Author Topic: SIC F14 Wide Glide  (Read 13363 times)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIC F14 Wide Glide
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 03:58:26 PM »
Hope these pics come thru.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:56 PM »
This board was brand new still in box from SIC. Did anyone else's board have scratches like these? I know it's a flat finish but it looks like someone took sandpaper and made long sanding strokes haphazardly for some reason. The scratches even go thru the F-14 and SIC lettering(pic 3). I'd really like opinions on this as I'm taking it to show dealer in next 2 days. THANKS
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:07:21 PM by HanaSurf »

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:09 PM »
That doesn't look like normal finishing to me, and I don't know what would have caused that.  It does seem like the dealer should have opened the box before delivery, and no doubt you wish you had opened it too.  I would definitely ask for an exchange.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Hi HanaSurf, got your PM.  Those scratches are not normal.  If they were there when you opened a sealed plastic bag in a sealed factory box that would be a problem.  It looks the board was sanded by hand or machine.  All the SIC boards I have seen have a flat or gloss finish with no sanding marks like that -> or at all.  Your dealer should inspect and either take it back or offer you a credit in lieu.  It makes sense to have a chat with them as soon as possible.  Hope that helps a bit.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
That's what I thought about the finish. It looks like coarse sandpaper marks. I sent pics to dealer but scratches don't seem to be a priority to them. I have not paddled board I just let it sit inside my screen porch since I opened box. I'm taking board for them to see in person tomorrow. I really just want a new board as I take very good care of my boards. THANKS guys,this lets me know my position to take when I go tomorrow.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
Yes, I feel the same way about my boards.  It's probably 'just cosmetic', and it's going to get dings anyway, but I want them to be my fault, not someone's else's mistake. 

I put Rail Saver Pro on my F14.  Being wide, and being in rough water, it's easier to hit the rails than in a narrow flat water board. 

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
I'll probably put railsaver on the board I end up with but my other boards are 32" so 30" seems narrow to me ;D I just sold my Pau Hana Big Easy that I bought in 2009..no dings,no repairs,light sand scratches on bottom from beaching it while island hopping.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
Update: Dealer was in town and came by my house and looked at board Friday. He contacted SIC and they agreed to try and find me a new board or offered me a good rebate amount on this one. I took the rebate so I can paddle NOW( SIC is out of stock on this board). I'm gonna try to get the scratches out myself.

I'm VERY happy with the way the dealer and SIC handled this. Dealer was StandUpOutfitters in Newbern,NC. I bought a Naish and Yakima Rach and Roll trailer there couple yrs. ago. Family owned and Super nice folks to do business with.

Now I've got to paddle board here and see how it performs in windy,choppy touring. I'll post how it goes after a couple times paddling.   

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
THANKS to everyone who posted their views on this board. Two times out with the F14.
 1st day: Paddled out to inside point of island that enters a harbor. Water swirls like whirlpool here,tide was changing strong,wind straight into me and some smaller boat wakes. Paddled right thru middle of swirling water(I usually avoid it). The Sic handled it easily. Wind picked up some and chop increased so I paddled straight into wind,chop,and against tide. I was suprised at the good tracking and mostly that I could paddle it reasonably easy. Paddled to outside point on other end of island where chop and larger boat wakes come over a shallow bar. Very confused water but board did great straight into boat wakes so I got brave and let boat stop still and let a boat wake hit it from the side.I was ready to get wet but the board floated right over the wakes. This board is STABLE and handles confused water very well. I love it.
2nd day: Wind was about 12mph+ I waited till midday so the sea breeze was blowing pretty good. Board paddled into wind and chop good but it took some paddling strenght. Told my wife to drive down to pick up point a little over 2 miles away and I did my 1st downbreezer ever. I just did a smooth stroke with mid speed cadence and let the board catch a bump or 2 then tried to keep same paddle speed and just let board do the rest. This board just catches everything and boat wakes were really fun. Board did swing left or right a few times when hit from side but nothing violent and I never fell. This board is great for a beginner to learn downwinding on.Yes Off-Shore I felt half my age of 64yrs. which equals about 32 but when I finished and was loading board I felt like 92 :P
 The F14 is all I hoped for and more. I just gotta keep myself under control and learn slowly and not go out in crazy wind and drown. This board is confidence inspiring for sure.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
Hey, that's great!  Good to hear the dealer and SIC handled things for you, and that you are liking the board.

I had mine out for downwinders on four consecutive days:  Friday and Saturday were 20 - 25 mph, Sunday and Monday were over 30.   This is on a lake, but it does look a lot more intimidating than it is when you get out there and get going.  The F14 handled them with ease.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 03:07:14 PM »
Sounds like everything worked out with a nice little discount for you.   ;)

Hana, great to see you having fun on your new SIC board!

The swinging left and right when getting slammed on the side is normal -> just relax and go with it.  In deep short period swells this happens a lot when starting out.  Once you pick up enough speed to glide down and across the waves you will start to plane!  The swinging then goes away as you will always be in front of the swell looking for the next wave ahead to get onto.

That is what we like most about DW -> the freeing up of the concave from sticking - then standing back to let the panel vee do its thing at speed.  When that happens an aha! light bulb comes on.  Fun -> control -> and so surprisingly fast you grin ear to ear.  But do expect to paddle full power to get in so carb up and stay hydrated.

Be prepared soon for a lot more fun once you get that F14 dialed in some big breeze!   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
Great to see you had 2 great sessions and have figured out a good route and the logistics. Our "beginners" downwind run is a 4km paddle with 2km downwind leg and after doing this 4-5 times I can usually take a beginner out on a 5km to 10km run in bigger conditions. Do short runs until you feel confident to go out in stronger winds or longer runs. Getting to 1/2 your age on your 2nd run is awesome! Now if you really work at it you may be able to reduce that to 1/3rd! Don't worry about how old you feel after the run. It's all about how old you feel in the moment!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:13:36 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
1/3 my age,man you're pushing me ;D  Yep,I'm gonna work into the downwind thing slowly concerning wind speed. Almost no wind yesterday and so I toured around to a couple islands. This is a great intercoastal touring board. SIC really nailed it as a fitness/touring and downwinder.
 Fin question...I have the SIC 8.3 fin,where do most of you place it center,all way back,all way forward??? THANKS

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
Looks like I am a bit late to comment.... but i will say you made a great choice. I liked my F14 so much that i bought another one.
 I had a chance to do a DW run on a bullet V2, 2 weeks ago. Long inland lake, 2 footers and 20mph. The V2 is a rocket in conditions like that for me. I nearly bought it, but stopped because i am concerned about how tippy it will be in bigger conditions. Fast is great, but only if i can stay on it.

i am 46, 6'4" tall, 225 pounds with pretty good balance.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
I don't know about another F14 but I was at shop today getting my check from SIC and a paddle shortened and almost test paddled X-14 that's 28.5 wide but I didn't cause I was afraid I'd like the speed and buy it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal