Author Topic: How do you popup on a smaller board?  (Read 9592 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How do you popup on a smaller board?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
A while ago I was perusing at the 41st Street observation area.  There was a very old guy there and his wife.  He told me they lived in Oregon, but he was raised in Santa Cruz and surfed in the early 60's.  At that time, just about only longboards.

He remembered quite well and made a lot of calls on technique and surfers' failure to walk and toe the board.  He wondered why nobody was paddling and catching from knees.

He never surfed with a wetsuit, and to stay warmer and stay out longer, he and his surfing buddies knee paddled and caught waves knee paddling, not proning.

I kind of like catching some from knees because you do get the "antigravity" effect of unfolding your body in momentary weightlessness, it feels cool to be flying in the air and landing back down on the board for the ride if the wave is headed down a face.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 06:52:55 AM »
Cheat/Rat/Leave... there's no time to tarry here.  A legitimate ground swell is a rare occurrence.

Leave... I bookmarked that one!  That I need.  Can you cross your legs like in an indian powwow?  I cannot - but I can reverse them seated like froglegs.  I don't know what that means, but I suspect there's some anatomy anomaly. 

I also developed 'slap foot' in the last 6-8mos..  I look like F-ing Igor walking down the street but it doesn't seem to bother on the board. 

F-it, press on ..it all over too soon to complain.  Thanks all.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Paddle on you knees then as a swell rolls beneath you pop up with both feet at once just after you're over the crest as the board drops. Super easy. Its like a prone pop up where you let the board fall down the face and just STAND UP.

Agree, learned this idea here from Pono Bill and it helps tremendously.  Popping up right a the crest of a small wave gives you a boost.  Your feet get under you more quickly and easily.  I only pop up in the flat between waves when I have to. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
A while ago I was perusing at the 41st Street observation area.  There was a very old guy there and his wife.  He told me they lived in Oregon, but he was raised in Santa Cruz and surfed in the early 60's.  At that time, just about only longboards.

He remembered quite well and made a lot of calls on technique and surfers' failure to walk and toe the board.  He wondered why nobody was paddling and catching from knees.

He never surfed with a wetsuit, and to stay warmer and stay out longer, he and his surfing buddies knee paddled and caught waves knee paddling, not proning.

I kind of like catching some from knees because you do get the "antigravity" effect of unfolding your body in momentary weightlessness, it feels cool to be flying in the air and landing back down on the board for the ride if the wave is headed down a face.

My brothers father-in-law is an old school longboarder with really bad knees (hes real old school and refuses to SUP, we ll get him there one day when no one else is around :) ).  He knee paddles all the time and can catch anything, he also paddles sitting on his board with his legs straight out in front

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »
So I tried SupCheats method of putting the paddle vertical on the board and levering myself upright.  I'm surprised that a) zero back pain b) Very stable result c) much less effort then popping up.

The downside is it takes me more time.  When I can lever myself up from the balls of me feet to my heels it is just as painless however it has to be a smooth motion.  As soon as I hesitate I loose my balance.

I'm have switch to doing an exercise to stand up from kneeling position by rocking onto the balls of my feet and then transitioning to  heels.  Works great on the floor though in the water I end up shooting the board forward with me walking off the tail.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Thanks for the attribution, Vick, but the detailed instructions on doing it came from Creek.  Credit where credit due.  I have done it and it works well once you get the hang of it.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »
All hail Creak!
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
I hope he does not mind, but in my own mind I have taken to calling it "Creeks crutch", for which I am eternally grateful. I discovered it while watching one of his videos, and it took 80% of the pain away while getting up with my really bad back and hips. I have found that it shortens the time lost if I move my hand most of the way down the paddle shaft while I am on my knees, so that I don't have to reach as high to get the paddle into position, so that I can then use it to stabilize as I do the double heel rock that you describe. Thanks to Creek, I no longer live in such dread of of the pain in having to get back to my feet, which allows for a little more fun risk taking on the wave.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something....but why exactly are we paddling a "Stand Up" paddle board into a wave on our knees anyway?

If the board is too small to balance and paddle around standing up, and into a wave....I'd suggest you get more time on it somewhere safe off by yourself until you can (which may be what you're doing), or go back to the bigger board to "Stand Up Surf" on if you're around others out there.

Sorry, but have just encountered too many....for no better word..."kooks" in our lineup over the years, knee paddling all over the place in everyone's way, and trying to "knee drop" into waves, with zero control of their board (or themselves), and are just plain dangerous out there.

Now if we're talking about simply knee-paddling a SUP without a paddle in hand, as just a more stable longboard....

....that's fine.  But if you're trying to "popup" from your knees with a paddle in your hand like a surfer, I think you're putting the cart in front of the horse in the learning curve of a completely different sport.

JMO.... :-\
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:58:52 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something....but why exactly are we paddling a "Stand Up" paddle board into a wave on our knees anyway?

If the board is too small to balance and paddle around standing up, and into a wave....I'd suggest you get more time on it somewhere safe off by yourself until you can (which may be what you're doing), or go back to the bigger board to "Stand Up Surf" on if you're around others out there.

Sorry, but have just encountered too many....for no better word..."kooks" in our lineup over the years, knee paddling all over the place in everyone's way, and trying to "knee drop" into waves, with zero control of their board (or themselves), and are just plain dangerous out there.

Now if we're talking about simply knee-paddling a SUP without a paddle in hand, as just a more stable longboard....

....that's fine.  But if you're trying to "popup" from your knees with a paddle in your hand like a surfer, I think you're putting the cart in front of the horse in the learning curve of a completely different sport.

JMO.... :-\

This
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »
I wouldn't be that dogmatic about the knee thing.  It's another tool in the arsenal.  Just because it's favored by beginners doesn't mean it's always bad. I see proners going in on their knees all the time.

I catch waves all three ways: stand up, knee pop up, and prone pop up, and they all seem to have their place depending.

I have even seen Kirk (Mr. L41) catching waves from his knees, maybe just to try it out, but he was doing it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
I need to use a little trick to stand smoothly on my L41. I'm not flexible at all, and my left knee is weak because of meniscus damage. So I get the board moving on my knees, bring my left knee all the way to the surf position--I even grab the foot and shove it around sometimes if it's not far enough forward. Then I lean forward as far as I can while still looking at the horizon (not very far) and shove myself to my feet with a hand on my left knee, dragging my right leg into position as I stand. I'm sure it looks like I'm getting back into my walker, but it gets me up and stable. I don't catch waves on my knees. Once I'm up I try to stay up. Don't fall, don't bail, don't stop and chat. Just keep moving like a shark that doesn't want to drown. Pisses people off sometimes, but if they say something I explain that they don't want to watch me lurching to my feet unless they like to watch a geezer's butt wave in the air for much too long. That quiets people right down.

I sometimes catch whitewater on my knees to get to the lagoon or the beach, but the only thing that pops for me is my joints, and you can hear that in the next county.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
There was a guy out there about six weeks ago who passed me and said, "It looks like you are inventing a new sport of knee paddling!" Maybe it was a cut, I don't know.  I do it pretty vigorously because I like to have my self rescue options open and tuned. 

It's also a matter of learning origins and not abandoning any strategy.  There are some waves I can catch from knees that I could not catch standing up, center of gravity or whatever. I even wind up backward surfing on my knees when the wave wollops me and I can't roll over it.

I like doing everything, and will even stop standing just because I get tired of it and want to do something different.

Another geezer privilege is not needing to be so macho that I have to do something in a particular manner out of pride.

I am fortunate so far that my body hardware has held up pretty well, except for my twisted knee for seven months, which has now come back about 90 percent and is not much of a concern any more.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:11:03 PM by SUPcheat »

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »

It gets interesting in big surf with 25 mph winds and backwash  ;D ;D ;D

I was at Its beach in SC on my 7'10 and it was super bumpy and windy.  This technique worked wonderful for the 30 times I had to get back up.  And not a bit of back pain during the session or later that night.  Just awesome method.  And I find if after I get to my feet if, I stay low low, I'm stable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal