Author Topic: Downwinder - Orient Point to Sag Harbor. Long Island  (Read 3419 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Downwinder - Orient Point to Sag Harbor. Long Island
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
Finally the wind kicked in and we were able, thanks to the good folk at Main Beach Surf & Sports shop in Wainscott to catch the first ferry to Shelter Island at 5.45am and head to Orient Point. The wind was a bit too NE but was a good 20mph+ / 32kph+ and the swell nicely lined up for a run to Sag Harbor.

Setting off at 7am, we had to paddle "left" quite a bit to maintain our course but some great glides were had. Arriving at Havens Beach to the east of Sag Harbor 1hr 54mins later with a total distance of 11miles / 17.6kms.

An awesome way to start the day
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwinder - Orient Point to Sag Harbor. Long Island
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Here is a picture of the put in at Orient By The Sea Marina, and a couple of the conditions today.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:05:09 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:49:49 AM »
One more pic for those considering this downwind run showing what it's like to paddle this in a Northeaster / North-northeaster.. A lot of paddling left (due South), then catch a few swells going southwest and repeat. It is still la great run in these conditions

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:58:09 AM »
And for those who are interested in seeing what this downwinder was like, here is a vid of the trip by ferry / truck to Orient Point, the launch point, and the first 5 miles / 8kms of the run. Unfortunately the GoPro died before we got all the way to Havens Beach. A huge thanks to the great staff at Main Beach Surf and Sports in Wainscott who made this all possible.

GoPro 4 Black
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:16:12 AM by Off-Shore »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:13:20 AM »
Nice looking run. Go Pro flattens it a lot but you were getting some nice glides.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:53 AM »
Great looking run off-shore.  Glad you were able to get a solid run in during your time out on the east end.  I'm in Rhode Island working during the week so wouldn't have been able to make that run.  My wife and I had a fun though short downwind run over the weekend from North Sea up past the bird Sanctuary finishing up next the the North Haven ferry to Shelter Island.  20+mph winds made for some decent bumps and some nice long glides.  I'll definitely check in with Rick at Main Beach to see if there are any future plans for a run from Sag to Orient.   
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
Nice looking run. Go Pro flattens it a lot but you were getting some nice glides.
Bob, it was a great run, and having done this both ways now, (last year we did Haven's Beach to Orient Point), this run has a lot of potential both ways.

Great looking run off-shore.  Glad you were able to get a solid run in during your time out on the east end.  I'm in Rhode Island working during the week so wouldn't have been able to make that run.  My wife and I had a fun though short downwind run over the weekend from North Sea up past the bird Sanctuary finishing up next the the North Haven ferry to Shelter Island.  20+mph winds made for some decent bumps and some nice long glides.  I'll definitely check in with Rick at Main Beach to see if there are any future plans for a run from Sag to Orient.   

PabstSUP, It was great to get the run in before I left... On your downwinder, I paddled that exact route (North Sea - North Haven) on my way to Sag Harbor in less than downbreezer conditions and so know exactly the route you went. Rick at Main Beach is the man. Great guy and experienced waterman. I'm surprised that it seems not that many have got the downwind bug there, but perhaps this vid in the hands of Rick and his crew will help spread the word..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:12:00 AM by Off-Shore »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal