Author Topic: Is SUP Cool?  (Read 33896 times)

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: Is SUP Cool?
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »

Nope.Generally speaking, there's nothing cool about the demographic that can afford this sport.

Wow. It never entered my mind that we're all a bunch of wealthy snobs just because we can afford paddleboards of all things.

Not snobs or necessarily wealthy. Just old guys with decent jobs.

Wow, this topic continues to amaze me.  I guess it's remnant surf bum mentality, really don't get it.  I have tons of "younger" friends that blow insane amounts of money every year on things like Auto racing, Dirt bikes, Snowmobiles, street bikes etc.  And for the more surprising examples, I have a couple of buddies that are heavy into Iron Man triathlons. Ten grand a pop for bikes easy, most have two.  Thousands every year in entry fees, travel, coaching.  SUP is cheap overall, even at the retail level. If you are wise you can score brand new boards on Amazon for peanuts, let alone trolling Craings list.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »
After the hottest day on Cape Cod yesterday, trading solid waist to sometimes chest high waves with Cyclops’ friend (I’m embarrassed that I didn’t offer my name) and a late arriving leashless longboarder, in sea water warmed by seal sh!t,  with no fresh water in the radiator and no fuel in the tank,   drunk with adrenaline, with the last ride the most magical swell - from all the way outside - right to the front steps and then the receipt of onshore spectator cheers

It doesn’t get any cooler than that!

RC

SUP-rising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »

Nope.Generally speaking, there's nothing cool about the demographic that can afford this sport.

Wow. It never entered my mind that we're all a bunch of wealthy snobs just because we can afford paddleboards of all things.

Wow, this topic continues to amaze me.  I guess it's remnant surf bum mentality, really don't get it.  I have tons of "younger" friends that blow insane amounts of money every year on things like Auto racing, Dirt bikes, Snowmobiles, street bikes etc.  And for the more surprising examples, I have a couple of buddies that are heavy into Iron Man triathlons. Ten grand a pop for bikes easy, most have two.  Thousands every year in entry fees, travel, coaching.  SUP is cheap overall, even at the retail level. If you are wise you can score brand new boards on Amazon for peanuts, let alone trolling Craings list.

I'm talking about the kids... I think they're the ones who decide what's cool.

SUP is prohibitively priced compared to say, surfing, skateboarding, parkour, breakdancing or whatever they're into.

I'm saying that from my observations, our sport seems to be dominated by a certain demographic - middle aged white guys.  Am I crazy?

Btw... Nothing cool about motocross, triathalons, snowmobiles either. IMOP.

I guess what I'm saying is, at our age, if you think you might be cool -  there's a really good chance that you're probably not.  Nothing wrong with that, though. It's liberating once you embrace it.

Cool, schmool.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:46:38 PM by SUP-rising »

SUP-rising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

I'm talking about the kids... I think they're the ones who decide what's cool.

SUP is prohibitively priced compared to say, surfing, skateboarding, parkour, breakdancing or whatever they're into these days.

I'm saying that from my observations, our sport seems to be dominated by a certain demographic - middle aged white guys.  Am I crazy?

I guess what I'm saying is, at our age, if you think you might be cool -  there's a really good chance that you're probably not.  Nothing wrong with that, though. It's liberating once you embrace it.

Cool, schmool.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
I think Standup is the coolest thing to happen to surfing since the invention of the shortboard in the seventies.

Standup is also the coolest thing to happen to flatwater since kayaks became popular in the seventies.

Paddleboarding is one of the most affordable activities around.

The problem with new things is that every kook and dork wants to try it which gives it a bad reputation with the traditional ways of thinking. Once the fad is over, it will be accepted as a cool way to surf.

It will die off a bit in a few years as the newness fades. It takes about ten years for a fad to die and find its place.

Brother, I love kayaking. As a matter of fact , I just acquired my dream boat last month.

Unfortunately though, kayaking... also not cool.

I guess everyone has their own inner (or outer) guide to what is cool.

I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 and love it, but I've hardly used it since I started standup.

Kayaks are great for when you want to relax and explore and maybe have a beer or two while you paddle.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:00:26 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

standuped

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »

I first learned of Sunny Garcia's Motocross "hobby" while watching a profile on him that featured him riding a Eco-friendly 100% re-cyclelable (pun intended) surf board.  I thought that was quite the comical contradiction in ethos.

But any hu, next time you get to meet Sunny let him know your feelings.

Oh I forgot to mention $120,000 wake boarding/surfing boats,  BTW I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't love to get a chance to Wake surf or wake board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokfXCHeQLE
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

SUP-rising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 07:35:16 PM »

I first learned of Sunny Garcia's Motocross "hobby" while watching a profile on him that featured him riding a Eco-friendly 100% re-cyclelable (pun intended) surf board.  I thought that was quite the comical contradiction in ethos.

But any hu, next time you get to meet Sunny let him know your feelings.

Oh I forgot to mention $120,000 wake boarding/surfing boats,  BTW I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't love to get a chance to Wake surf or wake board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokfXCHeQLE

Yikes.

I'm not sure if you just proved your point or mine.  ;)

standuped

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
HA, you got me there!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »
I don't know if the ocean is a place to be cool, anyway.  It is kind of an insult to the majesty and permissiveness of Mother Ocean to brag, show off, or take for granted.

I like the Hawaiian practice of asking the ocean's permission before each session, and then remaining humble and grateful.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
Cool is something that people that care about trends care about. Which means people who raise the bar on solipsism. You need to be 14 to 28 or immature well past that to really define and act on cool. You need to care much more about what other people think of you than you do about what you actually do. I haven't bumped into any of those fragile beings on the Zone. In the marketing world I previously inhabited, they were the dominant species. I don't miss them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
Cool is something that people that care about trends care about. Which means people who raise the bar on solipsism.
I'm not sure those people even exist.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »
Cool is something that people that care about trends care about. Which means people who raise the bar on solipsism. You need to be 14 to 28 or immature well past that to really define and act on cool. You need to care much more about what other people think of you than you do about what you actually do. I haven't bumped into any of those fragile beings on the Zone. In the marketing world I previously inhabited, they were the dominant species. I don't miss them.

I knows me a lotta werds but I never did hear about no solipsism. So's I went ahead and looked it on up

sol·ip·sism
ˈsälipˌsizəm/Submit
noun
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2015, 04:45:56 AM »
My son is 10 years old,   so just about everything we do is cool.   That will change quickly in a few years.

My wife is a judge of my COOLness.     SUP, Windsurf - Sometimes cool,  but often more for the geriatric.   
Bird watching - Uncool. 
Steeley Dan - Uncool. 
Backcountry skiing - cool if it looks dangerous,  then she doesn't want to know about it.

I think Cool is all in the person.   John Kerry will be Uncool windsurfing or biking in any situation ...  On the other hand,  no-one is going to call Robby Naish a dork no matter what he is up to.

Party on ...

JP

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:58 AM »
+1
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:24 AM »
Sure SUP is cool!  I'm reminded of this everytime I put my Crocs on after a session.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal