Author Topic: Anyone skateboard?  (Read 14220 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone skateboard?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
This is really funny, Long Island skate reunion.  Emilio's and the Mustash surf shops ring a bell?

West Hempstead HS has a curved shallow hill up to the north parking lot.
1974 started to make the first descents on my bahne flex board as a freshman. That and the tennis courts were the first serious years after a younger start on clay wheels.

We found a wave like transition up Roslyn road in a parking lot and then branched off into East Hills, banking up into driveways on the way down.  A Sports Illustrated photog took our pictures up in those hills but the photos didn't make the mag.

By 1977-78 we were pool hunting. Empty town pools central Nassau in the winter, hiding from police helicopters.  It wasn't the best of times and there were empty pools in some rundown appts and motels thru Oceanside and Long Beach.

The Palace pool, one block in from the boardwalk on Lincoln was the top for me.
Perfect deep kidney shape. Many sessions there.

Spring '79, while a contract ROTC cadet, dinged myself skating vert, playing with the coping but not yet airborne.  Got reprimanded by the military, basically chilled back to occasionally pushing around. Went to the Huntington park a few times.

End of the 90's I started up again. Early onto the Carver trucks and into skateparks. For instance if the air isn't to bad I hit the SMP park in Shanghai. Huge and big but basically empty with some smaller half size pools and roll in entries.
Or pushing around the different cities I visit.

Any time on the board definetly keeps my surfing sharper. And that's my priority.
And I just love the rolling!

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
This is really funny, Long Island skate reunion.

By 1977-78 we were pool hunting. Empty town pools central Nassau in the winter, hiding from police helicopters.  It wasn't the best of times and there were empty pools in some rundown appts and motels thru Oceanside and Long Beach.

For instance if the air isn't to bad I hit the SMP park in Shanghai. 

Totally too funny !!  Pool hunting in the winter !! Cops were a constant.  legal parks now seam like a dream.  I don't know how we heard about the Strathmore country club pool.  But snuck in, in the winter.  It was 12 feet deep,  6 feet of transition/6 feet of vert.  When you got the proverbial "3 wheels out"  it felt like you were floating, I guess you kinda were.  My favorite Marty Grimes quote "Lets face it those pools were never the same"

In Long Beach there was a little "toilet bowl" pool, no shallow end.  Drop in only, pretty gnarly back then with no safety gear.

When I go to Shanghai or Beijing I rarely leave the hotel when the smog  is  acting up

Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:44 AM »
nice santa cruz stick--had several of those along the way--best pool i ever skated was the "health bowl" in broomfield co---beautiful 10 foot deep olympic sized pool--rectangular and huge, with rideable corner transition--it was in an abandoned health club, covered with grafitti--it was "open' for about a year and we skated it constantly--shocked one day when local kids pulled up on bmx's and one just ollied into the deep end--nothing by today's standards, but in 1977 it was abig deal. gotta get pics outtaa the basement!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »
First time on a skateboard was 1971.  Clay wheeled "Surf King".   My brother still has it on the wall at his house.

Last time on a skateboard was . . . this morning. 
I have never not skated. 
Don't do what I used to - but still enjoy the feeling of rolling around. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 07:11:27 AM »
I wound up picking up this board - http://www.amazon.com/Atom-Longboards-91047-Drop-Through-Longboard/dp/B0056IY39K/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1439734082&sr=1-2&keywords=atom+longboard

I figured it would be decent starting out and I could upgrade once I get a feel and know exactly what I want.

I've only taken it out with my toddler on her balance bike but it's a blast just rolling around my road.  It's smooth, stable and the wheels are big and have good grip so they make it over everything. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal