Author Topic: Surftech Bark Downwinder 14ft review  (Read 27375 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surftech Bark Downwinder 14ft review
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi Area 10 - great write up.  I may have missed it, but how does the Bark compare to the SIC Bullet 14V2 for downwinding ?
Well, I've only got the SCC Bullet V2 and, in the UK at least, that is vastly more expensive than the Bark. In fact in the UK the SIC is around $1500 USD more than the Bark. So I don't know how fair the comparison would be, which is why I didn't mention it.

But basically the SIC Bullet 14V2 picks up little bumps more easily, is a little more stable in chop, and slightly easier to control in a wider range of conditions. However in really lined-up small conditions with a decent blow behind you, the Bark can be more relaxing to ride because it seems to almost like ploughing along with the nose slightly underwater and the extra weight gives a smoother ride, whereas the SIC will slow down more if you hit the bump in front because it is lighter, has a wider nose, and more nose rocker.

So the main advantages of the Bark over the Bullet V2 are it's extra flat water speed, better upwind speed, and lower cost and perhaps durability. But the SIC Bullet 14 V2 in SCC is a superb downwind machine, make no mistake, and probably has the edge in most DW conditions IMO, whereas the Bark is a better all-rounder and is a lot cheaper. So I suspect the choice would come down to cost, how much you value flat water speed, and how serious you are about downwinding.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »
I have a Bullet V2 and agree with your assessment.  Very easy to downwind but not too fast on flat water. 

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
Ok guys I can blame you for that...
I ordered a one of the last Bark Downwinder available in Canada. Our dollar has fallen against the USD big time and next year should see a $400+ increase in price across the board plus I got a discount and free shipping.
This will be my wife's all-around board to replace her flat water board and I can borrow it when conditions are not to her liking like downwind :-)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:36:53 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
I ordered one of the last Bark Downwinder available in Canada. Our dollar has fallen against the USD big time and next year should see a $400+ increase in price across the board plus I got a discount and free shipping.
This will be my wife's all-around board to replace her flat water board and I can borrow it when conditions are not to her liking like downwind :-)

A shop in New Denver, BC has three for sale right now. Valhalla pure. One is a discounted demo model. I still haven't been able to try it yet.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
A shop in New Denver, BC has three for sale right now. Valhalla pure. One is a discounted demo model. I still haven't been able to try it yet.

Nice. I wonder why it did not show in any of my searches.
I had never heard of New Denver before but must be a very cool place with good downwind to have all these boards around :-)
Not sure how much is the discount for the demo but might be worth for you to have a look assuming you are leaving nearby and if they still have all three at the end of the season you might be able to get a decent deal on one of them.

Cheers,

Luc
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:39:51 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
According to their web page they do not ship, it has to be purchased in store. If you wait them out until it starts snowing, you could get a very good price I guess :-)
Nice find.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:46:47 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
I ordered a one of the last Bark Downwinder available in Canada. Our dollar has fallen against the USD big time and next year should see a $400+ increase in price across the board plus I got a discount and free shipping.

Nice.  Well played Luc...    ;)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »

Nice. I wonder why it did not show in any of my searches.
I had never heard of New Denver before but must be a very cool place with good downwind to have all these boards around :-)
Not sure how much is the discount for the demo but might be worth for you to have a look assuming you are leaving nearby and if they still have all three at the end of the season you might be able to get a decent deal on one of them.

Cheers,

Luc

The discount isn't too shabby at all for Canadian pricing Luc, but I wanted something a bit wider with more volume for strapping down gear, so I ended up with a Naish Glide 14 X 29.25. The Bark is a beauty though, and I was surprised to see one on the floor stands in the shop when I walked in. I would love to try one out. It probably won't sell, so she will probably end up discounting it further. 14 footers aren't popular in this region yet at all, but you go further West and 14'ers are more prevalent. Maybe the shop owner knows something I don't, but I think they will be sitting on those boards awhile unless people going west snags them. I don't live too far away from New Denver and you can check out my trip on Slocan lake (where the shop is located) in the flat water and touring section. The swells can get decently big on Slocan lake, but the wind isn't very consistent. The shape of the Bark looks great for an allwater tourer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:14:31 PM by robon »

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »
I have had the chance to paddle the Bark DW in good gorge conditions and it wasn't for me. I prefer the Riviera DW for a faster surfing
style with a little more continuous rocker and at 26 wide. Both are about the same volume but the Riviera has a wide tail with more V.
I like to walk and hop back and the wide platform performs for me
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:57 PM »
I have had the chance to paddle the Bark DW in good gorge conditions and it wasn't for me. I prefer the Riviera DW for a faster surfing
style with a little more continuous rocker and at 26 wide. Both are about the same volume but the Riviera has a wide tail with more V.
I like to walk and hop back and the wide platform performs for me
Yep but I can guarantee you that my wife will never paddle at the Gorge  like she never windsurfed when I was down there years ago :-)
28" wide is stable enough for her, 26" I doubt it, and a little bit of rocker is all is needed for make it comfortable in chop while still having a decently fast board on the flat.
It is not about me having another board :-) but for her having a nice board that I can borrow from time to time :-)
Blackfish Paddles

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
The Vapor is the new downwinder
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »
There were a number of Downwinder's on SoCal Craigslist's, right before the Outdoor Retailers event.  I guess the Vapor is the new downwinder.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: The Vapor is the new downwinder
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »
There were a number of Downwinder's on SoCal Craigslist's, right before the Outdoor Retailers event.  I guess the Vapor is the new downwinder.

California is a mine for used board, I wish there would be as many available here. Shipping from the US and exchange rate are a killer. I always look at the adds with envy :-)
The Vapor will likely be great (for me) but the selling price with CAD at 0.7 of USD is not going to reachable for Canadians.
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
So, I got a call from Valhalla Pure in New Denver regarding the demo Bark Downwinder. There is a great sale going on for the remaining Bark boards in stock. I won't mention the prices online but I will just say it would definitely be well worth the time for any Canadians on here interested in the Downwinder to check out. Kelly, the shop owner will consider shipping the boards, and buyer pays shipping, which is a reasonable cost.

http://vpo.ca/t-VPO.StoreLocator.New%20Denver.aspx

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
So, I got a call from Valhalla Pure in New Denver regarding the demo Bark Downwinder. There is a great sale going on for the remaining Bark boards in stock. I won't mention the prices online but I will just say it would definitely be well worth the time for any Canadians on here interested in the Downwinder to check out. Kelly, the shop owner will consider shipping the boards, and buyer pays shipping, which is a reasonable cost.

Arrgh...I might just have missed a better deal. Ok I won't torture myself.
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »

Arrgh...I might just have missed a better deal. Ok I won't torture myself.

Pass it on if you can Luc. It is significantly cheaper to go with the sale prices Valhalla is offering in Canada, even after taxes and shipping costs, rather than ship one over from the States.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal