Author Topic: What size trifecta  (Read 5559 times)

kelvinpumba

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
What size trifecta
« on: July 26, 2015, 04:02:02 AM »
Hi

Currenly have 91 v drive and interested in getting a trifecta for long distance etc. Not sure if to get 86 or 96 size thinking 86 would be better as after paddle bit easier on shoulder over long distance .
Any advise.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: What size trifecta
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 05:56:33 AM »
I have had the 96 Trifecta for a year and just bought the 91 V-Drive this summer to replace my 3 year old Starboard Enduro 525. I find the 96 Trifecta a perfect complement to the 91 V-Drive and Enduro 525. In fact I find it easier on my shoulders for long distance (15mile +) than the 91 V-Drive. I have the tapered shaft on the Trifecta but a regular one on the V-Drive. I don't like the Trifecta for downwinding but racing and long distance the Trifecta is the best
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »
I've been contemplating this exact question for about 3 weeks now. I also am using a 91 V-Drive but have been wanting to add a Trifecta for distance races and paddling. Trying to decide between the 86 and 96 has been very difficult. I just found a ridiculous craigslist deal which has swayed me to the 96, strictly on cost alone. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
I've got both 91 and 101 v-drives, and I ordered the 86 Trifecta. Travis Grant used the 86 to win the Molokai this year, and I'm looking for a paddle that is kind on my body for long choppy water and upwind outings.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:54 AM »
A10, any thoughts on the V-drives vs. say, a KeNalu (original), QB Kanaha, or a Zaveral?  Better catch, or less flutter, etc?    Though I find any differences between my paddles disappear after a few strokes... Adaptation seems to happen inspite of perceptions.

Thanks in advance. 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:18:51 AM »
A10, any thoughts on the V-drives vs. say, a KeNalu (original), QB Kanaha, or a Zaveral?  Better catch, or less flutter, etc?    Though I find any differences between my paddles disappear after a few strokes... Adaptation seems to happen inspite of perceptions.

Thanks in advance.

M.S. I cant compare the V-Drive to the paddles you state there but I can to my Starboard Enduro 525 which is a similar shape to some of them. The main difference is the catch seems more solid, but the big difference for me is the exit. I'm used to twisting my wrists at the end of the stroke so the paddled flicks out, but with the V-Drive the channels seem to inhibit this flicking, and for me I don't like this. I may be doing something wrong. I only notice this downwinding / downbreezing when I am really going for it, and not under normal paddling.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

kelvinpumba

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
kayadogg how did you find 96

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »

Thanks in advance.
I own, or have owned, all of the paddles you mention. They are all good paddles, so it just comes down to intangible things about preference and maybe slightly more tangible things about your style of paddling.

As has been said many times before, the v-drive is all about the catch, and it's main feature is to allow you to go with a smaller blade than you would normally, but retain the same catch. I think it does matter whether you have paired the oval tapered shaft with it though: I have v-drives with both round and oval tapered shafts, and I feel that the features of the paddle are much more obvious with the oval tapered shaft. The downside of the v-drives is that if you don't get a good catch, through sloppy technique, you can take some air into the water with you. I don't find blade exit generally a problem like Off-Shore does, so this must be something different between our strokes, but sometimes if I get it very wrong it can be a little more awkward than other blades to get out of the water (and I am NOT saying that Off-Shore is paddling incorrectly!). The V-drives are good DW paddles because of the catch. You might prefer something with a softer catch upwind, perhaps, or if you have weak shoulders or back. But in general, there is a reason why you see so many of the top paddlers holding one.

The Ke Nalu paddles are very nice too. I prefer an oval shaft so tend to go with the V-Drives. I also prefer a slightly larger blade offset than the Ke Nalus, but again, this is a very personal thing. The v-drives feel lighter and more "flickable" in my hand than my Ke Nalus (Wiki and Maliko). But the v-drives were also more expensive. The hot-glue construction of the Ke Nalus, and the adjustability possibility are SUCH strong features.

The ZREs I have tried have been very light and stiff paddles, with big circumference shafts. I prefer a narrower shaft, and a bit more flex, so the Ke Nalus and V-drives win over that. The standard of the finish and general construction also seems a little less perfect on the ZREs I've tried. But if you are a powerful paddler with large hands and in particular like sprinting, then I could see that the ZREs would appeal to you.

When I have GPSed different paddles of the same size, length, and blade area, it is remarkable how similar one's speeds are with them, despite then often feeling quite different. I think most of paddle choice might be about matching your body to the paddle characteristics and so you might only notice significant differences over very long periods. You adjust your body almost subconsciously to adapt to different paddles, which tends to mask any immediate performance differences. So I think it might be best to trust what feels right to you - although I would also suggest that anyone trying a paddle has to use it for more than a few minutes, in order to get used to it, just because of the period of adaptation you mention.

Yesterday I tried tried a local brand paddle. It felt lighter than all these paddles (or certainly no heavier) and felt great, and was certainly not outclassed in this elite company. Looks good too. The difference was that it costs about half what a v-drive will cost in this country... hmm.. makes me wonder whether we are getting value for our money as consumers (at least in the UK). Anyway, that's another topic altogether. I might start a new thread on that one...

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »
Hi Area10! Your comment regarding the local brand paddle has got me intrigued! Any info (perhaps in a new thread as you mentioned) would be great as I always like to read up on alternatives to the main brands that are available in the UK. Cheers!

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
Thanks A10.   The oval tapered shaft was what I wa thinking for the V-drive.  I currently use a KeNalu Moloka-xTuff-s for downwinding (and down breezing, and lately even flat water..).  I agree on the QB's lighter more "flickable" feel, I took my humongous 110 Kanaha Elite out for the first time in a while and loved it's lightness...   
My ZRE is, as you stated, almost too stiff to get any feel, even though it's probably only 85 sq. inches. 
So I guess I have to decide between a 99 and a 101. 

Thanks for your opinions..
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
I have a Trifecta 96 and often use a V-drive 91. I’ve been jonesing to score a Trifecta 86 just to scope the trend. Got a good go on one this eve.

Trifecta’s have a deliciously smooth, ooozy, catch yet deliver stunning power mid-stroke if properly driven forward and deep. The mid stroke power is so awesome I figured an 86 might just deliver enough oomph while being more flickable.

Tick. Trifecta 86 just that. Soooo silky smooth yet all the power I would ever use. Sold. Me switching.

‘Nuff said, Kelvin? I could drool on…
Me 5’11 / 160 lbs riding 14’ DW boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal