Author Topic: kicking out poll  (Read 7003 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: kicking out poll
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 07:32:38 AM »
A high speed, last second kick out, barely averting a heavy closeout can be just as exciting as the surfing itself. The longer you wait to do it, the more important it is to stick it and get your 2 to 3 key strokes in before the next one comes. I enjoy the small bit of hang time I get in the air as I float down the back of the wave and switch my feet. If I stay in surf stance too long after the speed is gone, it gets squirrely.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
The big gracefulness factor comes at the end of the ride. A good sus transitions to paddling gracefully. A good proner always goes down after the kick out. Which looks better?

Work on graceful kick outs at the end of the wave. I like to kick out in the whitewater by bottom turning under it and going over the top. I use my paddle for balance and way. It takes time to be consistent. I also like to work the wave until its over. No point in missing sections that mother nature provided. It is also considered rude to not ride it the whole way. With crowded lineups you need to make every section count.

You get it - that wave came a long way to give you the pleasure of a nice glide so ride that energy bundle as long as you can and kick out gracefully. Only time I do a quick kick out is when it's heavy closeouts and a difficult paddle back out. Always stand & paddle back out unless I'm beat up or need to stretch or cool off.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
I guess i should explain. I like to ride until it closes out then  its a last second kick out oftenest as the  green part of the wave ceases to exist.   I almost always ride  the wave as far as i  can go  so I  am often in  pretty shallow water over a rock reef the rolly polly  pot hole kind.    when I am on  I make these most of the  the time when I am off  I fall off all the time  My hair is wet pretty  much from the first wave on.   I am going to try using the  paddle on the kick  out  anyone got any videos of this.... 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
Sometimes (read: often) I'm too tired to kick out and opt for a few seconds of recovery off my feet.  I can do it, but just need the momentary break.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
I'm probably at 75% dry.  I've gone a couple sessions totally dry and I've had some where I'm wet more than dry.  I know it's good when I've got velocity over the top and it carries to the paddle out.  In the heat of the summer, I'm more likely to do something I'm not good at in the thick of things, just to cool off.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
Got to love a nice back side kick out on a punchy wave were you flying down the line kick out straight up the face get a little slap from lip in your face the a little air and kinda land in a contorted lunge style position, as said almost as fun as the wave it's self, then there are the times you leave it a fraction of a second to late and get a proper smack down so quick you don't get time to blink :)

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Two fun ways out.

#1 - use the kick-out as a great time to max a turn.... just lay out the hardest, most gouging turn up and around.... you learn from that, just how far you can push a turn and what a true laydown gouge feels like.... you can use that feeling to up your game in turns. It's a no- lose way to push the envelope.

#2 - High speed exit. Big swooping turn, without scrubbing speed. Use your knees to ride over the crest, so you don't slow down..... use the speed to give you super stability as well as a great start getting back outside. (pics 1 & 2)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:46 AM »
My kick outs are usually successful. I avoid closeouts and whitewater at all costs. Whitewater is a huge waste of time and energy.

The kick out is a very important maneuver to know for those rare occasions when you find yourself on someone else's wave. You need to be able to get off the wave quickly without falling or you will be seen as a kook.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:47:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
My kick outs are usually successful. I avoid closeouts and whitewater at all costs. Whitewater is a huge waste of time and energy.

The kick out is a very important maneuver to know for those rare occasions when you find yourself on someone else's wave. You need to be able to get off the wave quickly without falling or you will be seen as a kook.

So true.  Especially in crowds where you don't know who's going to get on the wave.  I go many times, glance back and kick out immediately if someone got in behind me.  Great kick out drill.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »

I go many times, glance back and kick out immediately if someone got in behind me.  Great kick out drill.

Most newbies don't look back, thus most shoulder hoppers are newbies or just kooks. Mainly because don't know that wave belongs to the person already on the wave... behind them. And usually because they are too focused on just catching the wave. Everyone deserves a chance to learn.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »
Kind of like a carving gybe in windsurfing, I try and kick out with speed and momentum and on a plane and head back outside as quickly as possible.  When riding the wave, I often peak out the back and see what's coming next.  That sometimes determines how long a ride before I kick out.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »
noted, carib--i always try to beat the closeout, when it's equally important what's coming next.

funny how improving is so much about expanding one's view--almost like "field vision" in a game like soccer.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal