Author Topic: My latest, favorite paddle non-slip material...  (Read 7860 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: My latest, favorite paddle non-slip material...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:10 AM »
Stiff ..'course I never thought about getting it off?!  So I lined up mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone. Mineral spirits took off  well dried overspray quickly/cleanly  ..didn't bother with the rest. The best news - it does not simply peel off like Plasti Dip with thumb pressure.

It took me a while to learn put on sunscreen at home where I could wash my hands with dish soap to get that beeswax in Blue Lizard off. Holding a paddle was like being in the shower in 8th grade.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:52 AM »
I haven't tried it. But if it is the same as the railsaver (and I think it is) then yes, very easy to reposition and reuse in fact. We'll have some at the CCBC raffle.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Hah, hah, the face plant after the bottom hand slips! Not too cool looking in the lineup, but that's exactly what I've done a few times too.

Cool idea, Wetstuff! I've been noticing my handle has been feeling more slippery when my hands get wet or sweaty lately, and after doing the slip and faceplant last night, this is a very timely thread!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
Wax still works for me.

I felt my hand slipping a bit yesterday, added some wax this morning, problem solved.

Pretty good waves the last few days. Small but decent considering the lack of surf we've had.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:58:21 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
If you're going to use hockey tape. I recommend waxing it. Otherwise the glue bleeds trough the tape and you get more grip than you need. Wax mitigates the stickyness and lasts a long time on the tape.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
Stiff ..'course I never thought about getting it off?!  So I lined up mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone. Mineral spirits took off  well dried overspray quickly/cleanly  ..didn't bother with the rest. The best news - it does not simply peel off like Plasti Dip with thumb pressure.

It took me a while to learn put on sunscreen at home where I could wash my hands with dish soap to get that beeswax in Blue Lizard off. Holding a paddle was like being in the shower in 8th grade.

Jim

Glad to hear it's easy on, easy off. Maybe I'll try some now and then upgrade to the railsaver if I can win it in the CCBC auction.

One more question... is a grippier shaft going to make the blisters on my fingers better or worse? I'm wondering if it's friction from frequent slippage against the wet shaft (or handle?) or the friction from maintaining a firm grip on a dry shaft that's causing me blisters lately.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
Hockey tape gave me the best grip but really tore up my hands on long paddles. Presently, my favorite is the naked KeNalu shaft. 
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
From what I've read, a loose grip is what you want.

Your fingers should be free on your upper hand and you should be holding the shaft with just your fingertips on your lower hand. I have a tendency to hold the paddle too tight and I have to keep reminding myself to loosen my grip.

Gripping too tight might result in blisters and/or calluses.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:31:48 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
Guys, I lightly sanded the shaft of my paddle with 150 a couple weeks ago and my hand hasn't slipped since then. If you're hesitant about spraying the goop on, then try sanding it first. If the shaft is still too slippery, then worst case scenario it's been prepped for applying the goop.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal