Author Topic: My latest, favorite paddle non-slip material...  (Read 7890 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
My latest, favorite paddle non-slip material...
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
I need all the help I can get ..and about the last things I need is a slippery paddle in the middle of a Grand Mal while catch a wave.  I finally found something I really like.  I tried Sex Wax ..sanding ..strips of Xtrak 'paddle grip' ..Plasti Dip ..this is the best so far.

....wet

...dry (pretty quick)

When I put gutters on the front of my house I butt seamed them right over the entry; Dumb Chit, of course that is where gutters leak!  After sticky tapes and other crapus ..this spray finally worked. 

It comes out like syrup from a broken firehose but ends up with both hardness and texture.  Plastic Dip breaks down easily, going smooth too soon. Wax is messy when hot. Stick-on paddle grip adds too much extra dimension and is too grippy.  I could have masked it better but simply spraying front and back did not load the sides.  It's  both hard enough to allow me to do the paddle-slide but still grippy.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: My latest, favorite paddle non-slip material...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:14 PM »
You  just always have to play with stuff...... don't you.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
 use that stuff on the rock rails on my jeep wrangler   it is greta but I would  never have  though about  it for  my paddle
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:43 AM »
Ya Duped  ..a chronic fiddler?! ..can'n hepmaself. 

Jim

Tahoepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
I am considering experimenting with this stuff on one of my fleet boards that I use in kids camp.  It might work as bumper guard for the nose. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
Good idea....I'm starting to have some grip issues...gonna have to get me some.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Tahoe.. Don't bother. Clearly insufficient 'cushion' for young Bumper Boarders. You might glue some Ensolite or other closed cell foam on the nose.

I had a second session in the surf today. I am unable to do those flashy, Brazilian paddle passes, but for me, it's the real deal.

Jim

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
I've had a few embarrassing situations while paddling into a wave and digging hard with the paddle and my bottom hand slips off the shaft and then my body goes flying. I was just wondering last week what could help so I lightly sanded the shaft of my paddle a little and that helped a lot. This idea of yours would help even more. I see that it also comes in white and clear too and it can be painted with latex paint. (Hmmm, I'm thinking of another project this stuff might be good for.)

Any noticeable difference in weight? It will be interesting to see how long the stuff lasts.

You always have such great ideas, so please keep em coming. Thank you!

I need all the help I can get ..and about the last things I need is a slippery paddle in the middle of a Grand Mal while catch a wave.  I finally found something I really like.  I tried Sex Wax ..sanding ..strips of Xtrak 'paddle grip' ..Plasti Dip ..this is the best so far.

....wet

...dry (pretty quick)

When I put gutters on the front of my house I butt seamed them right over the entry; Dumb Chit, of course that is where gutters leak!  After sticky tapes and other crapus ..this spray finally worked. 

It comes out like syrup from a broken firehose but ends up with both hardness and texture.  Plastic Dip breaks down easily, going smooth too soon. Wax is messy when hot. Stick-on paddle grip adds too much extra dimension and is too grippy.  I could have masked it better but simply spraying front and back did not load the sides.  It's  both hard enough to allow me to do the paddle-slide but still grippy.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:44:01 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »
Nice of you to say MG.  ..as the two paddles I used this on started at what-feels-like half the weight of FRP, this spray doesn't seem to have added anything noticeable ..'cept better handling.  I did make sure the shafts were cleaned with both acetone and alcohol beforehand ..and the the Methane was already roughed up because I broke it - I lightly sanded the top/bottom for extra tooth.

Tahoe... I did think of it before but one of the surf suppliers in FL (Rainbow Dist) has SURFCO brand SUP nose and tail guards that might be just the ticket.  They may also be available online somewhere...

Jim

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Do you think the clear LeakSeal would be sticky enough to be used as non-skid on the nose of our boards?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
Duh'no M-G?  I am pretty much concentrating on footwork in the other direction.  You'd have to break that ground.  ...and I'd be a little concerned that it might have a chemical conflict if you were shooting it on screened graphics like on the Allwave I painted.  Find a similar finish to test it where resale is not an issue.  (then post results)

Jim

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »
Rail Saver Pro makes a nice paddle grip. Same bomber material as the rail savers but with a real nice texture. Material looks like the grips of a pistol.
http://www.rspro.org/collections/paddle-grip
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
Thanks for the ideas... since I "climb the paddle shaft" to stand up.... a slippery shaft makes getting up super difficult when I am tired.

I've been waxing, but I forget to re-apply.... the spray on would be so much simpler  :)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

I stole this idea from Ponobill a couple years back on this very forum.  It's cheap cloth, "Hockey tape."  It works great.

Probably not as good as Wetstuff's stuff as his reported to stop rust! ;)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
Cool idea, Wetstuff! I've been noticing my handle has been feeling more slippery when my hands get wet or sweaty lately, and after doing the slip and faceplant last night, this is a very timely thread!

Can the LeakSeal be removed easily (e.g. like peeling plastidip)? I'd love to try it, but I'm reluctant to risk fouling up my paddle and not being able to go back to normal. Maybe I should start with something easily reversible, like the PonoBill hockey tape solution.

Stoneaxe, does that railsaver tape come off clean if you decide to remove it?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal