and so I just need to avoid things that will potentially injure me that will affect my ability to SUP.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:58:44 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
Dave Kalama has some useful suggestions:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1918216/dave-kalamas-five-exercises-every-athlete

Combine those with some aerobic exercise like swimming or running should do the trick. You aren't going to lose much in a week anyway: you might even find that a week of rest means you improve: Most amateur athletes don't leave sufficient recovery time. When you look at the training schedules of Olympic track athletes for example, it's striking how little they actually do. Most of their time is spent on recovery (including things like ice baths and massages etc) and superb nutrition. I find that a lot of the loss that happens when I am away from home occurs because it is hard to eat very healthily (and get enough sleep) when you are away from home. So maybe you should make resting and great nutrition a goal for your trip away, as much as - or instead of - exercising.

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
What Area10 said. Perfect. Hit the recovery hard and come back with the eye of the tiger.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »
Hey guys! Thank you for all the tips. I'm sure I would have done better in the race on Saturday if I would have done some of the exercises. Unfortunately the weather in Europe was extremely hot so the only excercise I was doing were biceps curls with a nice cold German beer in my hand  ;D. I paid the price for that at the race last Saturday. Only made the 14th place at the Newport SUP cup. Still had a ton of fun and in the end that's what it's all about.

Rob
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:33:55 AM »
Would have loved to go for a paddle on this lake in Switzerland but didn't have the time as I had to travel to my next destination.
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
Foilman. I thought of your post as a week ago I realised we have our first international race here in Hong Kong in 2 weeks and I'd signed up for the 8km / 5 mile. I set myself some good 1 hour type exercises to do during the week but found that work commitments kept me from the water, the road and the gym. I missed a training paddle on Saturday and so have paddled once yesterday where I did an 8km in a surprisingly fast time (for me)... So perhaps the rest worked, I think to myself. I'm sure another week of rest won't work though.. So with 6 days to go I'm wondering what I should do...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal