Author Topic: Best straps & Carrying two boards plus a kayak?  (Read 3551 times)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Best straps & Carrying two boards plus a kayak?
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:50:13 AM »

What straps do you like?  I have a 20ft 1.5" NRS lashing strap that works well, but it lets out a bit of tension when I really tighten it up.  The boards are still pretty secure and I don't want to over tighten, but having the buckle slip a little when I tighten it, isn't the most reassuring feeling.

Also, I need to transport two SUPs and a kayak. I don’t think my rack is big enough for a J cradle and to lays the SUPs flat next to it.  So I’m planning on:

1. laying both boards directly on the rack
2. Strapping down the boards (two straps)
3. Putting kayak foam blocks on top of the boards, strapping the kayak on top with two straps. 

I’ll only be traveling about 10 miles, but speeds 45 - 55mph

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best straps & Carrying two boards plus a kayak?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I think all the name brand straps are pretty much alike, Thule, NRS, Yakima etc.  how heavy is your kayak and what type of boards are you putting under it?  if its a 60 pound poly boat and some nicer boards with no bags I am not sure i would do that .... or leave the kayak at home.  or get some longer Thule bars.  I deduce you are using short factory bars?  I have a smaller SUV and I can easily get two boards next to a J rack with a surfski in it

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
I use NRS straps for a drive like yours (but with just SUPs) and just knot them at the end and they hold fine.  I've heard good things about Mile 22 straps: http://www.mile22.com/Mile_22/Products.html
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
^ I have an Outback so can't really extend the rack. Rack is 38" wide, J cradle is about 9" , SUP is 31". So it would hang off the rack a bit if I put them side by side. Not by much so I bet it would still work but not sure if it would be as secure.

Those mile 22 straps look nice. $44 / pair seems pricey though for basic straps especially if I need to pick up at least 4

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
We've used DaKine Baja Straps for about 4 years, and our original set is still going fine.  They straps are 2" wide to distribute pressure, and the 12' length is enough for two stacked boards.  The buckles have never slipped and the pads beneath them protect the boards.  They're Available at Amazon Prime for $20.17 a pair.

JakeSupNC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
I use Thule express straps. Super secure, easy to use but not cheap. I have had to double up a set for higher loads. Totally worth it otherwise. I also use Inno racks on my Thule Xsporter rack. Big bucks but lockable, safe and quick to secure. No long straps to fiddle with while your board blows off the ride.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-531-Express-Surf-Strap/dp/B004MZZF4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438029765&sr=8-1&keywords=thule+express+surf+strap

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
Lakes ..just make sure the tail coming out of the buckle is wrapped, knotted or threaded ...prevented from getting loose.  Shiny nylon webbing is the most slippery - be careful with it. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
Check out Mile 22 straps, 2 inches wide, very heavy duty nylon/fiberglass buckle.  Mike will custom make lengths for you.  I had him do 21 ft straps so I could do the Blue Planet Surf one strap tie down.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »
Hey surfk9 - did you ask him about selling you just one strap?  I have plenty of good 12' straps but almost always use the one-strap method for daily short trips.  Hate buying these things in pairs

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
I just tried stacking the kayak on top of the boards and it feels quite secure when I really tighten it down.  The foam kayak blocks really squish in and conform to the top board.  I may also get some paddleboard roof rack pads.  I'm only going to do this a couple times a year (my boards usually ride shotgun with me in my convertible) so I don't want to spend a ton but obviously I want to do what it take to prevent any sort of failure.

We've used DaKine Baja Straps for about 4 years, and our original set is still going fine.  They straps are 2" wide to distribute pressure, and the 12' length is enough for two stacked boards.  The buckles have never slipped and the pads beneath them protect the boards.  They're Available at Amazon Prime for $20.17 a pair.

These seem awesome and I was about to pick some up but I measured the length strap I'll need and it's about 14'. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
The Da Kine Baja are very good, but as you say, can be a bit short for more than one board.

I've got some straps from Blue Planet that I got on a trip to Hawaii many years ago soon after Robert opened the shop. I can't remember when it was exactly but I'm guessing around 20+ years ago. Early 90s, probably. They still work perfectly now despite scores of thousands of miles of use, often in foul weather and at highway speeds. And I've taken them all round the world. In fact I've got so attached to them because they have so many good memories that I tend to avoid using them for fear of wearing them out. But in fact they are still better than newer ones I've got. The buckle is made of a kinda heavy galvanised type metal that seems impervious to even our damp miserable climate (I am from the UK), and the backing to the buckle is a really nice thick durable cordura fob with the Blue Planet logo on it. I count it as one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's surprising how these little things that do their job so well year after year can become such treasured items. I must have bought 30 sets of straps since, of varying widths, constructions and lengths, but my trusty BP ones are better than all of them.

And no, I don't know Robert and don't have any connection to the shop!

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
digger71,

I wanted 2 straps so I could double strap for long trips for security.  Email Mike at Mile 22 and ask, as he's usually very accommodating.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal