Author Topic: And another event bites the dust  (Read 9056 times)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: And another event bites the dust
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »
I'm going to chime in here and talk about how we have evolved our races over the past few years.

We started with a simple time trial format, about 4.5 miles, same course every weekend all summer long.  Weather and tide differences every week kept it interesting, as well as seeing your personal times drop a little every week as you got better and more comfortable with the course.  Grand prize was a race board, which went to the fastest racer. 
Problem 1 was that after a couple weeks almost everyone realized they were out of the running for the grand prize, so basically they are showing up just for the fun.  Problem 2 was that for beginner paddlers, the course was a little too challenging and sometimes not what most people think of as fun.

This year we changed some things up, and its been going great. 
Every week the course changes, so the time trial format goes out the window.  We still have an awesome board as the grand prize (SIC x-14 Pro).  Each time you complete the course for that day, you earn a token.  Even if you are dead last.  At the end of the year we draw a random token from all those earned, and that person wins the grand prize.  Problem 1 solved!
Also, since we aren't doing time trials, we can change the length of the courses.  Week 1 we go short (2.5 miles?), week 2 we go 4.5 miles, week 3 we go 6.5 miles.  Then we rotate through that format all summer long.  So a beginner can choose to wait for a short course and not get all freaked out about spending 2.5 hours on the water.  We can also switch to relay formats on windier days, and stay close to the beach and get teams cheering for each other as they battle around an obstacle course of bouys…for example.  We are looking to procure some inflatable farm animals for our next relay race, which will involve the passing of livestock from one rider to another.  Stuff like that keeps it fun.  Problem 2 solved!

The greatest thing about a weekly race series is it builds a community.  That is the real challenge; to create a group of people who are invested in the sport week in week out.  One off races are a little like one night stands.  They can be fun, but when its over its over. 

Raf

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »
Brilliant.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
I think A10 nails it. The events need more than just a race. The difficulty is in getting multiple things going on different levels with the limited # of volunteers available. That takes a lot of organization. Finding enough folks to run things is hard. I've talked more than a few times of either adding on to one of our existing events or doing another that was a massive demo day for vendors, with games going on all day on and near the water, food trucks, etc. I think I even used the term festival of SUP. We've kept adding to the things for folks to do at Mayo beach while the family/friends/spectators are waiting for the CCBC paddlers to arrive. Maybe we just need to up the games there. I'm going to be onshore this year. Might be a good year to test some out.

That's a great direction for the CCBC as an organization, but the Crossing isn't the ideal event for it. Sure, it makes sense to try a few things this year at the beach, but who is going to be there? I know the community boathouse has some limits, but the COC is the place to organize a festival of SUP. Dead smack in downtown Boston, easy for large numbers of people to get to, a huge "stumble upon" factor and very containable water safety--send the newbs into the lagoon. As it is now the racing doesn't start until 3:00 PM and the after party rocks. Expand the vendor and demo signup to the area outside the docks.

I'm kind of amazed that the CCBC and the COC in particular doesn't have SUP companies crawling all over it. Penetrating into east coast metro areas and demonstrating the fun and versatility of SUP is an important marketing element. And what's with no SUP shops having a presence? Companies like Big Winds and Gorge Performance run their own events, but grabbing onto a pre-made event like this with the potential for a big crowd of interested people cuts the cost and more important, the effort, to a much more attractive level. And it's a charity event, not a for-profit. That makes it much easier to get publicity and celebrities, both in the sport and from without.

Lot of work, but you've got great people in that Ohana. I'd recruit the heck out of the family members. And then maybe find a really good event company that focuses on nonprofits to manage the big pieces. Their contacts make things easier and the right ones have a good attitude about using volunteers. The cost could certainly be overcome by expansion of the event. It's a fantastic event, one of the best I've ever seen from the standpoint of venue, organization, stoke, and the cause. Being located 5 minutes from Christopher's haven. Wow, what an opportunity that is.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:04:42 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
It can go either way if the focus is lost.
Anybody going to the Van's U.S. Open surfing championships in Huntington Beach this week?
You might actually see some surfing, if you can take your eyes off of everything else that's going on there.  It's become more of a beach festival/party more than anything else, with many different sports going on at the same time, partying out of control being one of them.  It used to be cool, now I wouldn't go anywhere near that place, assuming that I could even reach it thru the masses.  Most people that go there now days have no interest in surfing what so ever I believe.
It takes a quiver to do that.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
It can go either way if the focus is lost.
Anybody going to the Van's U.S. Open surfing championships in Huntington Beach this week?
You might actually see some surfing, if you can take your eyes off of everything else that's going on there.  It's become more of a beach festival/party more than anything else, with many different sports going on at the same time, partying out of control being one of them.  It used to be cool, now I wouldn't go anywhere near that place, assuming that I could even reach it thru the masses.  Most people that go there now days have no interest in surfing what so ever I believe.

U.S. Open of Surfing is a douchebag shit show.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xo4NFRaS0     That being said, I don't think a SUP festival would ever get to this point. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
Agreed, the SUP community is an older crowd, with older ahem needs and desires.......... like MILFs as opposed to teenie boppers, just as an example.
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Please don't post videos like that. I just lost a substantial portion of my vocasomething, my vocal, my vobulation...  my words.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »
It's the competitive aspect of these events that turns people off.
That's actually a pretty funny comment about races, but you're right.

For me, racing was great early on, because going to races was a great way to meet other people doing standup, see all kinds of gear in one place (I'd never seen a race board until my first race), to see technique, etc.  Also, the challenge for me was just to finish, then to finish in the pack...There was also sort of a George Plimpton aspect of having the experience of racing against the best paddlers in the world.  You can't just go and get into a game with pro basketball players, or get on the track against Usain Bolt, but you can with SUP. 

Once you've done several races, a lot of those reasons for doing it drop off.  And if you're not in top shape, you can't even match your old performances.  And since conditions have so much impact on times, you can't really even use SUP races the way you can use pool swimming or track racing to accurately judge what shape you're in (which is also why I've never understood the reason people want to standardize SUP racing distances). 

I've been too busy to paddle a lot lately, so haven't been racing simply because I'm not is shape and have limited time to go to races.  If those weren't factors, I certainly would be entering races, because some of the local races are really great events, and fun apart from the competitive aspect as well.  But I still would probably be tapering off on how many I'd be entering, and I think that's pretty typical of people for people once they've done races for a few years.

And the ones I think a lot of people would drop off first would be ones that are expensive to enter, and where the focus is on the top racers.  It'll be interesting to see how Round the Rock is this year, because a lot of people seem to share my idea that it's expensive, and not a great experience if you're not a top finisher. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
Add the Payette River Games to the list...

http://www.supracer.com/payette-river-games-on-hold/

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
Add the Payette River Games to the list...

http://www.supracer.com/payette-river-games-on-hold/

That sucks majorly.  Hopefully they will get a sponsor to step up to the plate or at least someone else to put an event on in the very same spot as the article mentioned. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:46:38 PM by surf4food »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »
Won't happen. There's not enough there for a sponsor to step in, and the expectation is for big bucks for the pros. Not sustainable unless there's a clear return, and I can't see that. They won't get someone like Redbull to step in--not enough interest to fuel the brand, and the SUP companies are skinny margin. Might be a big deal for whoever owns a company like Naish, but not enough to go whacky with prize money and spread it our to a bunch of venues. My prediction is that the days of traveling pros are limited. It's never really made sense, it's only because it's new. People are willing to overspend on marketing to buy share. Once they realize how little that means, the well dries up.

Sorry, just how I see it. Really, how I've always seen it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

SUP407

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
And another event bites the dust
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
Won't happen. There's not enough there for a sponsor to step in, and the expectation is for big bucks for the pros. Not sustainable unless there's a clear return, and I can't see that. They won't get someone like Redbull to step in--not enough interest to fuel the brand, and the SUP companies are skinny margin. Might be a big deal for whoever owns a company like Naish, but not enough to go whacky with prize money and spread it our to a bunch of venues. My prediction is that the days of traveling pros are limited. It's never really made sense, it's only because it's new. People are willing to overspend on marketing to buy share. Once they realize how little that means, the well dries up.

Sorry, just how I see it. Really, how I've always seen it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Well said. From a marketing perspective (I was in marketing/advertising, as well), I have never understood how any sponsor generates any return at any of these races. Somebody will no doubt argue, "But it's great exposure!" Exposure doesn't pay the bills, though. Unless you are a Kardashian. And even then, exposure to people who don't have much money to spend (as a whole), is pretty pointless.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:15:25 AM by SUP407 »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »
It's probably been a bit destructive. The expectation is now set that the top athletes won't go unless there's big prize money. that makes sense when there's some lifestyle apparel company footing the bill--for them brand is everything. But a lifestyle clothing company won't be attracted to a sport that has no spectator appeal. Even tarted up with in and out through the surf and carnage a SUP race is rarely exciting. Surfing isn't that much better, but the branding benefited from bad boy stereotyping with an athletic twist. Even so it's a rocky road, but the connection to the actual sport is important.

SUP hasn't got any of the attributes that suggest sponsors will be attracted to events other than simply being part of the sport. No traction.

Transitioning to events like raf describes, and events like the Challenge On the Charles but with a bigger demo and SUP vendor component might be more constructive for the sport, and useful for the manufacturers and potential sponsors. It's still hard to connect the dots between participating in an event, or sponsoring it, and seeing any revenue. People but the sup they choose where they want to buy it. SUP shops would have to be a lot better marketers than what i usually see to really benefit. the only shop I've seen that comes close to the kind of followup that necessary is Big Winds, and even they leave a lot on the table. None of the shops have a leads to sales process that I've seen. they're just not marketers. I've heard all the excuses, but I get monthly emails from several small hotels I've stayed in that probably have a marketing staff of the owner and his dog. Probably takes a couple of hours a month to manage the web service that does the email. Probably doubles the occupancy rate off-season. Maybe more. Marketing is cumulative. People stop doing it before it has a chance to work.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:47:35 AM by PonoBill »

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
While SUP is a very new sport it's not the only one struggling to keep events alive. I thought this a interesting article on one of the most iconic tracks in America.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/120221-pruett-the-bewildering-battle-for-laguna-seca

Plus some followup news:

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/121503-industry-isc-declines-mazda-raceway-laguna-seca-management-opportunity

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »
That's a lot more a matter of the selfish bastards who live close to the track and local Monterey politics. I just don't understand how people can move next to a race track and then get their panties in a bunch about noise. Especially since there are few night events--it's never been used as a dragstrip. the noise, even from Indy or F1 events, is actually pretty limited. The only time you can really hear much is when cloud cover bounces the noise out of the bowl.

The kind of events they can hold are so limited that the moneymakers are gone from the calendar. I've raced there many times, great track, great facilities around it. The place will take a substantial economic hit if it closes, but the wealthy retirees could probably give a crap. It would cut the legs out from under all the vintage stuff that surrounds the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal