Author Topic: Some tips and advice  (Read 4360 times)

HopkinsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Hopkins Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
Some tips and advice
« on: July 24, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
I have been working on boats for nearly all of my adult life, I owned a dive shop for 17 yrs so I figure I am pretty water savvy.  Belize has some great natural wonders but point breaks, beach breaks and bombs are not them so whenever a dive guest asked about surfing I told them the only breaks we get are in 6 inches of water with a coral lined bottom so not really good for your health.  Then I got into SUP about 2 years ago and the majority of the time it is flatwater exploring some awesome lagoons and rivers but no surf.  But recently I have gotten interested in this downwinding.  We get days of consistent 20knot easterly winds (today is one of them) and once you get outside the reef you get some nice swells and I think I need to check this all out.  SO looking for some equipment and technique hints and tips.  BTW I will not just throw myself in the deep end and go off to never be seen again I know my level is a zero but I want to try it and move to a 4 o 5.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Some tips and advice
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
HopkinsSUP, you have made the first step towards what I personally think is the most unique and exhilarating form of SUP there is, that if you do regularly will get you into the best shape in your life, and that is identify there is a place near you to downwind.

The most important thing is to make sure you have a route that is safe to start with, and does not head you out into the ocean or get bigger and bigger condition wise. Start off if you can on a small (wave wise) and short route (2mile / 3km) or if you are lucky to have a buddy with a boat suitable to go out in 20kt+ conditions who can shadow you, then that can work too. Just like diving having a buddy with you is also recommended so try and persuade a friend to get into this at the same time as you.

Then get any stable board you have over 10' long and give it a try. I have taken all sorts of boards on downwinders and you can get a good idea if you are going to like it on most boards. The longer the board and the more rocker it has (upturned nose) the better it will be to start with.

Then it is a question about getting a board specifically for the conditions you most will experience in your area. If you can tell us a bit more of your experience , weight, and the conditions where you paddle, and the brands available where you live there are those in this forum who can advise a specific board. In general though if you are in the ocean where you are going to get swell as well as wind blown waves I recommend a 14' specific downwind board like a SIC F14 or Bullet 14. If your conditions are on the lighter side of 20kts then there are those who think the Starboard Ace 14 is the best board around.

Other equipment that is IMO a must is a PFD and a good strong curly leash that does not drag in the water. I'm a bit of a safety nut and often go long distances off shore alone so I carry a ton of other stuff with me in a CamelBak vest and a CO2 type PFD. I can share with you what this is if you are interested. When I take beginners out I often make them wear a regular PFD and this gives them confidence when they fall which at the start will be frequent (if you are really going for it)

Finally a word about paddles. I favour a paddle with a strong catch like a QB V-Drive over the higher aspect paddles like a QB Trifecta. When you get into this you will find there is a technique peculiar to downwinding that requires rapid strokes that are way out in front of you that rely on having a solid catch and fast exit. My favourite downwind paddle is the Starboard Enduro 525. Too big a paddle is also not a good idea. Nor is a 3pc or heavy one if you can avoid / afford it.

Lastly if you like gear and figuring out where you went and your progress / speeds get yourself a Garmin or other GPS watch. Coupled with a heart monitor you will see why downwinding gets you into the best shape ever. It is like interval training or kick boxing with short sharp burst of energy followed by short intervals of rest. Expect 160bpm+.

Grab a board and your safety gear now, and if it is blowing, get out there. There is nothing in this world quite like it!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:28:41 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:22 PM »
Offshore covered pretty much all of it. Safety gear can't be stressed enough. I like a coiled leash attached to my hydration pack and a belt pack CO2 PFD. You didn't say if you have any buddies available to go. If not let someone know where you're going and have a means of communication if possible. In the winter here when I'm going off shore my wife can track me via cell GPS and I call the local harbormaster before heading out. If you have that connectivity its great but if not even extra caution is required. You making your living on the water I don't need to tell you about changing conditions but you are far more at mother natures will on a SUP than a boat.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »
Whatever you're paddling now is probably fine to start with. the expensive part comes later when you're hooked. Easiest way to start is to paddle upwind a ways, preferably before the wind had built too much, and then turn around and head back. Catching bumps is a never-ending quest for improving technique. the best people look like waterbugs, grabbing a swell and staying in the power by following it, anticipating where a spot will form that you can poke the nose through, banking and turning to stay in the power. To start with you catch little bumps to hook to medium bumps--you need speed, and the smaller bumps is where you find it.

Wind swells are like divots in the water. When you see a swell moving at some angle past your board, turn quickly and follow it. the backside of the divot is behind you, and if you reach way out, give two or three quick, short strokes--almost like patting the water--odds are you catch it. On a short board it's tough to link bumps together, but it's possible. Just turn to stay in the power, find a low spot and aim for it, as the board accelerates give it a hard stroke, using your core and push forward with your feet and hips.

Let us know when you buy your first SIC board. My guess is less than a year.

My favorite paddle is the Ku Nalu Konihi, in either the 84 or 95 size. The 84 is actually faster. Weird paddle, they do almost everything backwards and they feel like crap, but they make you go like stink.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

HopkinsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  For sure I will not be just going off into the wide blue yonder on my own, in fact my best place to start this idea is  at one of the many breaks in the reef where the swells run into the lagoon so my boat will be nearby.  Paddle out and plane back in is my plan, as well as fall off  a few times  ;D .  I have the leash and pfd etc but my boards are all a bit short and will have to do until I get to go back up to the US to get a longer one and bringing it back on the plane.   I'm using inflatable boards for ease of transportation (we use the boat a lot) and the ease of getting them down here.  Stay tuned I shall post my progress. 

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  For sure I will not be just going off into the wide blue yonder on my own, in fact my best place to start this idea is  at one of the many breaks in the reef where the swells run into the lagoon so my boat will be nearby.  Paddle out and plane back in is my plan, as well as fall off  a few times  ;D .  I have the leash and pfd etc but my boards are all a bit short and will have to do until I get to go back up to the US to get a longer one and bringing it back on the plane.   I'm using inflatable boards for ease of transportation (we use the boat a lot) and the ease of getting them down here.  Stay tuned I shall post my progress.

HopkinsSUP. I have paddled a few inflatables downwind, including a 10', 12-6 and 14' all from RedPaddle, and they all can be a lot of fun and great to start with... but IMO, nothing beats a good hard board made specifically for downwinding.. Here is the 10' inflatable...

and the 14' on the same run..

Word has it that SIC has an inflatable downwind board coming out.. Now that would be something else...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:20:14 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
Wow, my mind is going, I meant KeNalu.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
On technique this is one of my favourite vids with the master downwind teacher: Jeremy Riggs. Yes this is on SIC Bullet 17's, but the process is the same on shorter boards... but as Zoners before me have said many times, it is all about T.O.T.W. Time on the Water; so just get out there.. make sure you are not paddling constantly, and are feeling the waves and glides and have fun.

Note that Justin has the leash wrapped around the fin / tail of the board at the beginning of the vid. More easily done than you think on these boards when you fall off and swim round to the other side or the board flips, so always check this if you feel things are sluggish..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:45:45 AM by Off-Shore »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
Hopkins, you have some very good info here.  Another tip is not worry so much about the equipment and just paddle whatever you got.  Do this as much as possible and have fun at it -> in a very short time your skills will improve a lot.  Some overthink it all and get caught up with spending a ton of money on equipment - boards fins paddles - when all they really need is simple cheap TOTW.

Recently a DW friend paddled a SIC inflatable on a 5 mile run and was able to keep up to SIC hard boards ->  so it does come down to expertise.  Go out with others with more experience power and skill and leave your ego at the door -> in short order you will likely get better.

Sometimes boards do flatter you -> and those boards you should keep.  Have seen a number of paddlers switch to narrow boards and regret their decision once they try it in real world slop and chop.  We always go for stability then speed -> as sometimes you need and want as much stability as possible when it gets really rough out there.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

HopkinsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Yeah I agree with you Eagle you can't beat TOTW it is the same for SCUBA you can't beat TUTW :) .  I like researching for new equip,ent and then buying it (who doesn't) but at the end of the day I love being out on the water learning new skills and honing the ones I have got.  Thanks for the info.

HopkinsSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Sending out a big Thank You.  I spent most of this morning out on the reef experimenting on the small swells coming through one of the channels.  The start was disastrous but you know the old adage "if at first you don't succeed the try try try again".  I ended up having improved nearly all my balance problems and even planed down a few waves, they were all small and definitely my board is too short and fat but hey it was fun and I am now hooked!! 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
Hopkins that is great to hear!

I have seen the Air-Glide X-12.6 in action on a DW run in 15-20 kt breeze and can say that the person paddling it keep pace with everyone else on hard 14s and 16s.  So with a bit more practice you can get something like this -> meant for all round surf and fitness - and rock it on DW runs.

It was super easy to roll up and throw in the back of a wagon as we had no more space on the racks.  Get a lightweight carbon paddle and you should be good to go on many more adventures.  Stability is always key as it opens up so many more opportunities to have so much more fun.   :)

http://www.sicmaui.com/inflatables

http://www.sicmaui.com/air-glide-x-12-6/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard