Author Topic: Keyboard in mouth disease  (Read 8593 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard in mouth disease
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
At least you didn't ask him "What's shakin'?"

People who know me will say I have a great sense of humor, and I suppose you're trying to be funny, but personally I think your comment is in very poor taste.

If you think about it, PDX's comment is pretty appropriate in a threat titled "Keyboard in mouth disease"

Disagree, PDXmike posts the most witty, classic comments ever. Way more valuable, and entertaining than half the technical douchebaggery that goes on in most internet forums.   Don't censor the genius.

Yes we are lucky, and HM's friend would have laughed I bet.

My comment didn't get in. What I said was it is appropriate for PDX to make that comment in a thread entitled "Keyboard in mouth disease"

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
I too find PDX to be one of the sharpest, wittiest, and most insightful posters around but let's cut Quickbeam a bit of slack. He doesn't claim to be an all-knowing arbiter to taste -- he doesn't write "your comment is in poor taste." He frames his observation gingerly, "personally I think," perhaps having been triggered by something we don't know about. And PDX, being the well-intentioned guy we all know him to be, might appreciate being informed of Quickbeam's reaction.

Well you make a good point about framing observations. In my post I realized it may have come off as just a blind defense of  “celebrated forum member” pdxmike and his clever talents.  In reality it was a broader defense against censorship and especially pertaining to comedy.   My perspective is one framed predominantly from the year and a half I spent taking care of my sister while she fell to the ravages  of ovarian cancer. She was  born in 1950 and died at 58.       As the quality of her life degraded and the pain medications lost their effectiveness, the only two things that provided any relief to her were music… and comedy.  She had 14 tumors cut out of her insides and a colon wall that was as thin as tissue paper and it more than hurt to laugh, but that’s what she wanted, and she liked it bawdy.   Free speech is an important element of successful societies, comedy is sacred tonic.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
Well, I guess my opinion stirred up a bit of a hornet’s nest. As you can tell from the number of posts I have on this forum, I am fairly new to this board. So I don’t know anything about “pdxmike”, the fellow who posted the comment about “shakin”. Maybe he’s a great guy, I just don’t know. I still however found his comment in poor taste. Not poor taste because of the fellow who has the parkinsons, but rather for OP. It seemed to me that the OP was feeling a little down that he had spoken to an old friend and gone on about his own exploits, only to learn his friend had parkinsons. Some of the immediate posters after the OP offered words of encouragement which I’m thinking was of some benefit to the OP. It just seemed to me that “pdxmike’s” comments were an attempt at humour that had the affect of kicking a guy when he’s down.

Maybe it didn’t bother the OP at all, and in that case I suppose it’s none of my business. But I know how I would have felt if I was in the OP’s shoes.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »

[/quote]

Well you make a good point about framing observations. In my post I realized it may have come off as just a blind defense of  “celebrated forum member” pdxmike and his clever talents.  In reality it was a broader defense against censorship and especially pertaining to comedy.   My perspective is one framed predominantly from the year and a half I spent taking care of my sister while she fell to the ravages  of ovarian cancer. She was  born in 1950 and died at 58.       As the quality of her life degraded and the pain medications lost their effectiveness, the only two things that provided any relief to her were music… and comedy.  She had 14 tumors cut out of her insides and a colon wall that was as thin as tissue paper and it more than hurt to laugh, but that’s what she wanted, and she liked it bawdy.   Free speech is an important element of successful societies, comedy is sacred tonic.
[/quote]

Absolutely and 100% agree with these sentiments. If I was seriously ill, the two things I would want would be humor and music. Also agree with you about censorship. So I really wasn't trying to censor. I was just concerned how those comments would feel to the OP, who I had thought was expressing some emotion about learning a friend was sick. It seemed to me like he needed support. Anyway, I really didn't mean to stir all this up. And I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone or to suggest anyone should be censored. I just thought that one comment was little out of line.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »
Quickbeam - don't worry about it. I think you were just trying to do the right thing. And many of the forum members know each other well either in person, through business, or through having posted literally thousands of interactions on this forum over many years. So they can be quick to come to the defence of their friends, and in this way they are just trying to do the right thing too.

Forums like these are for expressing opinions. Generally the opinions that get voiced here are pretty well thought-through and well expressed, as yours was and so were the replies to it. Sometimes there is no right or wrong, but we learn a huge amount from reading the different opinions and wondering where we stand on the issue.

I've certainly expressed opinions on this forum that have attracted far more ire than yours has done. Usually this has been when I complain about frat-house type behaviour in regard to women, which usually would horrify the OP if directed in public towards their wives and daughters. What then follows is a predictable pattern of PonoBill first accusing me of being the Thought Police and then many others piling in to defend what was probably not even in their own minds the most shining example of adult male etiquette. But that is how groups of friends act, and they are entitled to their opinion and I am to mine; I've got no intention of being apologetic for expressing it, and nor should you be for expressing yours here. I am actually rather reassured that there are readers of this forum who would take the time to challenge another's behaviour in the way that you did. It's that sort of thing that in many ways attracts me to this forum. Good for you mate. Stand your ground. On this particular topic I actually don't have a very firm opinion - I can see both sides of the argument - but it does seem a reasonable question to ask whether the venerable joker pdxmike went a bit far this time. Of course, these sorts of questions have been asked about all the best comics throughout history.

And as for the original post, I work with a lot of people who have terrible medical conditions, and 99.99% of them would not have taken offence. They would understand entirely the good intentions behind your letter, and as psychologists will tell you, people use a person's intention when judging responsibility, far more than outcome. You are this guys's friend, and I'm sure he knows it. These things happen.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
Quickbeam - don't worry about it. I think you were just trying to do the right thing. And many of the forum members know each other well either in person, through business, or through having posted literally thousands of interactions on this forum over many years. So they can be quick to come to the defence of their friends, and in this way they are just trying to do the right thing too.

Forums like these are for expressing opinions. Generally the opinions that get voiced here are pretty well thought-through and well expressed, as yours was and so were the replies to it. Sometimes there is no right or wrong, but we learn a huge amount from reading the different opinions and wondering where we stand on the issue.

I've certainly expressed opinions on this forum that have attracted far more ire than yours has done. Usually this has been when I complain about frat-house type behaviour in regard to women, which usually would horrify the OP if directed in public towards their wives and daughters. What then follows is a predictable pattern of PonoBill first accusing me of being the Thought Police and then many others piling in to defend what was probably not even in their own minds the most shining example of adult male etiquette. But that is how groups of friends act, and they are entitled to their opinion and I am to mine; I've got no intention of being apologetic for expressing it, and nor should you be for expressing yours here. I am actually rather reassured that there are readers of this forum who would take the time to challenge another's behaviour in the way that you did. It's that sort of thing that in many ways attracts me to this forum. Good for you mate. Stand your ground. On this particular topic I actually don't have a very firm opinion - I can see both sides of the argument - but it does seem a reasonable question to ask whether the venerable joker pdxmike went a bit far this time. Of course, these sorts of questions have been asked about all the best comics throughout history.

And as for the original post, I work with a lot of people who have terrible medical conditions, and 99.99% of them would not have taken offence. They would understand entirely the good intentions behind your letter, and as psychologists will tell you, people use a person's intention when judging responsibility, far more than outcome. You are this guys's friend, and I'm sure he knows it. These things happen.

Thank you for this. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
Going back to headmount's original post--feeling bad for showing his friend his downwinding photos only to find out his friend had Parkinson's--I meant literally it was a good thing for him that he didn't say the {--bad thing--} I said.  Point was to make my friend headmount feel better by showing him that on the scale of things to feel bad about saying, his was so low his friend probably didn't even notice.  Certainly showing downwinder photos was nothing compared to the classic,foot-in-mouth, "So when's the baby due?"  :D  "I'm not pregnant".  >:(   Or my old boss's, "That'll cost you an arm and a leg" to the guy with one arm and one leg (actually, that's why he DID say it).

I wouldn't have said it to anyone I didn't know.  But knowing headmount and his personality, the fact it might be offensive only made it that much better.  If headmount had Parkinson's, I'd definitely be asking him if he's shaken it off yet.

If you google "Parkinson's jokes" you get hundreds or thousands of jokes on dozens of websites, many being support-group sites for people with Parkinson's and their relatives. Michael J. Fox and Larry David did a great episode of Curb your Enthusiasm centering on Parkinson's.  My dad recently died from Parkinson's (among other things).  Between me and my girlfriend, we've had relatives die over the past several years from Parkinson's, heart disease, cancer, leukemia, brain tumor (after surviving kidney failure), liver cancer (after war injury), another heart disease,  legs blown off (referred to as "my half-brother" prior to his later death)...Sounds bad, but many people, if they think about it, would have similar lists.  That's why there is humor. Look up jokes about cancer, adultery, death...millions.  Jokes about bakeries and puppies...nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4lFjWoFqc

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
  But knowing headmount and his personality, the fact it might be offensive only made it that much better.  If headmount had Parkinson's, I'd definitely be asking him if he's shaken it off yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4lFjWoFqc

And you'd be right.  In ensuing emails my pal has written saying he enjoys watching these days.  So I sent him links to a few DW videos of mine and DJs.  He was stoked.  It was just that initial jolt of going whoops that made me blink. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
Get him some water wings and we'll take him on a maliko run. When i gave bob his first board he couldnt stand on it for more than five seconds. Good enough, here you go. People don't know where their limits are. At the Bop at Salt Creek some people launched a geezer older and more fragile than me by carrying him into the water. He finished.

We probably shouldn't just ditch him if he's slow though. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
If you google "Parkinson's jokes" you get hundreds or thousands of jokes on dozens of websites,

OMG all this time you have been Googling your replies!!!  Such a let down.  I'd have to say the pedestal I put you on has been smashed into a million little pieces....
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »
If you google "Parkinson's jokes" you get hundreds or thousands of jokes on dozens of websites,

OMG all this time you have been Googling your replies!!!  Such a let down.  I'd have to say the pedestal I put you on has been smashed into a million little pieces....
Don't worry, I only googled that AFTER I replied.  I wanted to see how many other sickos there were out there.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 06:22:25 AM »
boring seriousness:

HM, your friend likely got a vicarious thrill hearing of your continued enjoyment of a sport he helped introduce you to. Betcha he took great pleasure learning that someone he guided has found lifelong joy in what he transmitted.

Youre good with a keyboard--trust your words--it's likely rare that they produce unintended regrettable consequences.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
boring seriousness:

HM, your friend likely got a vicarious thrill hearing of your continued enjoyment of a sport he helped introduce you to. Betcha he took great pleasure learning that someone he guided has found lifelong joy in what he transmitted.

Youre good with a keyboard--trust your words--it's likely rare that they produce unintended regrettable consequences.
+1
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
Eastbound... turns out you're right.  He has been stoked.  It was just my own insecurity and over sensitivity.  I just hadn't considered that angle.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
I'd guess people may lose out as much due to others filtering what they're saying to them or altering how they're relating to them due to sensitivity than they lose out due to people being rude or insensitive to them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal